Looking for colleges while considering your prospects can be a very frustrating job and it can take a serious toll, especially after the added pressures of your final board exams. It’s a worry none of us wants to take but has no other way to skip. Even a simple help from someone can seem like a blessing in disguise under such circumstances and this is the reason we do what we do. We are here to guide you every step of the process by bringing you a variety of options for private dental schools across the country so that you can make a well-informed choice. Today, we are talking about Sri Ramachandra Dental College Porur (SR Dental College) so let’s dive straight into it.
Table of Contents
- Sri Ramachandra Dental College Overview
- SR Dental College Admissions
- Courses and Departments
- SR Dental College Fee Structure
- Placements & Career Scope
- Rankings and Awards
- On-Campus Facilities Offered
- College Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
Sri Ramachandra Dental College Overview
|Name||Sri Ramachandra Dental College and Hospital, Porur|
|Address||No.1 Ramachandra Nagar, Porur, Chennai – 600 116, Tamil Nadu, India.|
|Chairperson||Shri. V.R. Venkatachalam|
|Hostel facilities||Available for boys and girls|
|Dean||Dr K Balaji Singh|
|Recognized By||Dental Council of India, Govt. of India.|
|Affiliated to||Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research.|
Established in the year 1995 as a part of Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute which was established by Sri Ramachandra Educational and Health Trust, it is one of the best private dental colleges in the country. With its extraordinary facilities, world-class infrastructure and endless seam of opportunities for its students, the institute also excels in its laboratories along with the teaching faculty.
- Sri Ramachandra Dental College Porur offers 2 courses for its dental students which include the undergraduate and the postgraduate program under the various departments of dentistry that the college has.
- There are 8 departments in the institute that provide some of the best course curricula concerning both the BDS and MDS programmes. Eight specialities are offered for students who want to pursue an MDS degree. (Continue reading to know more about these departments!)
Sri Ramachandra Dental College Porur brings to its students, some of the most competitive educational programmes that help them produce the best dental practitioners. The ultimate vision is to contribute to the noble cause of bringing dental healthcare services to the doorstep of every Indian household.
The preservation of ethics and values is of the utmost importance for this institute along with healthcare and research. Providing education to all without any prejudice is a prioritcapacities should receive quality education which is a basic right for all.
Why Choose SR Dental College?
Sri Ramachandra Dental College Porur is one of the best choices for a private dental institute for quality education in the field of dentistry. This can be seen in the best practices that the institute abides by and is such valuable additions to the lives of students. So, let us look at some of the many reasons why this institute might be the one for you.
- IQAC Organization
By putting the standard of education at the forefront of development, the university started its accreditation process back in 2003 and got Sri Ramachandra Dental College and Hospital accredited by NAAC which enhanced the quality of research and education manifold.
- Handling Covid
With the recent devastations of covid across the world, it had been a test for various institutions, especially education to keep up with the changing times. Under such situations, SR Dental College has made sure that the faculty is well trained in online facilities by providing the best organizational support. They started with their online education and provided the best digital facilities in such tumultuous times.
Not only are the faculty well trained and approachable, but they are also the best in their respective fields and aim to provide only the most student-friendly education process so that learning can be an accessible option for all with any sense of bias.
SR Dental College Admissions
There are a lot of things that might have convinced you to follow your passion in the field of dentistry and you might have chosen Sri Ramachandra Dental College Porur if you have come this far. So if you want to know more about their admission procedure, you have come to the right place. Read on to know the detailed admission procedure for admission to Sri Ramachandra Dental College and Hospital.
- For admission in the Bachelor of Dental Surgery program and Master of Dental Surgery program, one must have qualified for the NEET UG examination and NEET MDS examination, respectively, which happens countrywide.
- After the NEET results are declared, the candidate must appear for state counselling in Tamil Nadu after which they can choose their respective college and lock the choice filling option.
- The college will release a merit list after the counselling procedure and you will get admission based on that.
- You must produce the original list of documents that the institute has asked for document verification.
- You must then pay the fee through preferably RTGS.
- The cut-off marks will depend on the results of the NEET exam after which the college will release a merit list.
- In the year 2021, the cut of rank for the MDS Conservative Dentistry course was 1048 in the first round and 966 in the second.
- In the same year, the cut-off for the BDS program was at the 50th percentile for the unreserved category.
Documents Required for BDS
The documents listed below should be both available in original form as well as in copies for submission at the time of admission by the candidates.
For Indian students:
- Birth Certificate.
- Migration Certificate or Transfer Certificate.
- Character Certificate.
- NEET admit card.
- NEET rank letter.
- Allotment letter.
- Class 10th certificate.
- Class 12th mark sheet or any equivalent examination.
- Covid vaccination certificate.
- 4 passport size photos and 2 stamp size photos- all coloured along with passport-sized photos of father, mother, and/or Guardian of the candidate.
For NRI candidates, additional documents as follows are required-
- Any equivalent certificate from the Association of Indian Universities.
- Passport with VISA/OCI/PIO.
Documents Required for MDS
- Admit card of NEET-MDS.
- Scorecard of NEET-MDS.
- A birth certificate or other certificate containing the student’s date of birth
- BDS degree.
- BDS certificates for all years.
- Certificate or report card for 10+2.
- Certificate for the required rotatory internship.
- Dental registration, either temporary or permanent, with the appropriate state dental council.
- Certificate of Transfer.
- Migration certificate.
- Current passport-size pictures.
- Father or Guardian’s Most Recent Income Document (Original).
- The student’s Aadhar card.
Courses and Departments
Courses Intake Capacity
|Name of Course||Duration||Seats|
|BDS||5 years (Including 1-year Internship)||100|
|M.D.S. Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge||3 years||4|
|M.D.S. Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics||3 years||5|
|M.D.S. Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics||3 years||4|
|M.D.S. Periodontology||3 years||4|
|M.D.S. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery||3 years||4|
|M.D.S. Oral Medicine and Radiology||3 years||2|
|M.D.S. Paedodontics & Preventive Dentistry||3 years||2|
|M.D.S. Oral Pathology & Microbiology||3 years||3|
About the Courses
Bachelor of Dental Surgery
The BDS course in the college has a 100-seat intake capacity for all students. You have to do one year of rotatory internship after completion of the degree. It takes 5 years along with the internship for the degree to be over.
Master of Dental Surgery
The MDS course has several programs under its belt with different seat intake capacities depending on the departments. You have to be done with your BDS degree to be eligible for admission in this course.
Following are the departments and course overviews that can be applied to both the BDS and MDS program.
|Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge||This department will look after clinical procedures and its training in complete dentures, splints, oral implantology, occlusal rehabilitation and fixed partial dentures among others.|
|Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics||This course entails a careful and in-depth study of the science of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics through rigorous training and knowledge of equipment for the patient care process. There are a lot of services provided by the institute like root canal treatment, aesthetic rehabilitation, smile designing and bleaching to name a few.|
|Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics||The students in this department get to work with top scholars as teachers on removable orthodontic appliance treatment, cleft lip and palate treatment and lingual orthodontics and aligners etc.|
|Periodontology||Periodontology is a department that looks at training in several clinical procedures like scaling and root planing, periodontal flap surgery, smile designing, implant site development etc.|
|Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery||This department deals with the injuries and fractures of not only dental structures but the whole face. It treats pathologies of the jaw, extractions and orthognathic surgery etc.|
|Oral Medicine and Radiology||A unique blend of dentistry and medicine, this department deals with oral healthcare such as oral cavity, TMJ disorders, and orofacial and neurology pain among others.|
|Paedodontics & Preventive Dentistry||Enrolled on this department, you get to learn about predoctoral and postdoctoral training in oral healthcare for infants to adolescents.|
|Oral Pathology & Microbiology||This department was established in 1995 and provides a platform for all scholarly activities and looks after patient care facilities with utmost concern by dealing with oral health.|
|Public Health Dentistry||This department looks after the key elements of raising awareness about oral health care problems and dental issues in the community while educating professionals to deal with them.|
SR Dental College Fee Structure
Following is a table that briefs on the Sri Ramachandra Dental College Porur fee structure
|Name of the Course||Total Fees (INR)|
|BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)||7,50,000|
|M.D.S. Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge||11,50,000|
|M.D.S. Conservative Dentistry||11,50,000|
|M.D.S. Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics||11,50,000|
|M.D.S. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery||11,50,000|
|M.D.S. Oral Medicine and Radiology||6,50,000|
|M.D.S. Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry||11,50,000|
|M.D.S. Oral Pathology & Microbiology||5,00,000|
- In Sri Ramachandra Dental College’s fee structure, the admission fee is incurred only once during the time of admission.
- The fee structure is subject to change.
Funding for a quality education costs a lot and that is a very big problem among students, especially in a country like India. On top of that, if you are thinking of getting enrolled in a private dentistry college, the expenses can mount up to a much larger sum than you originally anticipated. But instead of being disheartened, get yourself acquainted with the various scholarship offers that the government is providing the economically backward classes and minorities with and make the most out of it. Apart from that, you also have the option of taking an educational loan that you can repay later. The options are endless so don’t give up.
- The Chancellor Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship
This is one of the scholarship opportunities that is provided by the institution with 20 grants available for students from the BDS course itself.
- The Founder-Chancellor Cash Award
This is given to all the top scores of the undergraduate programs in the university.
- Chancellor’s Postgraduate Dissertation/ Project Subsidy Schemes
These are schemes that provide postgraduate students with a grant of 25000 for projects or dissertations.
- Publication Support Grants
It is award money given to all UG, PG, or PhD students who have gotten their works published in indexed journals which have Impact Factor for publication.
- The Founder-Chancellor Merit-Cum-Means
This scholarship is for all those students who are from economically backward sections and are aided by the Sri Ramachandra Educational and Health Trust.
Placements & Career Scope
After getting a hard-earned degree from the college of your choice, it is understandable to be worried about job prospects but if you have chosen to do a BDS degree, there are a lot of options that open up for you easily. Let us look at the top choices for BDS students soon after graduation.
After completion of your studies in BDS, you have to go through a compulsory rotatory internship for one year that will be initiated by the institute itself. This is also an eligibility requirement to get into MDS.
- Higher Education
If you feel like the journey of your student life isn’t over yet, you can easily go for higher degrees, and in this case an MDS. Getting an MDS enriches your knowledge of a particular stream of Dentistry and also accentuates your options in the job market later.
- Creating Personal Avenues
There are a lot of opportunities available for you today that there weren’t before. Like you could be a dental vlogger or blogger and earn money that way. You can also open your clinic and start your practice.
You can also get recruited by some of the major companies that are looking for graduate professionals like yourself on the market.
Rankings and Awards
The rankings and awards of an educational institution determine whether or not the institute has been successful in providing quality education and facilities to its students or not. To this end, Sri Ramachandra Dental College Porur has a set of hard-earned prestige.
- The institute held the 7th rank in the Dental category among all the colleges in India in 2017.
- The dental institute is accredited by NAAC and is also recognized by the Dental Council of India.
- In the year 2019, the department of Periodontology prepared two of its finest teams to compete in the National Level PG Contest-Pieze Awe Challenge conducted by Acteon India Pvt Ltd and won the competition.
- In the year 2019, Professor C Ravindran of the Oral and Maxillofacial department won the Best Dental Professor in IAE Awards.
- Dr Lakshmanan, from Prosthodontics, won the gold medal for best research publication.
On-Campus Facilities Offered
Now, let us look at Sri Ramachandra Dental College Porur reviews.
The central library was built by the founder in hopes of seeing future professionals get all resources at a place full of knowledgeable potential. The library contains a huge amount of books particular to the field of dentistry that the students will profit from.
They have archives with dated journals which are storehouses of information for the students. The librarian also provides virtual services to all the students on their website. This has been a great boon to students over the years and continues its mission with the same zeal. The library has a lot of journals as well for student help.
The infrastructure of the college is very student friendly with a lot of facilities available for students with different needs and necessities. The institute has parking available for physically handicapped students on their campuses apart from PCS facilities. They have an exceptional canteen as well that provides nutritious and delicious food to all.
They also have a football field for all the students interested in playing apart from the tennis courts, volleyball courts, basketball, and cricket pitch. They also have a bank within their campus for the ease of the students. They have a student learning centre as well.
The hostel facilities of this institute are immaculate with the availability of its services to both boys and girls, all of whom are students of the institution. They have well-manicured lawns and playgrounds apart from separate gyms and cafes for entertainment purposes. There are a total number of 3608 rooms for both genders combined.
With a very well-organized transport facility system, the institute provides a very good service for the students and patients through various vehicles like buses, cars, ambulances, telemedicine units, and mortuary vans to name a few. It is understandable how tough it can get for students to avail proper transport facilities away from home but this institute guarantees safe travels for all with their amazing service.
The laboratory facility offered by Sri Ramachandra Dental College Porur is of extremely top-notch quality with several labs available at the disposal of the students to learn and train well in clinical procedures. They have state-of-the-art level equipment that helps the student navigate easily through the procedure and with precision. The experts guiding the students to work with various modern equipment is one of the best learning opportunities that the college has to offer to its students.
No matter how hard you research about a college or how hard you think about what degree to pursue, it also seems less and the hectic pressure along with it adds to it. In such a condition it is best to leave it in the hands of professionals who will do the work for you to manage your anxieties. Such is the service that we provide here with various in-depth information about Best Dental Colleges in India. So do follow our blog further to learn more and make us a part of your journey by contacting us for more information without any further delay!
College Contact Details
Address: 1, Mount Poonamallee Rd, Sri Ramachandra Nagar, Iyyappanthangal, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600116.
- Email: email@example.com.
- Phone: 044 4592 8600.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is SR Dental College a private or govt institute?
SR Dental College is one of the best private dental colleges in India and is ranked in the top 7.
2. What is the seating capacity for BDS in SR Dental College?
There are 100 seats for the Bachelor of Dental Surgery program at Sri Ramachandra Dental College.
3. Does SR Dental College have scholarships?
Yes, there are many scholarships and grants available in the college. Check out the official website for an information brochure.
4. Is the faculty of dental sciences at SR Dental College good?
Yes, the dental faculty was ranked 7 in Dental in 2017.
5. Does SR Dental College have hostel facilities?
Yes, the college has hostels for both boys and girls.
6. Where is SR Dental College located?
SR Dental College is located in Tamil Nadu.
7. When was SR Dental College established?
The SR Dental College was established in 1995.
8. Does SR Dental College have transportation facilities?
Yes, the SR Dental College has a good transportation facility starting from cars and buses to ambulances.
You can also follow the link below to check out my detailed post on another dental college:
Show Your Love & Support:
You can assist your budding dental aspirants in their education and future careers by simply putting up a review about the college. If you are a student or an alumnus of Sri Ramachandra Dental College Porur, you can share your views on the education at college and campus life out there.