St Ignatius Institute of Health Science Honavar is one of the best nursing colleges in Karnataka. The Students who are looking for a good B.Sc nursing college in Bangalore should go through this post. You’ll get to learn the key aspects of the college and the perks that this college can offer you in terms of career prospects. This institution is one of the top-ranked nursing colleges in Karnataka. The college also has a separate hospital that tends to maximize the exposure on campus. Read further to know more about its admission process, fee details, placements, courses, facilities offered etc.
Table of Contents
- St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar Overview
- Eligibility Criteria
- Documents Required
- Admission Procedure 2022-23
- St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar Fee Structure
- Life at St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar
- Departments and Research
St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar Overview
St. Ignatius Convent was founded just some years before the Diocese of Karwar came into existence. At that time, The Bishop of Belgaum Diocese, Rev Ignatius Lobo formed a hospital, which later became a part of the Uttara Kannada District. On November 15th, 1978 the hospital was inaugurated by then Health Minister of Karnataka, Mr Mallapa. The hospital was well equipped with six general wards, six special rooms, two operation theatres, clinical labs, Operation Theatre, and so on. Then, in the year 2003, St. Ignatius Hospital completed its silver jubilee.
St. Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar was founded in the year 2003. The campus is located in Honavar, which is in the district of Uttara Kannada, in the state of Karnataka. The nursing college is looked after by the DharmaJyoti Charitable Society, Vamanjoor, Mangalore. It has got its affiliation with the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore. It is also recognized by the Karnataka Government, Indian Nursing Council, and Karnataka State Nursing Council.
The Chairperson is Sr. Juliet Lobo SRA, the Chairperson is Sr. Maria Goretti SRA, the Chief Secretary is Sr. Leena SRA and the Chief Medical Officer is Sr. Dr Rita D’Souza SRA. There is a team of highly qualified, experienced, and trained faculties who mentor the students and help in guiding them in their nursing careers.
Some of the faculty members are:
- Sr. A. Sagaya Arockia Mary – Principal
- Sr. Susai Mari – Vice Principal.
- Sr. Thankamma M. S – Professor.
- Dr. Flavia Castelino – Assistant Professor.
- Sr. Juby Mol C. John – Associate Professor.
- Mrs Anu Susan Paul – Associate Professor.
- Mrs Verginia D Souza – Associate Professor.
- Mrs Shruti Y – Associate Professor.
- Mr. Vinayakumara K. B – Associate Professor.
- Mr Vincent Patil – Associate Professor and many more.
Nursing as a profession demands a lot of patience, dedication, and training. Nursing education helps in promoting scientific thinking about the socio-psychological aspects of a personality. It requires persons with a lot of dedication and purpose. Only girls are admitted to the course. St. Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar is offering courses for various levels such as B.Sc. Nursing, Post Basic B.Sc. Nursing and Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM).
B.Sc. Nursing at St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar
Bachelor of Science in Nursing or B.Sc. Nursing is a course that builds on the foundation of becoming a nurse. It is for a duration of four years.
The course curriculum for B.Sc Nursing has been designed in such a way so that the students gain more knowledge in a wide variety of subjects. Some of the subjects are:
|Subjects in the first year.||Subjects in the second year.|
|Nutrition and Dietetics.||Techniques used in Operation Theatre.|
|Advanced Medical Procedures.|
Post Basic B.Sc. Nursing at St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar
The course is also called B.Sc. Nursing (Post Basic) or PB B.Sc Nursing. It will be pursued for a time duration of two years.
The course structure of Post Basic B.Sc. Nursing is as follows:
|Subjects in the First Year.||Subjects in the Second Year.|
|Foundation of Nursing.||Sociology.|
|Nutrition and Dietetics.||Community Health Nursing.|
|Biochemistry and Biophysics.||Psychiatric Nursing.|
|Psychology.||Introduction to Nursing Education.|
|Microbiology.||Basics of Nursing Administration.|
|Child Health Nursing.||Nursing Research and Statistics.|
|Medical and Surgical Nursing.|
Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery at St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar
A diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery or GNM is a three-year full-time course that can be pursued after the PUC or 12th standard with Science subjects. The main purpose of taking up the course is to gain expert knowledge in the field of clinical treatments and patient care.
The course curriculum of the Diploma in General nursing and Midwifery includes the following subjects:
|Subjects in the First Year.||Subjects in the Second Year.|
|Anatomy and Physiology.||Medical-Surgical Nursing-I.|
|Nursing Fundamentals.||Mental Health Nursing.|
|Environmental Hygiene.||Child Health Nursing.|
|Health education and Communication Skills.|
|Community Health Nursing-Theory and Practical.|
Candidates who are applying for B.Sc Nursing must fulfil the following requirements:
- Must have passed PUC Science/12th Standard Science with a minimum aggregate of forty-five per cent in subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, and Biology along with the English language.
- Must have attained seventeen years of age as of 31st December on the year of taking admission.
- Must have a Medical Fitness Certificate from an authorized Medical Officer.
Candidates who are looking for admission to Post Basic B.Sc. Nursing is required to fulfil the following criteria:
- Must have completed a Diploma in Nursing and Midwifery (GNM).
- Must be a registered nurse under any state Nursing Council.
- Should have at least a minimum of two years of experience in a hospital or any community health nursing.
- Must have passed any pre-university examination in any stream such as Arts, Science, or Commerce, in which the examination has been conducted by the Department of Pre-University, by the Karnataka State or its equivalent examination recognized by the RGUHS.
- Must possess a good knowledge of English.
- Must be physically fit.
- Must have a good academic and personal record.
- The candidate must not be more than forty years of age as of 31st December on the year of admissions.
The following eligibility criteria must be satisfied:
- The candidate must have a Degree from Pre-University PUC or PDC or 12th Standard Science stream with a minimum of at least forty per cent marks.
- English must be one of the subjects.
- Must have a good command of English.
- The minimum age should be at least seventeen years and the maximum age must be thirty-five years. For ANM and LHV, there are no age limits.
- He/she must be medically fit.
The documents required for admission to B.Sc. Nursing are:
- 10th and 12th Standard Mark sheets.
- 10th and 12th Standard Passing Certificate.
- Transfer Certificate/School Leaving Certificate.
- Certificate of Migration.
- Physical Fitness Certificate.
- Recent passport size and stamp size photographs.
- Aadhar Card or any other Government ID.
Documents that are required to get admission to Post Basic B.Sc Nursing are:
- PUC/10+2 Mark sheets and Passing Certificate.
- GNM Completion Certificate.
- GNM Year-wise Mark sheets.
- Certificate of Registration from any State Medical Council.
- Medical Fitness Certificate.
- Certificate of Migration.
- College Leaving/Transfer Certificate.
- Aadhar Card or any other Government identification ID.
- Experience Certificate.
The documents required for GNM are:
- PUC/PDC/12TH Standard Mark sheets.
- School Leaving Certificate.
- Certificate of Transfer.
- Aadhar Card or any other Government Identification Proof.
- Recent Photographs.
Admission Procedure 2022-23
The application forms for the various courses are available on the website of college. The steps to be followed for the admission procedure are:
- Go to the college website and download the application form.
- Once it is downloaded, take the printout and fill in the necessary details neatly and carefully by affixing the photograph.
- After filling out the form, you need to enclose the photocopies of the following documents:
- Class 10th and 12th Mark sheets or any high qualification.
- Transfer Certificate of 12th
- Migration Certificate of interstate candidates.
- Medical Fitness Certificate by a registered Medical Practitioner.
- Character Certificate from the last institution.
- Birth Certificate for candidates of other states.
- Aadhar Card.
- Income and Caste Certificate.
- Copy of Bank Passbook.
- Completed application forms along with photocopies must be addressed to:
Address: The Admission Officer, St. Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences, Prabhatnagar, Honavar, Uttara Kannada District, Karnataka-581334.
St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar Fee Structure
To know about the fee structure of the courses offered at St. Ignatius of Health Sciences Honavar you can call me or write to me. I will get back to you ASAP.
St. Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar has got a placement cell that ensures that the students are given training, guidance, mentoring, and made industry-ready. It organizes workshops, conferences, and guest lecturers so that they get hands-on experiences from experienced people in the field.
Life at St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar
St Ignatius Group of Institutions has got its campus on around eight acres of land. It provides the most modernized infrastructural facilities available when they are away from their homes. It provides a safe and secure environment where they can study and learn during the course duration.
The facilities available are:
Classrooms at St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar
The classrooms are well furnished and can accommodate seventy-five students. There are also CCTVs for the safety of the students.
Laboratories at St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar
Laboratories at St. Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar modernized with the latest equipment. They also have dummies, articles, and accessories, which will help in demonstrating the procedures of nursing. Speciality Labs on campus are:
- Maternal and Child Health Nursing Lab.
- Community Health Nursing Lab.
- Anatomy and Microbiology Lab.
- Nutrition Lab.
Computer Lab at St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar
The computer lab helps the students to learn better by doing research on the internet. It also helps them in giving access to learning journals and other resources available online.
The library is a source of knowledge for both the faculty and the students. It is vast, spacious, and also well maintained by the library staff. It has a collection of more than two thousand books and seventeen journals which are both national and international. There are e-journals too.
Conference Hall and Multipurpose Hall
The conference hall and multipurpose hall are used for conducting seminars, workshops, conferences as well as inter-college level cultural functions.
St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar provides hostel facilities to all the students. There are separate hostels for boys and girls. It is having security round the clock, which makes the campus a safe place for hostilities.
The college has got fifty-seater buses to transport faculties and students from the college to hostels and clinical facilities.
St. Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavarhas St. Ignatius Hospital and Home for Psychiatric Care and Rehabilitation. Community health nursing training is given to the students by the Balkur Primary Health Centre, Honavar.
Departments and Research
Various Departments at St Ignatius Institute of Health Sciences Honavar are:
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
The department provides comprehensive family welfare, management of fertility, prenatal diagnosis, treatment of cancer and endoscopy.
Department of Paediatric Nursing
Department of Paediatric Nursing looks after taking care of newborns, school children as well as adolescents.
Department of Mental Health Nursing
Mental Health Nursing Department helps in promoting mental health and well-being. It educates the community regarding the awareness of mental health issues and cares regarding the same.
Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing
The Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing helps to provide care to patients who have undergone surgeries or medical procedures at home, in hospitals, and in nursing homes. They might need pre and post-operation care.
Department of Community Health Nursing
It looks after educating and training the students regarding nursing care which is centred on family and the community. It also provides knowledge about community healthcare systems and how community health nurses play a vital role in the healthcare system.
Department of Fundamental Nursing
The Fundamentals of Nursing Department helps in playing a pivotal role in the link between the various departments and also provides the results of the course. It helps the students gain knowledge, and skills and also develop their attitude, which is required during the clinical experiences.
I have taken lots of effort and time to gather information about the St Ignatius Institute of Medical Sciences Honavar. I have visited the college and also talked to students about the college. Few of my acquaintances are pursuing courses over there, they have shared that it is among the best colleges for nursing. To know about the college, please visit http://www.ksnc.karnataka.gov.in/.
If you have more queries or questions, please write to me in the comment box below, I will get back as soon as possible. If you are an alumnus or pass out, write a review about the college in the comment box. It will help others get more information regarding the college.
ONE SMALL REQUEST:
In case you are a student or alumni of St Ignatius Institute of Medical Sciences Honavar, then please drop a review or comment about the college. This will help other students in knowing the college better and choosing a career for them.