Hey everyone, and welcome back to our blog! Are you confused about which dental college to take admission in? Whether they offer any scholarships, and what are the placement scopes in the future! We have made a blog to answer all your questions, especially for you. If Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam is in your mind, read this article carefully. We have compiled all the information regarding the college, the infrastructure they offer, the fee structure, and the courses offered.
Before Getting Started, review our blog on List of All Dental Colleges in India- The Only Complete List Available.
Table of Contents
- Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam Overview
- Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam Admission
- Mar Baselios Dental College Courses Offered
- Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam Fees Structure
- Placement and Scope
- Awards and Achievements
- On-Campus Facilities
- College Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam Overview
The Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam has one of the best administrations and teaching faculty. The college has all the latest tools and teaching methods to cater to all dental care needs.
The college has enrolment in BDS and MDS courses with different fee structures and seats offered annually. All two courses are affiliated with the Kerala University of Health Science and are recognized and approved by the Dental Council of India.
|Name||Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam|
|Address||Nellikuzhi-Thankalam Road, Thangalam, Ernakulam, Kothamangalam, Kerala 686691|
|Affiliated to||The Kerala University of Health Science|
|Recognized by||Dental Council of India|
|Approved by||Dental Council of India|
|Hostel||Provided for both boys and girls|
The college’s mission is to develop and maintain both theoretical and experiential training at the same time. Students at the college get exposure to preclinical and clinical components of dental surgery. Students are encouraged to learn ethical practices and a more sensitive and effective way to care for patients.
- To become an institute of excellence in imparting quality dental education.
- Fostering innovative research and facilitating equitable state-of-the-art dental care for promoting optimal oral health in society.
Why Choose Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam?
- Best Quality Infrastructure
The highlights of the MBDC Campus are as follows:
- Six dental blocks spread over 7 acres.
- A Central Library with vast resources.
- Air-conditioned “Smart Classrooms.”
- Fully “Wi-fi” campus.
- Modern conference halls.
- Canteens – from fast food to full-fledged cafeterias.
- Parent hospital with 300 beds.
- Separate hostels for men and women.
- Facilities for outdoor and indoor sports.
- ATM facility.
- Staff quarters.
- Staff club.
- Research Facilities.
- Anti-Ragging Cell
With an independent anti-ragging cell, the college offers a safe environment to all its students.
Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam Admission
Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam offers two courses, BDS and MDS. According to the guideline, the Dental Council of India recognizes both courses with a curriculum.
|Bachelor Of Dental Surgery (BDS)||60|
|Master Of Dental Surgery (MDS)||Subject to change every year.|
|Ph.D. (Department of Oral Pathology)||Subject to change every year.|
Departments Offering Specializations for MDS:
|Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics||3|
|Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery||2|
|Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge and Oral Implantology||2|
|Oral Medicine & Radiology||3|
|Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics||3|
|Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry||3|
- Admissions to BDS or MDS take place through the national-level NEET exam. NEET UG is mandatory for candidates wishing to be admitted to the BDS course. NEET MDS is compulsory for candidates who want to take admission to the MDS course at Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam.
- To be eligible for the course, the student must attain a minimum of 50% in the 10+2 qualifying examination with science as the subject.
- The candidates will be qualified for admission by meeting the eligibility criteria.
- After this, the candidates can enroll in counseling and take admission to the BDS or MDS course at Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam.
BDS Eligibility Criteria
- Candidate must be a bonafide citizen of India.
- Candidate must have completed 17 years of age at admission.
- Candidate must have passed 10+2 or an equivalent course in the science stream from a recognized Indian University or Board of Secondary Education.
- OR B.Sc. (Part I) examination of an Indian university with one or more of the above subjects, provided he/ she had passed the remaining subjects in the Intermediate examination or its equivalent.
- Candidate must have scored not less than 50% marks in the aggregate in science subjects and English in the qualifying examinations. For SC/ ST, the minimum score shall be 40%.
- Candidate must be medically fit.
Documents Required for BDS Admission
- S.S.C. (10th std.) marks card.
- H.S.C. (12th std.) marks card.
- Migration certificate by Board.
- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET).
- Transfer certificate.
- Date of birth certificate.
- SC, ST, and OBC students should produce caste and income certificates.
- Physical fitness certificates with identification marks.
- Blood group report.
- Four passports and two stamp-size photographs.
- Passport & visa copies in case of foreign students.
- Photocopy of student’s PAN card.
MDS Eligibility Criteria
- The candidate should have cleared B.D.S. from a recognized institute and completed 1-year compulsory rotatory internship.
Documents Required for MDS Admission
- Original rank card of NEET examination.
- S.S.C. (10th std) marks card.
- Transfer certificate from where the B.D.S. was completed.
- First to final year BDS marks cards.
- Degree certificate.
- Compulsory internship completion certificate for one year.
- Registration certificate from the State Dental Council of India.
- Migration certificate from the university where BDS was completed.
- Physical fitness certificate with marks of identification.
- Photocopy of student’s Aadhar card.
Ph.D. Eligibility Criteria
- The candidate must hold a master’s or postgraduate degree in dentistry (or a degree equivalent to it by KUHS).
- The minimum qualifying score for the same is 50%.
- The candidate must also appear for the entrance examination (unless exempted from the same).
The following are the requirements for those who want to pursue a part-time Ph.D. course:
- The candidate must be a permanent teacher and academic/research/scientific staff with at least three years of continuous Post PG teaching experience at an institution affiliated with KUHS.
- The same applies to candidates with three years of post-postgraduate teaching and research experience at KUHS-affiliated universities and development laboratories under the Government of India, Government of Kerala.
- Candidates with five years of continuous teaching/research experience and three research publications qualify for the part-time Ph.D. program.
Note: Candidates applying for part-time Ph.D. must have a No Objection Certificate from the institution they’re working in, stating they are permitted to pursue the same.
Mar Baselios Dental College Courses Offered
The college provides a BDS course demonstrating each specialization’s basic theoretical sciences and clinical dentistry skills. The three components of this course are:
- First, is that the course has subjects that are common to medicine.
- Second, it deals with all the oral and dental tissues.
- Third, it deals with clinical dental skills.
MDS is a 3-year long course that focuses on one particular field. The seven specializations offered by Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam are:
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Provide the best orthodontic treatment with the best possible hygiene measures.
- To relieve the patient of any pain caused due to TMJ problems.
- Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery
- Sterilization and disinfection.
- Needle stick injury protocols.
- Patient feedback system.
- Management of medical emergencies.
- Patient-friendly atmosphere.
- Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge and Oral Implantology
- Feedback Box – To deal with the concerns and queries of the patients.
- Patient preference to those who require emergency treatment.
- Oral Medicine & Radiology
- COVID Screening – Special screening and patient evaluation during the pandemic.
- Integrated teaching.
- Advanced treatment modalities like CBCT, lasers, and TENS.
- Centralized sterilization units.
- Fully functional Tobacco Cessation Centre.
- Prevention and treatment of periodontal diseases.
- Maintenance of periodontal health.
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- All treatments are offered at concessional rates without diluting the quality.
- Monitoring of sterilization and disinfection protocols.
- Regular monthly staff meetings to review department functioning.
- Interdepartmental clinical club meetings.
- A patient-friendly atmosphere.
- Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry
- Identify and differentiate between normal and abnormal somatic dentofacial and psychological growth and development.
- Diagnose and plan appropriate therapy for common oral health problems for children.
- Provide treatment for mentally, physically, and emotionally handicapped children.
- Recognize and manage medical emergencies commonly encountered in children and adolescents undergoing treatment.
- Develop a preventive program for an individual patient.
- Make appropriate referrals.
|Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics|
|Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery|
|Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge and Oral Implantology|
|Oral Medicine & Radiology|
|Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics|
|Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry|
Ph.D. Programme – Department of Oral Pathology
The Ph.D. program at Mar Baselios Dental College has started recently. It is one of the first private dental schools in Kerala that KUHS has recognized as the Center for Research in the Department of Oral Pathology.
The Ph.D. program is designed for those who wish to master their oral pathology skills and gain full knowledge to become professionals and researchers.
Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam Fees Structure
The Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam fees are different for BDS and MDS. The fee structure also varies from one MDS specialization to another. For more information regarding the fee structure and the aids available, contact the college.
The college also assists those who cannot pay the fees in one go and those who require a loan. Contact the college at your earliest via email or through the contact number provided in the article. The college is quick in responding to all queries.
Note: The MDS seats are subject to change every year.
Placement and Scope
After graduation, the students can either continue with MDS in their choice of specialization or can opt for a master’s in a different field. These include a clinical research course, forensic odontology short courses, or a master’s degree in the same field.
While many students opt for a master’s, you can also work in a government or a private college. This will not only enhance your dental skills but will also give you an excellent hands-on experience. Government colleges also hire dental graduates as teaching faculty.
Some of the hospitals that hire dental graduates are:
Awards and Achievements
The college has achieved several awards due to its hard-working students. Some of the achievements of the students are:
- Dr. Christy Mariam Kurian ranked first in the final year batch 2016 Prosthodontics exam.
- Dr. Renu Jagan stood first in the second-year batch in 2014.
- Dr. Aleena Jose got 15th rank in NEET-MDS.
- Dr. Jincy Alex got the 112th rank in NEET-MDS.
With a vast library, the college offers books, journals, and other helpful study materials to the BDS and MDS students.
The college offers a clean and spacious canteen that offers many eatables.
It was the first of its kind initiative taken by the college. This initiative was taken to encourage a healthy lifestyle amongst all the students on campus.
The college offers boys’ and girls’ hostels. The various hostel facilities include:
- Wifi Access.
College Contact Details
- Address: Nellikuzhi-Thankalam Road, Thangalam, Ernakulam, Kothamangalam, Kerala 686691.
In case of any inquiries or further assistance in any manner, please feel free to contact us. We are always ready to help you in selecting your dream dental college.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What specializations are offered for MDS at Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam?
The college offers MDS in 7 specializations.
2. Does the college have an anti-ragging committee?
Yes, the college has an anti-ragging committee that sees to any ragging activities on the campus.
3. How many seats are there for BDS students?
The college offers 100 seats annually for the BDS course.
4. Are there hostel facilities available at the Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam?
The college offers excellent hostel facilities with good mess facilities providing food to all its students on campus.
5. Is the NEET admit card mandatory to be submitted during the admission process?
Yes, the NEET admit card is a must and a mandatory document to be submitted during the admission process.
6. What is the stipend offered for the BDS and MDS students?
Being a private college it does not offer any stipend to BDS or MDS students.
7. How is the campus at Mar Baselios Dental College Kothamangalam?
The college offers a safe environment for all its students whether enrolled in BDS or MDS. In addition, there is an anti-ragging cell that keeps a tab on all the activities on campus.
Note to readers
If you have any other helpful information, please add it in the comments. Your valuable time and efforts are appreciated. Thank you for taking out the time to read our blog. We assure you that we will keep you updated on all the information regarding the dental college.