Hi everyone. With limited information and resource on various colleges available on the internet, selecting an excellent dental college for your degree course can take time and effort. Here, at our higher education institutions blog, we have gathered all the necessary information you require to make the right decision. Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar is a reputed institution that equips its students with the right knowledge to ensure a flourishing career in dentistry.
In this blog, you will find all the necessary information you need to know about the BDS and MDS courses, the admission process, campus life, facilities and other resources offered by the college.
Table of Contents
- Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar Overview
- Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar Admission
- Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar Courses Offered
- Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar Fees Structure
- Placements and Scope
- Rankings and Recognitions
- On-Campus Facilities
- Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar Overview
Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar offers Bachelor’s and Master’s degree courses in Dental Surgery. Rajah Muthiah Dental College was established in December 1980 with 40 students admitted to the 4-year B.D.S. (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) Programme. The current intake capacity is 80 students for the BDS programme and 20 students for the MDS programme.
All undergraduate students at Rajah Muthiah Dental College must undergo a five-year programme to obtain a B.D.S. degree. After successful completion of the BDS course, BDS degree holders can register their names in the Dentists’ Register and practice dentistry within and outside India. This college is the top choice for students among top dental colleges in India.
The college’s bachelor course spans 4 years with an additional year of rotatory internship. At the postgraduate level, they offer 8 different specializations, as specified in later sections.
|Rajah Muthiah Dental College & Hospital
|Annamalai University, Annamalai nagar, Cuddalore district Tamil Nadu, India 608002.
|Dental Council of India
|Dental Council of India
|Available for boys and girls
Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar Admission
|Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
|Masters of Dental Surgery (MDS)
|MDS – Oral Pathology
|MDS – Conservative Dentistry
|MDS – Oral Medicine & Radiology
|MDS – Prosthodontics
|MDS – Periodontics
|MDS – Orthodontics
|MDS – Pedodontics
|MDS – Oral Surgery
- Admissions to the Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) program is based on the National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) conducted by the National Board of Examinations.
- The candidates should apply and appear for the counselling conducted by the Selection Committee, Directorate of Medical Education, Government of Tamil Nadu, Kilpauk, Chennai.
- Candidates need to appear for the all-India National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) for the current academic year.
- After the results are declared, candidates must select the Rajah Muthiah Dental College & Hospital Annamalai Nagar as one of the colleges to apply to.
- Candidates need to appear for the counselling process with all required documents.
- The documents are verified during counselling, and admission is offered to eligible candidates.
BDS Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must satisfy the eligibility norms laid down by DCI for BDS courses.
- Candidates must pass PUC/10+2 or the Equivalent Exam.
- Candidates need to clear the NEET exam with a minimum of 50% aggregate (general category) score in physics, chemistry, and biology. 40% aggregate for SC/ST/OBC candidates.
- The candidate’s age should be 17 years as of 31st December in the academic year.
- The candidate should be an Indian national.
Documents Required for BDS Admission
- S.S.C. (10th std.) mark sheet.
- H.S.C. (12th std.) mark sheet.
- Proof of All-India NEET score.
- Migration certificate by Board (if required).
- Transfer certificate (if required).
- Birth certificate.
- Caste certificates for SC, ST, and OBC candidates.
- Medical Fitness Certificate.
- Blood group report.
- 4 passports and 2 stamp-size photographs.
- Eligibility certificate (if required).
- Copies of passport & visa in case of foreign students.
- Photocopy of student’s PAN card.
- Gap certificate.
MDS Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have completed the BDS course from a DCI-recognised institution.
- Candidates must pass the NEET-MDS examination conducted by the National Board of Examinations for the academic year.
- Candidate should complete the 1-year compulsory rotational internship.
Documents Required For MDS Admission
- Proof of All-India NEET-MDS score.
- BDS mark sheet (for all 4 years).
- 1-year Compulsory rotatory internship completion certificate.
- BDS degree certificate.
- BDS passing certificate.
- Medical Fitness Certificate.
- Conduct and character certificate.
- Migration Certificate ( if required).
- Transfer Certificate (TC).
- Photo ID proof.
- Caste certificate for SC, ST, and OBC candidates.
- Income and Assets certificate for EWS candidates.
- Nationality Certificate: Passport/School Leaving Certificate.
- Gap certificate (if required).
Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar Courses Offered
Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar offers a 5-year BDS program that includes 4 years of training and 1 year of compulsory rotatory internship. During the one-year internship, students work in various departments under dentistry to learn and explore all fields. This course helps students to practice training in a clinical environment and apply their skills in a real work environment once their graduation is over.
The course combines general anatomy with dental anatomy so that students get a comprehensive education of the field. They learn how to diagnose, treat, and understand different oral healthcare issues with greater detail.
Some of the subjects studied are:
- Oral & Dental Anatomy & Histology.
- General Surgery and General Medicine.
- Dental Materials.
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics.
- Pediatrics and Preventive Dentistry.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Public Health Dentistry.
- General Pathology and Microbiology.
- Prosthodontics and Crown and Bridge.
Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar offers 3-year Masters of Dental Surgery (MDS) – PG course in 8 branches of specializations. Students can choose from eight options for their specializations in various fields. From these specializations, one can begin to start in dentistry as an expert. Students can choose from the following MDS specializations:
|Department of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry
|Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
|Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
|Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge
|Oral Pathology and Microbiology
|Public Health Dentistry
|Oral Medicine and Radiology
|Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar Fees Structure
Fees are a significant factor in choosing a college for BDS or MDS program. Apart from the tuition fees, you also need to consider the hostel fees, lab fees, living expenses, travel expenses, and expenses on other resources such as books and stationery.
The details of the fee to be paid by the candidate are as follows:
These are the tuition fees for the academic year 2020-2021 for BDS and 2019-2020 for MDS. The fees might increase by 5% every year.
|Bachelor’s in Dental Science (BDS)
|Masters in Dental Science (MDS) all courses
|Bachelor’s in Dental Science (BDS)
|Masters in Dental Science (MDS) all courses
*Subject to the fees fixed by the fee fixation committee, Government of Tamil Nadu. (with an affidavit/understating obtained from the candidate signed by Parent / Guardian and notarized).
You can also apply for scholarships to finance your education. Scholarships may either be merit-based or need-based.
The students of Annamalai University can avail of Government Scholarships subject to eligibility. Scholarships offered by the university include:
- Scholarships applicable to candidates selected through the selection committee, Directorate of Medical Education.
- Post Matric Scholarship.
- Higher Education Special Scholarship.
- The university has an Equal Opportunity Cell and an SC/ST Cell to assist the students in availing of the Scholarships, besides carrying out various other activities for the benefit of the students. Students may approach these Cells for further details and assistance with Scholarship-related matters.
Note: Income certificates obtained after April 2020 should be produced for all scholarships.
Placements and Scope
After obtaining a BDS degree, many students pursue a master’s degree in Dental Surgery in a particular specialization, followed by residency practice before beginning clinical practice. You can also opt for a master’s in public health or business administration.
But if you think you don’t want to study further, you still have various interesting career options after graduating with a BDS degree. Here are a few roles you can take on:
- Private clinical practitioner.
- Government clinical practitioner.
- Dental cosmetologist.
- Dental blogger.
- Forensic dentist.
- Dental insurance consultant.
After completing your BDS and MDS degrees, you can apply for central or state government jobs that recruit dentists for government hospitals across India. Some common dentist positions at government institutions include:
- Army dental corps.
- Dental officer in railways.
- Contractual dental officer in the navy or airforce.
- Dental surgeons employed by state governments.
You can also consider major hospitals like Apollo and Wockhardt and large national chains like Manipal Hospitals, HCG, and Fortis.
You can even choose to become a dentist overseas. Apply for an MDS degree abroad in a country of your choice. Or start your dental practice in a foreign country. Different countries have different eligibility criteria. You need to understand the eligibility criteria of a particular country before applying.
Rankings and Recognitions
The college is affiliated with Annamalai University, which is accredited by NAAC with an A+ grade. Many notable persons are members of the university. For instance, the Minister of Higher Education of the Government of Tamil Nadu, Dr. K Ponmudy, is the Pro-chancellor of Annamalai University. Sri R.N Ravi, the Governor of Tamil Nadu, is the chancellor.
Annamalai University is a residential University, and admission to the hostel is compulsory irrespective of residential/native status. Separate Hostels are available for Boys and Girls. The hostels are equipped with facilities such as safe drinking water, 24×7 power supply, Wi-Fi, recreation facilities, and adequate security.
The Annamalai University sports complex is spread over several acres and houses facilities for sports and games. A few worth mentioning are a tennis court complex, basketball complex, volleyball complex, standard athletic track, cricket field & nets, football field, hockey field, and a wooden floored indoor stadium.
The University Library, named after the eminent scholar, statesman and former Vice-Chancellor, Dr. Sir C.P. Ramaswami Iyer, serves as a knowledge hub for the students and the staff. Quite a good number of journals can be accessed through the Infonet facility. Science Direct is subscribed through which 340 journals can be accessed.
- Address: Annamalai University, Annamalai nagar, Cuddalore district, Tamilnadu, India 608002.
The numerous options available to you can make you stressed and anxious about choosing the most suitable dental college for your degree. Despite hours of research and reading all the online reviews, it may still become difficult to make an appropriate career choice. At such times, experts can guide your decision-making. We are here to listen to your concerns and figure out the perfect college for you. You can read our blogs and articles for more information on colleges in India, or you can contact us directly to expedite your admission process.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many MDS specializations are at the Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar?
You can choose to specialize from any of the total eight specializations the Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar offers for the MDS course.
2. How long is the internship for BDS students?
The BDS students must complete a mandatory 1-year internship to complete their degree course successfully.
3. What is the annual intake of BDS students?
The college intakes 80 students annually in BDS.
4. Does the college have a hostel facility?
Yes, the college provides a hostel and mess facility within the university campus with a separate building for boys and girls.
5. Is the NEET admit card mandatory to be submitted during the admission process?
Yes, the NEET admit card is a mandatory document to be submitted during the admission process.
6. What is the stipend offered to BDS or MDS students?
As the college is private and therefore, it does not offer any stipend to BDS or MDS students.
7. What are my career options after graduating from the Rajah Muthiah Dental College Annamalai Nagar?
After acquiring your BDS degree, you can pursue your MDS at the institute in any one of the 8 specializations. After completing your MDS degree, you can seek employment as a lecturer at the institute, apply for dentist jobs with government recruiters or private recruiters, or begin private clinical practice.
Also, Read: JKK Natrajah Dental College Komarapalayam.
Note to readers:
If you want to add any valuable information that can help future dental students, please mention them in the comments. Thank you for reading our blog.