Hey all, I hope you are doing well and welcome back to my new detailed article about MDS admission in India and abroad. I am writing this article to give all the MDS aspirants a detailed idea about MDS admission, counseling procedures, approximate fee structure, etc.
If you are new to my blog, then you can know more about me here. 😀
This is a long post, you can use the table of content given below to navigate to your preferred section. But, I would suggest you read the article completely to know everything about MDS admission.
Table of Contents
- NEET-MDS Important Dates 2021
- and Information
- NEET-MDS Admission Counseling Dates
- MDS Admission NEET Cut-Off 2021
- Total Seats for MDS Admission
- Eligibility for MDS Admission
- MDS Admission and Counseling Procedures
- MDS Admission Fees Details
- MDS Admission and Donations
- How to Select an MDS Dental College?
- Frequently Asked Questions About MDS Admission
- Why my service is unique? 😛
- Benefits I will provide you when you take MDS admission through me
- Wrapping Up
For taking MDS admission in India or abroad, you must qualify the NEET-MDS entrance exam without fail. Yes, even if you want to take MDS admission through management quota or NRI quota you must qualify the NEET-MDS exam which will be conducted between November to December of every year.
The results of the exam will be published within one month, around mid-January.
Now that you have qualified the exam, you have to attend the centralized counseling conducted by NEET and also the state examination authorities.
Some percentage of seats are filled by centralized counseling conducted by NEET, and few by state authorities. The counseling of deemed universities will be conducted by MCC.
You have to apply for counseling online and attend counseling.
Important: Without registering and attending the counseling you cannot even take management or NRI seats.
Beware of fake consultants who claim to provide you MDS admission without attending any counseling and it is not possible legally. It has been clearly told by the High Court, and you can check this link for reference.
During the first year of introducing NEET-MDS and centralized counseling, many students didn’t register for the counseling and took admission directly by paying to agents or colleges directly. But, one week later the court gave a clear decision that students cannot take admission without attending centralized counseling.
NEET-MDS Important Dates 2021
- Online submission of Application – 11th October 2019.
- Last date of submission of Application – 31st October 2019.
- Date of Examination – 20th December 2019.
- Declaration of Results – By 20th January 2021.
- Counseling dates – Not yet updated.
The examination fee for General and OBC students is Rs.3750 and for SC/ST/PH students are Rs.2750. All the information and updates can be found on www.nbe.edu.in.
You can also read or download the information brochure here.
NEET-MDS Admission Counseling Dates
These are the tentative dates for MDS counseling. Counseling for MDS admission will be conducted separately by state authorities too and the dates will be different for different states.
Before the counseling starts the state authorities may call the candidates for Document Verification. The complete details about document verification and the procedures are given in the next section.
- Online Registration – Starts by 2nd week of March 2020.
- Choice filling – Second week of March 2020.
- Choice locking – Second week of March 2020.
- First Counselling Results -Last week of March 2020.
- Seat confirmation – First week of April 2020.
- Online registration – Starts by 2nd week of April 2020.
- Choice filling – 2nd week of April 2020.
- Choice locking – 2nd week of April 2020.
- Second allotment results – 3rd week of April 2020.
- Seat confirmation – Last week of April 2020.
- MOP-UP Round registration – 1st week of May 2020.
- Choice filling, locking and the results will be on the same day as the procedure will be conducted offline in the counseling center.
MDS Admission NEET Cut-Off 2021
As I told you earlier, the candidates must qualify for the NEET-MDS entrance examination to take MDS admission in any dental college. The cut-off is calculated as a percentile and not a percentage.
The cut-off marks change each year depending on the number of students writing the exam and the marks scored by the topper.
- Cut-Off for General Category – 50 percentile.
- Cut-off for SC/ST/OBC – 40 percentile.
NEET-MDS Cut-off Marks in 2019
- General category – 250 marks.
- SC/ST/OBC – 215 marks.
At the last moment, the cut-off was reduced as the seats were not filled in many private dental colleges in India. But, I cannot assure you that in 2020 the cut-off will come down.
NEET-MDS Cut-Off Marks in 2020
- General Category – Not yet published.
- OBC/SC/ST – Not yet published.
Total Seats for MDS Admission
In India, there is a total of 6091 seats for MDS including all the departments in government and private dental colleges. The number of seats in each department is given below.
- Endodontics – 911.
- Orthodontics – 865.
- Surgery – 674.
- Prosthodontics – 906.
- Pedodontics – 640.
- Periodontics – 827.
- Oral Pathology – 531.
- Oral Medicine and Radiology – 512.
- Community – 225.
As I told you before, all these seats will be filled through centralized counseling.
Eligibility for MDS Admission
The eligibility criteria for joining MDS admission in India or abroad are given below.
- Must qualify for the NEET-MDS entrance exam.
- Must have completed a BDS degree from a dental college which is recognized by DCI.
- The candidate must have completed an internship before the 31st of March of the year of counseling.
MDS Admission and Counseling Procedures
This is the most important part of this post. I want you to know the complete counseling procedures for taking MDS admission.
After you have qualified the NEET-MDS entrance exam, the next step is to register for the counseling of different states and of MCC.
Think you want to opt for a dental college in Karnataka, then you must register on KEA or Karanataka Examination Authority website. If you want to opt for dental colleges in Uttar Pradesh, then you have to apply through UPDGME.
In short, the procedures are as listed below.
- NEET Qualification.
- Apply for centralized counseling of your preferred state.
- Document verification of candidates.
- Submit the demand draft. ( In some states it is not necessary)
- Round one counseling.
- Round two counseling.
- MOP-UP Round.
I will tell you about each step in-depth.
Applying for Counseling
First of all, I would suggest you keep in mind, in which state or college you want to take MDS admission. You can even choose multiple states, but I would advise you to stick with one college or course.
Let us take an example, you decided to take MDS admission in Bangalore dental college in Karnataka. The dental college seats are filled through KEA or Karnataka Examination authority counseling.
So, you must register for the counseling conducted by KEA. There will be an application fee of around Rs.2000. Then they will announce the date for document verification.
Document Verification for MDS Admission
As the name of the procedures, it’s for verifying your documents. You must physically be present in the document verification center with all your original documents.
In a few states like Uttar Pradesh, you must also submit a Demand Draft of Rs.1 lakh towards UPDGME which will be refunded to you after the counseling.
The general list of documents which must be provided is listed below:
- NEET Scorecard.
- NEET-MDS admit card.
- 10th marks card.
- 12th Marks card.
- An internship completion certificate from the head of the institute clearly says that you have completed your internship by 31st March 2021.
- BDS Marks sheet.
- BDS Degree certificate or provisional certificate.
- Community certificate (Optional).
- Disability certificate, if applicable.
- Birth certificate.
- Identity proof.
- Passport size photographs.
The list of documents differs from state to state.
Round One and Two Counseling
After the document verification, there will be two rounds of online counseling. When the dates of counseling are published, you must log in to the official website and give the choice of colleges.
After selecting the options you have to lock the choice and submit it. Before locking the choice please do re-check it. The second round of counseling will also be the same.
If you have got the choice of your college, you have to download the allotment letter and reach the college or counseling center with a demand draft of balance fees to be paid.
In case, if you have not got any seats in the first and second rounds of counseling you don’t have to worry. You have got one more chance. 😛
Who is eligible for the second round of online counseling?
All the candidates are not eligible for the second round of counseling. The candidates who have registered for the online counseling and have not been allotted any seats are eligible for the second round of counseling.
In this round, all the vacant seats after the second counseling will be transferred. But the MOP-UP round will not be online and the candidate must be present at the counseling center. You must be present in the center with all the original documents.
So after all these rounds of counseling, if any more seats are vacant it can be filled by the college management.
Important: Even if you want to take MDS admission to the leftover seats, you must register and attend the counseling procedures. If you have not registered and completed your document verification you cannot take the vacant seats.
MDS Admission Fees Details
Before the NEET-MDS and centralized counseling came into action, the fees for MDS in private colleges were fixed by the management. They were able to take huge donations which can surely rip your pockets.
In the current scenario, the fee structure for MDS admission in government and private dental is decided by the state examination authorities. The college has to submit the fee structure which they wish to implement, and the authority has to approve it.
Yes, it is true!
Here I will just give you an approximate fee structure and I will also mention which all states offer MDS seats at the lower fee structure.
Approximate MDS fee structure for each department is listed below and I have given the fee structure including all charges like a hostel, food, material charges, etc.
- Endodontics – 22 Lakhs.
- Orthodontics – 22 Lakhs.
- Surgery – 22 Lakhs.
- Prosthodontics – 18 Lakhs.
- Pedodontics – 15 lakhs.
- Periodontics – 13 Lakhs.
- Community – 9 Lakhs.
- Oral Medicine – 7 Lakhs.
- Oral Pathology – 7 Lakhs.
These are the fee structure I can provide you.
States with the highest fees for MDS management quota are:
- Tamil Nadu.
- Andhra Pradesh.
In these states, most of the colleges charge a hefty amount as material fees. You must definitely inquire about the extra fees the college charges.
You can also read:
MDS Admission and Donations
When I told you about the fee structure for MDS, the next thing which comes in your mind will be “Are there any huge donations charged by colleges?”
No, you don’t have to pay any donations or capitation fees for joining MDS.
It is true that you can take MDS admission without a donation.
The tuition fee will be fixed by the government authorities and as I told the college will charge extra for materials, hostel, food, and processing fees.
How to Select an MDS Dental College?
There are more than 300 dental colleges in India and I know its a bit difficult to choose colleges from the list. So, to make it easier I had divided the selection criteria into:
- Fee structure.
- Patient Exposure.
- Head of the Department.
- Charges for thesis.
Fees of the complete course
Most of the colleges will only inform you about the tuition fees for the course. You must also understand you have to pay for the hostel, food, material charges, etc.
I know colleges which charge around Rs.1.5 lakhs as material charge per year. You can go to colleges which charge around Rs.70,000 – Rs.80,000 per year. There are colleges that don’t collect any material charges. You can buy it yourself.
Most of the MDS aspirants know this and I don’t think I have to explain it in depth. You must join dental colleges where the student-patient ratio is good. It is very important to keep your hand skills to the best.
Head of the Department and the guide will be you, guru, for the coming three years. So choose them wisely!
In a day 60% of the time you will be with them and they have to be interested in teaching and motivating you. I had seen in many colleges they make the PG students do their household works. 😛
There are many who yell and demotivate you to the core. I would like you to inquire about the HOD of the college.
You have to do one thesis during the complete course period. The HOD will guide you in the same and there will be expenses for completing one thesis. I won’t say you must be too strict about this.
There are many colleges where the thesis charges are very high, but the teachings and patient exposure is worth investing in. 😀
It is not that important, but still, I just wanted you to keep it on the list. There is a reason that I mentioned this here.
One of my friends joined a college in Karnataka for MDS and the college was good. But the climatic condition and location were hectic. She was from Kerala and she wasn’t able to cope with the climate.
The drinking water was not good and she got jaundice from there. It’s not a problem with college, but the location.
Frequently Asked Questions About MDS Admission
After the NEET-MDS exams, I used to get many calls asking for many doubts about MDS admission. Before calling me I would suggest you read the FAQ for better knowledge.
Q: Can I get MDS admission without qualifying the NEET entrance exam?
A: No, you are not eligible to take MDS admission in India without qualifying NEET.
Q: Can I book the seat in advance?
A: Yes, you can book MDS seats in advance in selected colleges. But, it is mandatory to attend the centralized counseling procedures.
Q: Will you support me in the complete counseling procedures?
A: Yes, you will get my complete support until you have received the allotment letter from the college.
Q: Will the complete counseling procedures be online? Should I be present at the counseling center?
A: The procedures depend on different states. In some states, the candidates must be present for Document verification and MOP-UP round.
Q: How many options can I give in the choice filling?
A: You can give any number of choices you need. But, I will suggest you opt for colleges which can be available for you with your rank.
Q: Are all the colleges you deal with approved by the Dental Council of India?
A: I only deal with DCI approved dental colleges. For references, I can provide you the required documents.
Q: Can I cancel the seat later?
A: You can cancel the seat, but the fees you have paid won’t be refunded. If you inform me as early as possible, then I can try to get a partial refund.
Q: Apart from the tuition fees, what other charges will be there?
A: That completely depends on the college. In general, most of the colleges charge extra for the hostel, food, material fees, examination fees, etc. You don’t have to worry about it, I will surely inform you about it before itself.
Q: Should I pay you anything?
A: No, in 99% of cases you don’t have to pay me anything as the college will pay me. In very few cases, you have to pay me a service charge.
Why my service is unique? 😛
Like other educational consultants, I am not dealing with courses that are not in demand. So, I am very much confident about guiding you for MDS admission.
I have been dealing with hundreds of students every year around the globe and had placed them in the best dental colleges in India. I would like you to know why my dental admission service is unique and the best.
- Guidance Experience: I have 7 years of experience in guiding students in selecting the best dental colleges and courses in India for MDS admission.
- Counseling Guidance: I am very much updated about the centralized counseling procedures and I had been guiding students since NEET-MDS has been introduced. There are different counseling procedures for different states and I am an expert in it. I don’t deal with colleges in few states as we can’t predict the procedures.
- Lowest fee structure: Some colleges give a special discount on tuition fees for students referred by me. Yes, it is true and it is available in selected dental colleges.
- Trusted Colleges: I only deal with reputed and DCI approved dental colleges. I don’t dump students to the worst dental colleges. I will give you an exact idea of the situation of the college and the department you want to join.
- College Selection: Selecting a college for MDS admission is a bit confusing. I will take a short survey and I will help you choose the best college under your budget.
- College Tour: I also conduct a free campus tour in selected cities like Bangalore, Delhi-NCR, etc which makes students take the decision easier.
- Seat Booking: I can help you with booking an MDS seat in selected dental colleges.
- Easy & Secure Payments: I can help you with getting the best payment options. Most of the students come from a middle-class family and won’t be able to raise a huge amount suddenly. I can talk with college management and get an installment payment facility.
- Loan Support: If you are planning to get an educational loan, then I can help you in getting the supporting documents from the college and university. These documents will make the procedures loan application procedures easy.
- Best after support: Need any help after joining the college? You can contact me anytime after joining the college and I will try my best in helping you out.
Benefits I will provide you when you take MDS admission through me
I usually provide a few benefits which will be surely helpful for all the students. These benefits may change with time and any changes will be updated here.
- Scholarships: Few dental colleges in India provides scholarship facilities for deserving students. By providing the marks sheet I can claim scholarships for you in selected dental colleges.
- Edu Kits: We will also provide educational dental kits which will surely be useful for your academics and clinical.
- Exclusive offers: We are tied-up with few merchants who provide premium discounts for products, books, etc only for CareerMudhra members. We will update you with the latest offers via mail.
So its time to conclude this article!
I think I had provided you the complete information about MDS Admission. If you feel this post helped you, then please share it with your friends and people in need. If you have any questions, feel free to comment it below or contact me on +91-9916927248. I am available in WhatsApp too. 😛