We know that engineering is one of the most sought-after courses in India, a study provided by many educational institutions. Lakhs of engineering graduates pass out annually from various institutes in the country. Aspiring students like you find it daunting to select among the engineering colleges that match your academic goals.
In today’s article, let us examine Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur, in Tamil Nadu. Our research at Career Mudhra will enable you to learn about the admission process, courses offered, facilities available on the campus, exciting placements, scholarships, and so on.
Want to learn more about this college in Tamil Nadu? Well, read this comprehensive guide till the end to gain some knowledgeable insights about one of India’s oldest technical institutions.
Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur Overview
Established in 1984, Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur, was conferred Deemed-to-be-University status in 2001. The college offers undergraduate, postgraduate as well as doctoral programmes in the field of engineering and technology. Being a comprehensive institution, the teaching programs on the campus are supported by collaborative research involvements and engagements, consultancy assignments, and training activities.
Recognized as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization by the Government of India, the institution is a Category I Institution based on the UGC’s categorization of Universities for Graded Autonomy Regulations, 2018.
|Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy
|Tirumalaisamudram, Thanjavur – 613401, Tamil Nadu.
|Deemed to be University
To be a top-tier institution engaging in significant research and development, providing quality education to the students and other learners.
To deliver value-based higher education and produce good academics and citizens who contribute to an informed, compassionate society.
Why Choose Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur?
The programs offered by the institution address significant issues on a local, regional, national, and international level. The curriculum also includes humanities, arts, social sciences, and traditional knowledge courses to allow students to broaden their knowledge beyond academic fields and geographical boundaries.
The curriculum equips students with inter-disciplinary, trans-disciplinary, activity-based, and experiential learning to handle new challenges. The curriculum design for holistic growth includes classes promoting environmental awareness, yoga, soft skills, and personality development.
- Integrated Learning
The college is an integrated institution of higher learning that offers its students top-notch instruction, training, research, and consulting.
The programs also aim to generate graduates who are essential components of a workforce that is globally competitive and take into account the changing needs of the industry.
- Choice-Based Credit System
The institution has implemented a Choice-Based Credit System and an Accelerated Course Registration System, enabling students to complete credit requirements at their own pace within the stipulated study period.
The curriculum entails fundamental core courses, a selection of department electives that reflect current trends and give students a choice to specialize, and open electives for a broader knowledge base.
- Presence of Professional Societies and Clubs
The learning community as a whole is represented by the Student Council on campus. As members of various Professional Societies and Student Club chapters, students select, develop, and hold workshops and competitions for members.
Some student chapters active on campus are – IEEE, Indian Concrete Institute, Indian Geotechnical Society, and Indian Green Building Council, amongst other professional societies.
- Training and Placements
The training program’s distinctiveness arises from the program’s rigorous planning and structured, progressive syllabus, which supports the students’ whole personality development.
Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur Admission
Admission Process for Bachelor of Technology / 5-Year Integrated Master of Technology Programme
- B.Tech Admission or 5-year Integrated M.Tech Admission will be conducted under two streams.
- All the applicants would be eligible for both streams and must not submit two separate application forms.
- Stream 1 Admission:
- Candidates applying under stream 1 will be admitted to 70% of the seats based on the JEE (1st Main) 2020 percentile score and aggregate +2 marks.
- The weightage for JEE (1st Main) scores and +2 marks will be 25% & 75%, respectively.
- The JEE 1st Main %ile score and 12th standard aggregate would be considered as per the weightage. The candidates’ rank would be based on the resultant combined score.
- The student’s combined score will determine the institute’s rank, and admission will be based on rank secured.
- Stream 2 Admission:
- Candidates under this stream would be admitted based on the 12th-grade marks or its equivalent score (for 30% of the total seats).
- The 12th standard marks would be considered to bring all applicants from various boards and authorities under the same comparison scale. A list in the order of merit is created.
- Students can attend counseling for Stream 2 even if admitted under Stream 1 and can change branches if they wish to.
Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor of Technology
- Students have to pass the +2 (or) its equivalent examination with compulsory subjects of Mathematics and Physics with either subject of Biology or Chemistry or Bio-Technology or Computer Science, and should be recognized by any State or Central Board / Central Board as equivalent to 10+2, with 60% marks achieved in Mathematics, Physics along with Chemistry OR Bio-Technology OR Computer Science OR Biology in a single attempt.
- Candidates with diplomas in technology or engineering are eligible for direct admission to the program’s second year.
- The applicant should not have completed nineteen years of age as of 1.7.2020. (21 years for Lateral Entry).
- NRI students can also apply.
Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor of Technology – Minor Specialization
- B.Tech students admitted during the Academic Year and the current third semester with a minimum CGPA of 7 with no standing arrears are eligible to register for minor specialization courses.
- Each student should complete one three-credit course related to the minor specialization (one course per semester) during the III, IV, V, and VI semesters.
- Students who have completed the additional 18 Credits shall be awarded a B.Tech degree with a Minor Specialisation mentioned in the certificate. The CGPA of the regular B. Tech will not include the scores obtained in the minor specialization courses.
- Students cannot change their Minor Specialization at any point and need to clear each Minor Specialization course on the first attempt, failing which they become ineligible for the course.
- If a student fails a course, whatever credits earned in addition to the minimum 180 credits shall be awarded as additional course completion or considered an open elective course(s) to be used in the regular degree.
- There should be no standing arrears in regular courses to be eligible for minor specialization.
- Students becoming ineligible at any point shall not lose the benefit of other degree recognitions like First Class, Distinction, Honours, etc., as long as they maintain the normal requirements.
Admission Process for Master of Technology
- Admissions would be based on the qualifying degree/board marks and applicable competitive exam scores GATE in the case of M.Tech.
- Students will receive a call letter to attend the counseling for admission, either by e-mail or letter.
- There can not be changes in the assigned counseling date.
Admission Process of Doctor of Philosophy
- Candidates for the Full-Time Doctor of Philosophy would be selected based on an entrance test and interview organized by the institute.
- The date of the entrance exam will be announced on the college website.
- Applicants qualifying in the GATE or other recognized competitive examinations would be exempted from the entrance exam. Nevertheless, candidates have to clear the round of interviews.
- Part-time applicants shall be selected based on the presentation of their research proposal before the college’s selection committee.
- Once the payment of the fees is completed, Full-Time / Part-Time candidates can register for the Ph.D. program.
Eligibility Criteria for Doctor of Philosophy:
- Candidates should hold at least 55% or equivalent marks or grades in the qualifying degree.
- Applicants must hold a post-graduate degree or an equivalent grade from an accredited university or institution.
Documents Required For Admission
- Proof of identity.
- Proof of residence.
- Statement of income of the family, if applying under any special quota.
- Certificate of caste.
- College transfer certificate, if applicable.
- Matriculation mark sheet.
- 10th standard Passing certificate.
- Degree mark sheets (all semesters for admission of postgraduate degrees).
- Degree passing certificate from the university.
- Recent passport-sized photographs.
- Scoresheet of the entrance exam.
Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur Courses
|Bachelor Of Technology
|Computer Science & Business Systems
|Computer Science & Engineering
|Computer Science Engineering (Specialization of Artificial Intelligence & Data Science)
|Computer Science & Engineering (Specialization in Cyber Security & Block Chain Technology)
|Computer Science & Engineering (IoT & Automation)
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering (Smart Grid and Electric Vehicles)
|Electronics & Communication Engineering
|Electronics & Communication Engineering (Cyber-Physical Systems)
|Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering
|Robotics & Artificial Intelligence
|Electronics Engineering (VLSI Design & Technology)
|Information and Communication Technology
|Mechanical Engineering (Digital Manufacturing)
Undergraduate Courses (Minor Specialization)
|Bachelor Of Technology
|Artificial Intelligence & Digital Technologies
|Economics & Public Policy
|Management & Innovation
|Programming & Applications Development
|Robotics & Automation
|Master Of Technology
|Artificial Intelligence & Data Science
|Artificial Intelligence & Robotics
|Big Data Biology
|Computer Science & Engineering
|IoT and Automation
|Power & Energy Systems
|Wireless Smart Communications
Postgraduate Course – Integrated
|Master Of Technology
|Integrated Medical Nanotechnology
Doctor of Philosophy
|Doctor of Philosophy
Bachelor Of Technology
Bachelor Of Technology is an eight-semester undergraduate degree awarded to a candidate. The four-year undergraduate degree program emphasizes the application of fundamentals of engineering, mathematics, and science to solve complex engineering solutions.
Students can identify, formulate, and review research literature and analyze engineering problems to reach substantiated conclusions using the first principles of mathematics and engineering sciences.
Master Of Technology
Master of Technology is a two-year postgraduate program spread across four semesters. The institute offers master’s degrees in various specializations such as Aerospace Engineering, Artificial Intelligence and Data Science, and Computer Science and Engineering, amongst others.
The institution offers a Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering / Technology. Internal candidates pursue doctoral work and assignments at the college. This degree involves extensive research with coursework and includes teaching responsibilities for undergraduate students. Some specializations include Aerospace Engineering, Artificial intelligence, Bioprocess Engineering, and High Voltage Engineering, among others.
External students pursue their doctoral work in a recognized university, laboratory, research center, etc, provided the institution approves them.
Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur Fee Structure
|Tuition Fee Per Semester
|Bachelor Of Technology
|INR 75,000 (5 % annual increase from II year)
|B.Tech. – Minor Specialisation
|Master Of Technology
|Master Of Technology (Integrated)
|INR 75,000(5 % annual increase from II year)
|Doctor of Philosophy
|Hostel / Room Type
|Annual Hostel Lodging Fee
|2 – in – 1
|3-in-1 / 4-in-1
|Single (Bath Attached)
|2-in-1 (Bath Attached)
|3-in-1 / 4-in-1 (Bath Attached)
The institution provides different fee structures for various courses and programs. The institutions provide detailed information regarding the fee structure, and students can contact us to know all the details about the engineering fees of Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur.
The institution offers scholarships to students, including Central Sector Scholarship Schemes and other Scholarship schemes. Applicants must fill online application and upload the necessary documents to the National Scholarship Portal. For Scholarship-related queries, students must contact the Registrar.
Placement and Scope
Understanding the complexity of the career planning process, the Training and Placement division organizes programs catering to the professional development needs of students. The placement department collaborates with the students during the career management process, from the task of self-assessment to identifying a career that meets individual goals.
During the academic year, the senior executives and alumni participate in scheduled informal discussions on career and industry trends. Students learn from the professional representatives who share practical advice and insights.
Some of the recruiters are:
Awards and Achievements
- Twelve college engineering programs have been internationally accredited for nine years by the Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET), UK, recognizing the institution’s academic excellence.
- According to the NIRF rating, the college was ranked 26th place, and the engineering department was ranked 34th place.
- The college was re-accredited by NAAC with a 3.76 (IV Cycle) score.
- The Institution of Engineering has accredited all eligible Bachelor of Technology programs.
- Wipro Technologies recognized The college as a Trusted Academic Partner for having the qualifying standards of excellence in Wipro’s Institutional Accreditation Framework.
- Tata Consultancy Services Limited has accredited the institution with an ‘A’ grade (Highest), putting the college in the elite company of premier institutes.
- The Washington Accord, an agreement that provides mobility for Indian engineering graduates worldwide, recognized the college as a developed institute that is better than a world-class undergraduate engineering facility.
- The college is a Category I Institution based on the UGC’s categorization of Universities for Graded Autonomy Regulations, 2018.
The college houses a modern senate hall for council meetings and a multi-purpose hall for group discussions and informal gatherings.
Further, as part of the green energy initiatives, the institution entails installed rooftop solar panels, rain-water harvesting provisions, an herbal garden, and a biogas plant utilizing organic waste from hostels to produce power for lighting.
Some of the other support facilities include an Admin Block, Hospital, Bank branch, ATMs, well-laid tar roads, DG backup power supply, RO water treatment plants, Bio-Gas plant for power generation, Canteen, and Campus Stores that contribute towards the wholesome life of the students.
The Central Library, Saraswathi Sadan, is spread across 4,340 sq meters with internet, an audio-visual room, a modern study area, and reprographic facilities. The institution has adopted automation and integrated Information and communication tools into the Central Library.
The campus is fully Wi-Fi enabled and equipped with e-resources to encourage collaborative and interactive learning, transforming every space on campus-from classrooms to dorm rooms into a virtual library.
The institution entails nine and six girls’ hostels, accommodating more than 4,000 boys and 2,400 girls.
The hostels offer a pleasant ambiance, dining, and recreational services required to make the students feel at home. The hostel provides a conducive environment for balanced development and intellectual stimulation. The hostel serves north and south Indian dishes.
The institution houses interdisciplinary research centers and state-of-the-art laboratories vital in successfully implementing research projects. Some centers include the Centre of Excellence on RF Systems & Engineering, TIFAC-CORE in Advanced Computing & Information Processing, Centre for Nonlinear Science & Engineering, etc.
A multipurpose fitness center and an indoor stadium have been set up to promote sports activities and a healthy fitness regime among students.
Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur Contact Details
- Address: Tirumalaisamudram, Thanjavur – 613401, Tamil Nadu.
- Distance from Nearest Bus Stop: SASTRA University Bus Stop (700 meters).
- Distance from Nearest Railway Station: Thanjavur Junction (8 km).
- Distance from Nearest Airport: Tiruchirappalli International Airport (64 km).
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is there an offline mode for admission to the undergraduate program?
No, the college completely offers an online mode of admission to display transparency in the procedure and reduce the carbon footprint.
2. How many specialization courses are in the Bachelor of Technology undergraduate program?
The institution offers over twenty specialization courses under the Bachelor of Technology program.
3. What method is followed for admission to the Bachelor of Technology program?
Admissions to the Bachelor of Technology programme will be done by the Office of Admissions of the college, either on a Stream 1 or Stream 2 basis.
4. Can a Bachelor of Technology program seat be reserved before admission under the merit category?
No, admission to the Bachelor of Technology program is based on merit after the rank list is published.
5. Does Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur, have a hostel facility?
Yes, both male and female students have access to the hostel’s amenities at the institution.
6. What is the selection process for the Full-Time Doctor of Philosophy program?
The selection is based on the marks achieved in the entrance test and interview conducted by the interviewer.
7. How can students develop their technical skills at Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur apart from academic studies?
The student associations organize several technical contests and house technical clubs such as the Robotics Club, Science Arattai, etc.
8. Does Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur, have an anti-ragging committee?
Yes, the college has an anti-ragging squad monitoring committee.
If you have more information about this institute, please feel free to share. Or if you have studied in any of the programs/courses mentioned above, do share your experiences and mention them below in the comments section. This is a knowledge-sharing platform. Knowledge shared is knowledge multiplied. If you need help solving your queries, please contact Career Mudhra!