When you think of medical education in Nepal, one of the biggest names you will surely come across is Tribhuvan University’s Institute of Medicine (IOM). Apart from being the country’s premier medical education institution, it is the oldest medical college in Nepal.
Whether it’s history, reputation, or education, the Institute of Medicine Nepal has emerged at the top of any list you can put in. So, in today’s blog, we will learn more about this institution, its course offerings, history, curriculum, and more. So let’s start.
Table of Contents
- Institute of Medicine Nepal Overview
- Institute of Medicine Nepal Admission
- Institute of Medicine Nepal Courses Offered
- Institute of Medicine Nepal Fee Structure
- Placements and Scope
- Ranking and Recognition
- On-Campus Facilities Offered
- College Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
Institute of Medicine Nepal Overview
In 1972, established under the supervision and affiliation of the Tribhuvan University, the Institute of Medicine Nepal is one of the oldest and predominantly well-respected medical institutions in the country. With its purpose to train, groom and establish medical professionals and medical services of global standards, the institution soon found it exceeding its initial goals.
Today, the institution has 7 constituent campuses, a central department, 15 different affiliated colleges, as well as 3 tertiary teaching hospitals encompassing the reputation and success of the Institute of Medicine, more popularly called IOM, has made.
|Name||Institute of Medicine|
|Address||Maharajgunj, Kathmandu, Nepal.|
|Affiliated To||Tribhuvan University – TU|
|Approved By||Nepal Medical Council|
|Hostel||For Boys and Girls|
The college has a vision to ensure an abundant supply of diverse health-related human resources across all categories, effectively meeting the evolving needs of our nation’s well-being.
The institute’s mission is to deliver comprehensive health education, ensuring individuals have access to the knowledge and skills necessary to promote well-being. Through their network of hospitals, they aim to provide exceptional healthcare services of the highest quality.
Why Study at the Institute of Medicine Nepal?
- Reputable Institution – The Institute of Medicine Nepal is regarded as an esteemed educational institution. It has a long-standing history of providing high-quality education in medicine and health sciences.
- Comprehensive Programs – The college offers a wide range of comprehensive programs in various health-related disciplines. Whether you’re interested in medicine, nursing, pharmacy, or other allied health professions, the institute provides diverse educational pathways to suit your interests and career goals.
- Experienced Faculty – The institute boasts a dedicated faculty that is qualified, proficient, and experienced in their specialties.
- Hands-on Training – The institute emphasizes practical training, clinical exposure, and theoretical knowledge. Through partnerships with renowned hospitals and healthcare facilities, students can get practical training with real-world cases, preparing them to enter the professional world confidently.
Institute of Medicine Nepal Admission
- Check Eligibility – Review the specific eligibility criteria for the course you are interested in. Ensure that you meet the requirements before proceeding.
- Application Form – Visit the college website and locate the application form for your desired course. Fill out the necessary details accurately and provide the required documents as specified.
- Selection Process – Once submitted, your application will go through the selection process.
- Admission Offer Letter – If you successfully qualify through the selection process, you will receive an admission offer letter from IOM.
Note – MBBS Admission for Indian Students can be done using their NEET scores for admission and may not sit for the respective entrance examination conducted by the Medical Education Commission of Nepal.
Here are the documents you require at the time of admission:
- Class 10th Marksheet.
- Class 12th Marksheet.
- Bachelors’ Degree Marksheet and Certificate (For PG applicants).
- Passport-size Photographs.
Institute of Medicine Nepal Courses Offered
Institute of Medicine (IOM) stands at Nepal’s forefront of medical education. It’s extensive affiliations and global standard in terms of the curriculum means it offers its students a wide and extensive list of courses. Whether medical, dental, paramedical or even doctorate, IOM provides a course that will likely interest you. So, let us learn more about these courses.
|Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)||5.5 years|
|Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)||5.5 years|
|Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine and Surgery (BAMS)||4 years|
|Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT)||4 years|
|Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Medical Imaging Technology (MIT)||4 years|
|Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharma)||4 years|
|Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Nursing||4 years|
|Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Medical Biochemistry||4 years|
|Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Medical Microbiology||4 years|
|Doctor of Medicine (MD)||3 years|
|Master of Surgery (MS)||3 years|
|Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)||3 years|
|Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT)||3 years|
|Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Medical Imaging Technology (MIT)||3 years|
|Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Medical Biochemistry||3 years|
|Master of Science (M.Sc.) Medical Microbiology||3 years|
|Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Nursing||3 years|
|Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharma)||3 years|
|Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) in Clinical Psychology||3 years|
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) – The MBBS program equips students with comprehensive medical knowledge and clinical skills to become doctors. It focuses on anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, and other medical subjects.
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) – The BDS course trains students in dental sciences, enabling them to diagnose and treat oral health issues. It covers subjects like dental anatomy, oral pathology, orthodontics, and dental surgery.
- Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine and Surgery (BAMS) – BAMS is an Ayurvedic medicine course that teaches traditional healing practices. Students learn about Ayurvedic principles, herbal medicine, yoga, and holistic healthcare.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) – This program focuses on laboratory diagnostics, teaching students to perform and analyze medical tests. It covers areas like clinical biochemistry, hematology, microbiology, and immunology.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Medical Imaging Technology (MIT) – The MIT course trains students to operate medical imaging tools, such as X-rays and ultrasounds. It covers radiology, imaging techniques, anatomy, and patient care.
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharma) – The B.Pharma program emphasizes pharmaceutical sciences, drug development, and dispensing practices. Students learn about pharmacology, pharmaceutics, medicinal chemistry, and pharmacy management.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Nursing – The B.Sc. The nursing program equips students with knowledge and skills in patient care, healthcare management, and nursing theories. Graduates can pursue diverse roles in hospitals, clinics, and community health settings.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Medical Biochemistry – The B.Sc. The Medical Biochemistry program focuses on studying biochemical processes in living organisms. Students gain knowledge in molecular biology, metabolic pathways, and laboratory techniques, preparing them for careers in research or further studies.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Medical Microbiology – The B.Sc. The Medical Microbiology program explores microorganisms and their impact on human health. Students learn about medical virology, bacteriology, immunology, and diagnostic techniques, opening doors to careers in clinical laboratories or research institutions.
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) – The MD program is a postgraduate degree that specializes in various medical disciplines. It involves in-depth study and research, leading to expertise in internal medicine, pediatrics, surgery, or other specialties. The college offers MD in the following specialties:
- General Practice and Emergency Medicine.
- Internal Medicine.
- Pathology/ Clinical Pathology.
- Radiation Oncology.
- Radiodiagnosis/ Radiology.
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- Otorhinolaryngology (ENT).
- Biochemistry/ Clinical Biochemistry.
- Community Medicine.
- Forensic Science.
- Microbiology/ Clinical Microbiology.
- Pharmacology/ Clinical Pharmacology.
- Physiology/ Clinical Physiology.
- Master of Surgery (MS) – The MS course is a postgraduate program focusing on surgical skills and knowledge. It offers advanced training in surgical techniques, patient care, and specialization in surgical fields. The college offers MS in the following disciplines:
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- Otorhinolaryngology (ENT).
- General Surgery.
- Orthopedics/ Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery.
- Anatomy/ Clinical Anatomy.
- Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) – MDS is a postgraduate course that provides specialized training in various dental specialties. It includes advanced study in areas like oral surgery, orthodontics, endodontics, and periodontics. The college has MDS in the following specialties:
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics.
- Periodontology and Oral Implantology.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics.
- Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry.
- Oral Medicine and Radiology.
- Oral Pathology.
- Public Health Dentistry.
- Anatomy/ Clinical Anatomy.
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) – The M.Sc. MLT program is a postgraduate course that delves deeper into laboratory diagnostics. It covers advanced topics in clinical biochemistry, microbiology, hematology, and research methodologies.
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Medical Imaging Technology (MIT) – The M.Sc. MIT course offers advanced training in medical imaging technologies and techniques. It focuses on areas like radiology, nuclear medicine, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and image analysis.
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Nursing – The M.Sc. Nursing program is designed for nursing professionals seeking advanced knowledge and specialization in areas like medical-surgical nursing, pediatric nursing, psychiatric nursing, or community health nursing.
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Medical Biochemistry – This program focuses on studying biochemical processes in the human body and their implications in healthcare. It covers advanced topics in molecular biology, clinical biochemistry, and metabolic disorders.
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) Medical Microbiology – The M.Sc. Medical Microbiology program explores various microorganisms, their identification, and their roles in diseases. It covers microbiological techniques, immunology, epidemiology, and laboratory practices.
- Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharma) – The M.Pharma course offers advanced pharmaceutical sciences, drug research, and development education. It includes specializations in pharmacology, pharmaceutical analysis, pharmaceutical chemistry, and pharmacy practice.
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) in Clinical Psychology – The M.Phil in Clinical Psychology program focuses on advanced study and research in clinical psychology. It equips students with expertise in psychological assessment, psychotherapy, and mental health interventions.
Institute of Medicine Nepal Fee Structure
With this wide variety of courses, you may wonder how much it costs to study them. Well, I will address exactly that question now. Let’s look at the fee structures of the Institute of Medicine Nepal.
- Nepalese Nationals
|B.Sc. MLT||NPR 7,77,000|
|B.Sc. MIT||NPR 7,77,000|
|B.Sc. Nursing||NPR 10,36,000|
|B.Sc. Medical Biochemistry||NPR 7,77,000|
|B.Sc. Medical Microbiology||NPR 7,77,000|
- SAARC and Non-SAARC Nationals
|Course||Total Fees for SAARC Nationals||Total Fees for Other Nationals|
|MBBS||$ 75,021||$ 90,016|
|BDS||$ 36,575||$ 41,800|
|BAMS||$ 25,080||$ 30,305|
|B.Sc. MLT||$ 12,540||$ 15,675|
|B.Sc. MIT||$ 12,540||$ 15,675|
|B.Pharma||$ 12,540||$ 15,675|
- Nepalese Nationals
|MD in Ayurved||NPR 9,57,640|
|M.Sc. MLT||NPR 7,57,830|
|M.Sc. MIT||NPR 7,57,830|
|M.Sc. Medical Biochemistry||NPR 7,57,830|
|M.Sc. Medical Microbiology||NPR 7,57,830|
|M.Sc. Nursing||NPR 9,20,230|
|M.Phil Clinical Psychology||NPR 3,04,220|
- SAARC and Non- SAARC Nationals
|Course||Total Fees for SAARC Nationals||Total Fees for Other Nationals|
The Institute of Medicine Nepal offers various scholarships to support deserving students in their education. These scholarships aim to reduce financial barriers and promote academic excellence. The institute collaborates with government entities to offer scholarships to eligible students.
These scholarships may be provided by the government of Nepal or through bilateral agreements with other countries, providing financial assistance to students pursuing their studies at IOM. IOM facilitates access to external scholarships and grants offered by organizations, foundations, and institutions both within Nepal and internationally.
Placements and Scope
The Institute of Medicine Nepal focuses on facilitating the successful placement of its graduates in various healthcare sectors. Here are some key aspects of the college’s placement efforts:
- Strong Network – IOM has established strong partnerships and collaborations with hospitals, healthcare institutions, research organizations, and government agencies. These connections provide students with opportunities for internships, practical training, and job placements.
- Industry Interaction – The college actively engages with the healthcare industry through seminars, workshops, and guest lectures by industry experts. These interactions give students insights into the industry’s demands and expectations, enhancing their employability.
- Alumni Network – IOM has a strong alumni network comprising successful healthcare professionals. Alumni often contribute to the placement process by providing mentorship, internship opportunities, and job referrals to current students.
Ranking and Recognition
The Institute of Medicine Nepal has earned recognition and achieved notable rankings in medical education. Here are some points highlighting the institute’s rankings and recognition:
- Recognition by Regulatory Bodies – IOM is recognized by the regulatory bodies governing medical education in Nepal, including the Nepal Medical Council (NMC).
- Affiliation with Tribhuvan University – IOM is affiliated with the oldest and most recognized Nepalese university, Tribhuvan University. This affiliation adds credibility and authenticity to the institute’s programs and degrees, as Tribhuvan University is widely recognized for its academic excellence.
- National and International Reputation – IOM has built a strong reputation both nationally and internationally. The institute’s commitment to producing competent healthcare professionals has earned its respect within the medical community in Nepal and beyond.
- Government Support – The government of Nepal recognizes the importance of medical education and healthcare services IOM provides. It provides support and resources to the institute, further establishing its recognition and standing in the country.
There are very few autonomous medical colleges in Nepal, and one of them is BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences Nepal.
On-Campus Facilities Offered
The Institute of Medicine Nepal provides various facilities to support its students and faculty members’ academic, research, and practical needs. Here are some critical facilities offered by the college:
IOM has well-equipped laboratories for practical training in disciplines such as anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, pathology, and pharmacology.
The institute has a library with many medical textbooks, reference materials, journals, and online resources. These libraries provide students and faculty members access to relevant academic literature and support their research and study requirements.
Lecture Halls and Classrooms
IOM has spacious lecture halls and classrooms equipped with modern audio-visual aids, including projectors and multimedia systems. These facilities provide a conducive environment for interactive teaching and learning.
Hostel and Accommodation
IOM offers hostel facilities for students who require accommodation. These hostels provide a comfortable living environment with the necessary amenities, fostering a sense of community among students.
Cafeteria and Food Services
The institute has cafeterias and food services that cater to the dietary needs of students and staff. These facilities provide hygienic and nutritious meals to ensure the well-being of the college community.
College Contact Details
- Address – Institute of Medicine Maharajgunj, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Distance from Tribhuvan International Airport – About 6 km away.
If you feel that the Institute of Medicine (IOM) is the ideal college for you, reach out to the Career Mudhra team today, and allow our expert counselors to get you started on your journey to be a part of this amazing institution.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can IOM graduates practice medicine internationally?
Yes, IOM graduates are eligible to practice medicine internationally, subject to fulfilling the requirements and regulations of the respective countries where they intend to practice.
2. What is the duration of an MBBS course at Institute of Medicine?
The Institute of Medicine Nepal offers an MBBS course with a 4.5-year duration in addition to a 1 year of internship.
3. Does IOM Nepal offer postgraduate residency programs?
Yes, IOM Nepal offers postgraduate residency programs in various specialties through its affiliated hospitals including Master of Surgery, Doctor of Medicine, Master of Dental Surgery, and more.
4. What is the cost of a BDS course at Institute of Medicine Nepal?
A BDS course at Institute of Medicine Nepal costs NPR 20,92,290 for Nepali students, $ 36,575 for SAARC Nationals, and $ 41,800 for non-SAARC Nationals.
5. How can I contact the Institute of Medicine (IOM) for more information?
For more details, you can check the official website of IOM, or alternatively, you can reach out to Career Mudhra and allow our counselors to help you with any query about IOM you may have.
6. Does IOM Nepal have International Collaborations?
Yes, IOM has National and International Collaborations
7. Does Institute of Medicine Nepal conduct its own entrance exam?
No. The college doesn't conduct its own entrance exams. However, for admission, students must appear for the respective entrance exam conducted by the Medical Education Commission of Nepal.
8. Are NEET scores valid for admission?
Yes. For Indian applicants who have appeared for NEET, they can apply and get admission to IOM Nepal using their NEET scores.
A Small Request
We at Career Mudhra greatly value the perspectives and experiences of our alumni and current students, as they hold valuable insights that can guide prospective students in their educational journey. If you are a part of the IOM community, whether as an alumnus or current student, we invite you to share your invaluable experiences and contribute to our collective knowledge.