Hello, dental aspirants! I am Dr.Sushil Agarwal, a dentist by profession, and a blogger and career counselor by passion.
Ten years of practice has provided me with enough resources to guide out young curious minds who are interested in pursuing a career in this field.
Today I’ll be guiding you through one of the most flourishing branches of medical science today – dentistry.
The college I’ll be guiding you through is National Dental College and Hospital. This college is based in the state of Punjab in the city of Dera Bassi.
National Dental College and Hospital is under the wing of Baba Farid University of Health Science (BFUHS), Faridkot. It has also been approved by the Government of India Ministry of Health and Family Welfare from New Delhi.
Based 185 km away from Chandigarh, National Dental College and Hospital is one of the foremost professional dental colleges in north India.
Dentistry today is a flourishing career in the field of dental science. To excel as a dental surgeon in society, one needs to pursue dentistry from a reputed college. National Dental College and Hospital in Dera Bassi is a college in such same regards.
In this article, I’ll be guiding you through the entire process of enrolling yourself under National Dental College and Hospital be it the course structure and duration, fees, admission procedure, hostel accommodation, and other amenities.
Table of Contents
- College Overview
- Courses available
- Facilities in National Dental College and Hospital
- Departments and faculties
- Eligibility for National Dental College Admission
- Documents for admission
- National Dental College and Hospital fees structure
- Admission procedure
- Scholarship Details
- National Dental College Contact Details
- Type of ownership: Private College.
- Address: Gulabghar, Dera Bassi, District S.A.S. Nagar, Mohali at Chandigarh-Delhi NH8.
Total seats annually for BDS: 100.
- 50 seats for Government quota
- 35 seats for management quota.
- 15 seats for NRI quota.
Total number of seats annually for MDS (in six specialties): 18
- Oral maxillofacial surgery: 2 seats.
- Pediatric and preventive dentistry: 3 seats.
- Periodontics: 4 seats.
- Ortho: 3 seats.
- Prostho: 2 seats.
- Conservative dentistry and endodontics: 4 seats.
- Hostel accommodation: Available.
- Founded year: 1999.
- Approved by: Dental Council of India (2005).
- BDS – Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- MDS – Master of Dental Surgery (in four specializations: Oral maxillofacial surgery, Pediatric, and preventive dentistry, Periodontics, Conservative dentistry and endodontics, orthodontics and prosthodontics.)
Facilities in National Dental College and Hospital
I have listed below a few facilities provided by the institute for the well being of their students and staff. I have myself been a BDS student and, therefore, I am aware of the amenities one needs at his or her disposal during the UG years. You can, thus, be assured of the accuracy of the information I provide here:
- Well furnished hostels have been provided by the authorities at the campus itself. There are separate hostels for girls and boys.
- National Dental College and Hospital is an anti-ragging college. Thus, parents can rest assured that their children is in a secure environment.
- The college hosts a wide range of acclaimed books in the library ranging from the course relate medical and dental books to journals, e-journals, and encyclopedias.
- Internet connectivity and broadband have been avidly provided in the library, making it a multimedia library.
- Keeping in mind the directions regarding computer education of students by the Dental Council of India, the college has taken a step forward. The entire college complex has been interconnected with hi-tech computer systems.
- There is a computer club for girls and boys which they can access for the latest update in the world of medical science and dentistry.
- The college has well lit and furnished lecture halls and classrooms with maximum capacity.
- The clinical departments are well furnished with the latest chairside technologies for the overall practical education of the students.
- The students will be periodically evaluated with regular tests from time to time. These evaluations and marks will be added up to their internal examinations.
- The parents and/or guardians will be kept up to date with the student’s assessment report. They will be provided with the periodic report card of the students.
- The college has a cafeteria installed for the students and visitors as well
- Transport and communication is not an issue in the campus for students can avail transport services easily
- Medical emergencies of the students will be taken care of by the respective authorities at the student’s expenses
- The college has an excellent patient flow with a whopping number of 251 dental chairs installed.
Departments and faculties
The National Dental College and Hospital has employed a set of highly educated and well-experienced staff members. The doctors are efficient at their respective subject matters. The college also focuses on the availability of non-teaching staff at the student’s disposal for the overall well-functioning of the institution.
Following are the list of esteemed individuals from the management of National Dental College and Hospital:
- Col G. S. Sandhu – Chairman.
- K. S. Sandhu, Smt. Jatinder Kaur – Managing trustee.
- Nimrat BHattal, Smt. Anureet Grewal – Trustee.
- Deepak Grover – Director of Student’s Welfare.
- Hiteshwar Singh, Dr. Vikram Grewal – Trustee.
- Ajrawat BS – Human Resources.
- Vinay S. Dua – Director Principal.
- Preet Kanwal Singh Ahluwalia – Vice-Principal.
The National Dental College and Hospital provides private residential accommodations for its students separately within its campus. I have listed down the facilities the hostels of National Dental College are equipped with:
- The students accommodating in the hostels have a wonderful campus life filled with lush greens
- The administrative body takes the utmost care of the valuable goods of students. As such, they urge the students to avail of insurance measures of their valuable goods to guarantee supreme security.
- Students need to accommodate the residential hostels of the college itself. Keeping in mind of their security, students are prohibited from accommodating in any private rental residency. This however doesn’t apply to the permanent residents of Chandigarh, Dera Bassi, Mohali and Panchkula.
- The hostels are well furnished with 24 hours electricity and water supply
- Air conditioners, air cooler, room heater, refrigerators, television sets are allowed in the possession of students only and only after necessary written consent from the respective authorities and warden(s).
- The hostels have a separate mess for the students. They are served nutritious food keeping in mind of their good health.
- The hostels are inspected by authorities from time to time to ascertain the proper discipline of the students
- Visitors are entertained only at the cost of valid identification for security and surveillance of the campus and students
Hostel and charges of the mess:
- General single room – Rs. 16,500/year (with 5% hike each subsequent year)
- Special room – Rs. 26;400/year (with 10% hike each subsequent year)
- Electricity and generator charges – as per consumption by the student
Eligibility for National Dental College Admission
The eligibility criteria for National Dental College and Hospital for BDS is the same as the rest of the dental colleges under in the country:
- The students need to have had completed seventeen years on/before 31st December of the year of admission
- The students should have had scored at least 50% in his/her 12th boards in the subjects Physics, chemistry and biology. For the students belonging to the scheduled caste or scheduled tribes category, they need to score at least 40% in her 12th boards in the subjects of physics, chemistry, and biology.
- The students should have appeared and qualified in the NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) examination held that year.
- The eligibility criteria are as per the Punjab Govt. Notification No. 5/5/2019-5HB-III/3577 dt. 06-06-2019/ Prospectus for admission to BDS Course Session 2019 issues by Baba Farid University of Health Sciences.
For MDS, the following are the criteria:
- The candidate must have completed 4 years of BDS degree under a DCI recognized university
- The candidate must have fulfilled one year of compulsory rotatory internship under a recognized university under DCI
- The candidate needs to have appeared NEET-PG for that academic year
- The candidate needs to have qualified at least the minimum percentile based on his category in NEET-PG.
- the candidate must be registered with the center/state dental registration council.
Documents for admission
The following documents that I have mentioned below are an absolute necessity for successful completion of the admission procedure into BDS:
- Matriculation (class 10th) admit card.
- Matriculation mark sheet.
- High school leaving certificate.
- Character certificate.
- Transfer certificate.
- Higher Secondary (class 12th) admit card.
- Higher secondary mark sheet.
- NEET mark sheet.
- Passport size photographs.
- Address proof and ID.
For MDS admission the above documents mentioned need to be provided along with the following additional:
- BDS degree certificate.
- BDS mark sheets.
- Internship completion certificate (ICC).
- Registration certificate from the Dental Council of India.
- NEET PG admits card.
- NEET PG mark sheet.
- Cast certificate, disability certificate (if applicable).
National Dental College and Hospital fees structure
I have listed below the fee structure of the college for each year for BDS:
- 1st year – Rs. 1,65,000 (govt. seat) / Rs. 2,20,000 (management quota)
- 2nd year – Rs. 1,81,000 (govt. seat) / Rs. 2,42,000 (management quota)
- 3rd year – Rs. 1,99,650 (govt. seat) / Rs. 2,66,200 (management quota)
- 4th year – Rs. 2,19,615 (govt. seat) / Rs. 2,92,820 (management quota)
I should also let you know that for NRI students, the fees for the entire course is US $44,000.
The examination fees for each exam are to be due prior to registration of the exams once the university publishes the registration forms. The registration fees of these exams vary depending on the year of study and the number of exams.
In case of transfer of student to another college under NEET-UG, the hostel fees is to be refunded depending on the duration of stay.
Below I have listed the fee structure for MDS:
- The US $ 100000 (full course)
The following amount needs to be paid at admission:
- 2,000 addressed to HSLIBNET
- 200 group insurance
- 16,000 computer fees.
- 18% GST will be added wherever applicable.
The fees are refunded in scenarios where the candidate is shifted to another college in subsequent counseling.
I have mentioned the entire admission procedure for National Dental College and Hospital for BDS in bullet points below:
- The admission window is open for all candidates who qualify the eligibility protocols for the college that I have mentioned above in the article.
- The candidates are admitted once in a year after the NEET examination results are declared that year.
- The duration of the course is 4 years of academics plus 1 year of compulsory internship. That accounts for a total of 5 years (4+1).
- After the results for NEET are declared by the center, counseling dates of Baba Farid University of Health science need to be kept a track of.
- Once the entire counseling process is over and you’re allotted National Dental College and Hospital for pursing BDS, you need to visit the college and provide all the necessary documents for admission.
The admission procedure for MDS candidates are as follows:
- There are 50% of seats available for govt. quota, 50% for management or minority including 15% NRI quota
- The left-over seats are filled based on NEET-PG centralized counseling by BFUHS.
- The candidates need to fill in the application form from the college attached to all the relevant documents.
- The application needs to be addressed to the principal of the college prior to the last date
- The allotment of choice of specialty will be done by the admission committee based on the merit of the candidate.
- After successful completion of the admission procedure, hostel fee and security advance needs to be paid as per Govt. of Punjab
- The fee will be refunded if the candidate is migrated to another college
National Dental College and Hospital provides humble scholarships to honorable students with an excellent showcase of merit in their curriculum. The categories of scholarships are:
- Merit/university/college scholarships
- Fee concession scholarships
- Merit scholarship for students under central and state government
The students who want to avail scholarships for different ability or any other physical impairment, or any other community scholarship programs may avail the same by providing the necessary certified documents at the disposal of the college administration.
National Dental College Contact Details
- College phone number: 01762-28261, 281378.
- Fax number: 01762-284305, 0172-2560701.
- Boys hostel: 08586955415.
- Girls hostel: 07087945963.
- Website: www.nationaldentalcollege.org.
I have done my share of research for you and listed below the distance of the college from major points:
- 5km from Barwala Chowk Bus stop.
- At a 1-minute distance from Sandwich Café and Bakery.
- At a 1-minute distance from Baba Nanak Singh Kutiya Gurudwara.
- 7km from Civil Hospital, Dera Bassi.
National dental college and hospital are one of the excelling dental colleges in India. It is well known for its academic excellence and peaceful campus life.
Well equipped with all the coming of age diagnostic technologies and updated course materials, National dental college and hospital provide an ideal atmosphere for students to explore and excel.
Dentistry is a booming profession in today’s world and in order to stand out from the saturation, one needs to avail the best of the best at his or her disposal. The national dental college is one such best.
From the job perspective, personal interviewees go through the bio-data of individuals, and the colleges they have enrolled themselves in play a pivotal role. In such scenarios, being an alumnus of colleges like National Dental College will mark you a class apart from the rest of your contemporaries.