Hey there! Welcome to yet another blog that I thought was the perfect time to post. I am amazed at the response that I get and that you are fond of my blogs, utilise them for your reference, and share my blogs with your family and friends. As we all know admissions to colleges are in progress, this is as exciting a time as any for me to make a small contribution to help you in choosing one. We also have a bunch of professional counsellors who can guide you in the admission process. So, feel free to reach out to us anytime! Today, I will be discussing one of the Top-notch Dental Colleges in India – Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College, Ludhiana.
Table of Contents
- Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College Overview
- Why Choose BJS Dental College?
- Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College Admissions
- BJS Dental College Courses & Departments
- BJS Dental College Fee Structure
- Career Opportunities & Scope
- Ranking and Rewards
- On-Campus Facilities
- College Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College Overview
|Name||Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College Hospital & Research Institute, Ludhiana|
|Address||Chandigarh Road, Ludhiana|
|Principal||Dr DS Kalsi|
|Affiliation||Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot|
|Approved By||Govt. of India, Dental Council of India, New Delhi|
|Study Mode||Regular/ Full-Time|
|Hostel||Separate boys and girls hostel|
An organisation that was founded in 1998 under the leadership of Baba Jaswant Singh led to the foundation of one of the most revered dental colleges in India called the BJS Dental College. The college is a registered private organisation that has been consistently delivering to the noble cause of providing education and crafting some of the best dentists working in both urban and rural settings.
The trust was founded along with the aim of human welfare. Its primary objective has been to improve healthcare facilities through advanced medical education and research. The trust has also been serving society by nursing needy people and providing free-of-cost medical treatments, medicines, clothes, necessities, etc. Other than these services, it includes running a community kitchen.
The prime motto of Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College Hospital & Research Institute, Ludhiana is to develop human values and welfare with devotion. The trust has established BJS Dental College Hospital & Research Institute with supporting professionals and educationists under the visionary guidance of Founder Chairman, His Holiness, Baba Jaswant Singh Ji.
Why Choose BJS Dental College?
The institution was formed to impart the best dental education by providing an ideal environment to learn with an excellent dental healthcare infrastructure. Every year, 100 dental graduates are created with a sense of dedication solely to oral health.
Apart from providing the best dental and healthcare facilities, the organisation also provides a great platform to improve the capabilities of an individual through patient-student-teacher interaction, information and practice. This institution provides opportunities to well-deserving and intelligent candidates having a poor economic background to build a career path in this field. There are many reasons why this institution is one of the best, some of which are listed below:
- The campus is spread over a landscape of approximately 10 acres with offices and buildings with beautiful green lawns. The architectural design of the college is a visual pleasure including the college administration office, all the department blocks of pre-clinical, dental, and medical departments having well-equipped facilities such as labs and a library.
- It has lecture halls that possess high-quality and latest audio-visual aid and promotes CET learning processes.
- There are separate accommodation on-campus facilities for both genders The college is serious about providing a safe space for everyone.
- Other facilities include an auditorium, cafeteria, sports complex, and recreation area.
- The institution employs highly qualified doctors and educationists who associate to form an environment for quality education and premium health care.
- The curriculum concentrates equally on educational lectures, practical sessions, group discussions, lab demonstrations and clinical practices, workshops, seminars, and conferences.
- The faculty also concentrates on inculcating basic human values among students.
- Believing that a healthy mind lives in a healthy body, the institute encourages physical activities and fitness and mental health among the staff and students.
- All the activities are guided by trained professionals specialised in the sports field.
- This includes various sports and games such as football, volleyball, basketball, table tennis, carrom, and badminton.
- Annual Sports Week also happens every year to encourage students to be involved in physical activities and develop sportsmanship.
- The institution not only trains the students to perform well in their academics but also encourages them to be involved in co-curricular activities. This would make the young dentists showcase their talents in various art forms.
- The platform is created for them to perform through various occasions such as festivals – Lohri, Diwali, etc. – and college functions – freshers day, farewell, and annual day celebrations.
- Anti-ragging committees and squads are formed by the institution and it is the responsibility of the committee or quad to see that all the committee’s recommendations are observed.
- Depending on the nature and intensity of the offence, the individual would be punished or fined.
Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College Admissions
To become a dentist, one has to complete a five-year undergraduate degree or Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) and then, to become a specialist, a postgraduate degree or Master of Dental Surgery in a specialised field. This section will specifically cater to details and steps to be followed during admission.
Requirements for Admission to the BDS Programme
|Courses Offered||Duration||Number of Seats|
|BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)||4 years of classroom sessions and 1 year of internship||100|
|MDS (Master of Dental Surgery)||3 Years||–|
- The candidate must have completed the age of 17 years on or before 31 Dec of the year of admission.
- The candidate should have passed the qualifying examination
- 10+2 higher secondary examination or equivalent comprising the subjects Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Mathematics or any other electives with English at a level not less than the course of English recommended by the NCERT.
- For candidates belonging to the General category, the mark taken should be a minimum of 50% taken together in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English.
- Candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe, or Other Backward Class should obtain a minimum of 40% marks taken together in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English.
- Candidates should have passed NEET-UG
For NRI Candidates
- The applicants are required to obtain an Eligibility Certificate from Baba Farid University of Health Sciences by applying through the said application proforma on the payment of Rs. 1000.
- The applicants are required to attach the following documents (original and photocopies duly attested by a competent authority):
- Mark sheet of 10+1 or equivalent examination.
- Mark sheet of 10+2 or equivalent examination.
- Explanation sheet of grade
- A photocopy of the certificate of examination
- Birth certificate
- Code of Conduct certificate from the previous institution
- Proof of NRI status
All the applications are to be sent to the official address of the University before the deadline.
- After receiving the Eligibility Certificate, the candidate can now move on to apply to the college.
- Selection of students is solely based on merit as per the Punjab Government.
- The candidates should attach the following documents duly attested by a competent authority:
- 10+1/equivalent mark sheet.
- 10+2/equivalent mark sheet.
- Explanation sheet for grades.
- Birth certificate.
- Certificate of Examination.
- Code of Conduct.
- Eligibility Certificate.
- Three latest passport size colour photographs signed and attested.
- Candidates belonging to category I and II* are required to submit photocopies of passport of father/candidate and proof of ancestral background of Punjab/other states.
- DD/Cheque for US $500 or equivalent in Indian Rupee.
(*Category-I NRIs are those who originally belong to Punjab; Category II NRIs are those who originally belong to an Indian state other than Punjab.)
- Candidates applying for MDS must have a recognized degree of BDS under an Indian University for a recognized dental college or an equivalent qualification recognised by the Dental Council of India.
- Candidates who have a PG Diploma recognized by the Dental Council of India (2 years in a specialisation) are also eligible (for the same speciality).
- For NRIs, the person should be registered as a dental practitioner in the country in which he has obtained the basic degree recognized by their respective dental council.
- Selection process is strictly based on academic merit.
- Any of the below procedures can be followed to apply for PG Diploma or MDS Degree courses:
- Through the competitive examination held by the State Government.
- Through the competitive examination held by the Central Government (NEET-PG)
- Combination of the above two
- For applying to the same university, admission can be based on the cumulative score of the BDS (1-4) examination.
- The minimum percentage for eligibility is 50% for General Category and 40% for candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe.
- For non-governmental institutions, 50% of seats are filled by the competent authority, while the remaining 50% are filled by the management on a merit basis.
- NEET MDS marks.
- NEET MDS admit card.
- Mark sheet of BDS 1st-3rd year.
- BDS degree certificate.
- Provisional certificate.
- Certificate stating the completion of internship.
- Birth certificate or any other certificate as proof of birth.
- Valid ID proof.
- Community certificate.
- Medical certificate for physically handicapped (if applicable).
BJS Dental College Courses & Departments
The undergraduate degree BDS comprises five years with a minimum of 240 lecture days in each year. There will be a university examination at the end of each year.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
In a course curriculum that spreads across five years of full-time classroom learning, the students are expected to learn all the fundamentals of dental sciences and education. What works as the perfect beginning for a dentistry student is the round-the-year internship programme that is mandatory for learning basic practical skills to operate on critical cases of dental conditions.
|BDS First Year||First year BDS course comprises the following subjects:
|BDS Second Year||The second year comprises the following subjects and preclinical practicals:
|BDS Third Year||Three new subjects are included in the third year.
Exams of the following subjects will be held in the upcoming years:
|BDS Fourth Year||Four subjects are included in the fourth year BDS examination
Exams of the following subject are to be held in the final year:
|BDS Final Year||Four subjects are included in the final year examination.
Internship: A compulsory internship is provided for the final-year students for one year.
Departments in BJS Dental College & Hospital:
|Prosthodontics||It deals with the process of restoring natural teeth with artificial ones in case of damage or missing. It includes the following kinds:
|Periodontics||This involves treatments like bone grafts, gingival grafting, flap surgery, gum surgery, etc. along with polishing and scaling.|
|Pedodontics||This deals with dental health issues among children and adults and involves treatments such as filling, extraction, minor surgeries, etc.|
|Orthodontics||This department specializes in treating the positioning of teeth, jaws, and face.|
|Oral Medicine & Radiology||Treatment of oral mucosal diseases. This department provides services in Forensic Odontology too. This works with the aid of the Radiological Section which includes X-ray, Radiovisiography, Orthopantomogram, and Intraoral camera.|
|Conservative Dentistry||Root canal treatment and preservation of teeth. Also includes bleaching, tooth restoration, and pulp management.|
|Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery||Deals with the surgical procedures to treat diseases and disorders in the jaw and other parts of the mouth.|
|Clinical Laboratory||Hematology (diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases related to blood); Clinical Biochemistry (measurement of chemicals in body fluids); Histopathology (diagnosis and study of diseases in tissues); Clinical Pathology (study of the cause and effects of a disease).|
|Mobile Health Care||24/7 healthcare for immediate treatments such as in cases of trauma. It mainly serves rural and semi-urban areas, schools, and colleges with modern facilities within.|
BJS Dental College Fee Structure
The Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College fees structure for the admission of NRI applicants as given on the official website can be assessed below. An amount of $ 40,000 is to be paid fully or in instalments. The instalment as deemed fit by the college administration is given below:
|Fee Instalments For BDS Programme||Amount (in USD)|
|1st Instalment (at the time of admission)||20,000|
|2nd Instalment (after one year)||10,000|
|3rd Instalment (two years after the first payment)||10,000|
If the applicant chooses to pay in instalments, he or she has to provide a bank guarantee for the residual fee. The fee payment is accepted only as foreign currency from their own or their parent’s bank account.
Career Opportunities & Scope
BJS Dental College provides great opportunities for students to take a good career path. It mainly focuses on providing opportunities to students of poor economic backgrounds and serves them with better careers in the field of dentistry.
At the end of the BDS course, i.e., the final year, every student has to undergo one year of compulsory internship. BDS degree is given only after the successful completion of the internship.
Scope After BDS
- Candidates who have graduated BDS can opt for higher studies such as various specialities in postgraduate degree MDS.
- There is also a scope to go as a lecturer in dental colleges.
- Own a private clinic, host free health camps, dental checkups, awareness, etc.
- One can also choose to work in top hospitals and research areas.
Top Recruiters for BDS Graduates
- Government jobs such as Army Dental Corps; Dental Officer in Indian Navy and Indian Air Force; Dental Surgeons, etc.
- BDS graduates can work as practitioners in the hospital of the same university they have studied.
- Top hospitals such as Apollo, Fortis, KIMS, etc.
Ranking and Rewards
Having great facilities, the college encourages students to develop their knowledge and skills. It provides a friendly and compatible environment for the students to learn. Most importantly, the institute makes the students feel like being at home.
Staff members are always available to look after each student’s concerns. The college provides more practical training to students to apply their knowledge in the field and develop a good doctor-patient relationship.
BJS Dental College strives for excellence in education through ultra-modern infrastructure and efficient medical training. The college has highly qualified faculty who train the student through education and research as well as human values by creating a positive patient-student interaction.
The BJS Trust has been continuously nursing the needy with the best medical care free of cost, also by providing medicines, clothes, and other essentials. It also runs a community kitchen. The trust is also engaged in charitable activities such as organising health camps for providing services through patient care, community outreach, and education and research.
The campus is built with great planning and architecture and spreads more than the area of 11 acres. The department blocks are separated by green lawns. Each department has well-equipped labs. The college has lecture halls with advanced audio-visual aids.
The college auditorium hosts a spacious stage where students perform their co-curricular activities and showcase their talents, and various cultural events are conducted here.
Sports Complex and Recreation Centre
These spaces are occupied for physical activities and various games such as table tennis, carrom, basketball, volleyball, etc.
The institute has an air-conditioned library with sufficient seating capacity. The library is occupied with books, foreign and Indian magazines, and journals that provide students and staff with the latest information in technology and medical science. It also has CDs and a printer for making photocopies and printouts of the necessary information. It is equipped with a computerised catalogue and an internet facility.
The campus has separate hostels for boys and girls accommodating around 500 students. Each hostel is spacious and has well-furnished rooms. Hostel facilities include a 24-hr generator, telephone, recreation area with indoor games such as carrom, chess, etc., gym, hot water, free WiFi, medical aid, 24/7 security service, and entertainment such as TV, and newspaper, etc.
The hostels have the best mess with homely and tasty food. Students can feel safe without worry. Hostel wardens are always available in case of any issue.
The college cafeteria is present on the college campus. It provides delicious food at an affordable cost for students and staff members.
As of now, the college has two buses that provide transportation for the staff and students.
It is quite obvious that every student appearing for the board and entrance exams is under the stress of thinking about what should be done next, what field should be chosen, and which college. Well, we know that and which is why we provide the services that would be helpful for students who are in search of the best education centre as per their interests. We can make your admission process easier. Therefore, get in touch with us if you wish for a trouble-free leap to the next phase of your life!
College Contact Details
Address: Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College Hospital & Research Institute. Chandigarh Road, Ludhiana – 141 010, Punjab. INDIA.
- Phone: +91-161-5055162, 5055163, 2677706.
- Email: email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the courses offered by Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College Hospital & Research Institute?
The courses offered by BJS Dental College Hospital & Research Institute are BDS and MDS programmes.
2. Does the college have a hostel for boys and girls?
Yes. There are separate hostels for boys and girls.
3. Who is the chairman of BJS Dental College Hospital & Research Institute?
Baba Jaswant Singh Ji is the chairman of BJS Dental College Hospital & Research Institute.
4. How long are the BDS and MDS courses?
The BDS course is for 4 years in addition to a one-year mandatory internship. The MDS course is for three years.
5. Is transportation available?
Yes, transportation is available. The college has two buses for easy commuting.
6. What are the facilities provided by BJS Dental College?
Hostel, cafeteria, dental hospital, library, sports complex, etc.
7. What is the total number of seats available for first-year BDS?
100 seats are available in total at the time of admission.
8. How are the faculty in BJS Dental College?
Faculty members are well trained and well qualified working hard to provide an excellent education. They emphasise less on lectures and concentrate more on practice.
Check out my detailed post on other dental colleges, if you are looking for one:
One Small Ask:
Could you please put up a review regarding your views and know-how about Baba Jaswant Singh Dental College Hospital & Research Institute being an alumnus or a student pursuing a degree in BDS or MDS from the college. This effort of yours can help the potential dentistry candidates in their future educational endeavors.