There is a stereotype that studying nursing courses will land you the only job of becoming a nurse. Well, that’s half true! Nowadays, nurses are not only constrained to taking care of patients and assisting doctors but also promoters of the healthcare industry, educating on the prevention of diseases, and many more. This has increased the scope of this profession and there are many aspirants willing to study nursing. If you are one such aspirant, then Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore can help you with your education. Read further to know all the information about this college.
Table of Contents
- Shekhar College of Nursing Overview
- Admission to Shekhar Nursing College
- Nursing Courses Offered
- Program Fees Structure
- Placements & Career Opportunities
- Rankings and Recognitions
- On-Campus Facilities Offered
- College Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
Shekhar College of Nursing Overview
Since its establishment in 2003, the Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore has been a leading training institute in the field of healthcare education. The college is a componential unit of the St. Theresa Group of Institutions, affiliated with the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, approved by the Karnataka State Nursing Council, the Pharmacy Council of India, and the Indian Nursing Council, and recognized by the Government of Karnataka.
|Name||Shekhar College of Nursing|
|Address||1357, 15th Cross, R.K. Hegde Nagar, Dr S.R.K Nagar Post, Near Country Club, Bangalore-560083/77|
|Affiliated to||Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences|
|Approved by||Karnataka State Nursing Council, Pharmacy Council of India, Indian Nursing Council|
|Recognized by||Government of Karnataka|
|Hostel||Boys and Girls|
The 3-acre land campus of Shekhar College of Nursing is located on the outskirts of Bangalore nearby some leading corporate companies. The beautiful site of the campus is covered by mild and incline landforms.
Vision & Mission
- To offer excellent patient care with the commitment of knowledge, research, and practice.
- To produce professionals in the field of nursing to encourage society’s healthcare system.
- To become a pioneer of health & nursing leadership.
- To prepare students to face the complex challenges in the healthcare field.
Why Shekhar College of Nursing?
- Experienced faculty.
- Well-equipped labs.
- Multi-Specialty Hospitals.
- Guest Lectures.
- Campus Selection.
- Educational Trips.
- Personality Development Programs.
Admission to Shekhar Nursing College
Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore offers admission to various courses in nursing. Read further to get all the information on the admission procedure, eligibility criteria, and documents required for admission to Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore.
Step 1: Go to the college website to get access to the online application form.
Step 2: Fill out all the appropriate details in the application form.
Step 3: Download and print the filled application form and submit the form to the college authorities.
Step 4: The college will check for eligibility and other aspects and contact you for further proceedings.
Eligibility for GNM Nursing
- The candidate should have completed his 10 + 2 years of schooling.
- The candidate should have scored an aggregate of 40% marks in the 12th examination.
Eligibility for BSc Nursing
- The candidate should have completed his 10 + 2 years of schooling in the science field.
- The candidate should have scored an aggregate of 45% marks in the 12th examination.
Documents Required: GNM & BSc Nursing
- SSLC Marks Card.
- PUC Marks Card.
- Caste Certificate.
- Transfer Certificate.
- Identity Proof.
- Medical Certificate.
- Migration Certificate (For Non-Karnataka Candidates).
Eligibility for PB BSc Nursing
- The candidate should have passed the GNM examinations.
- The candidate should be a registered nurse and registered Midwife by any State Nursing Registration Council.
Eligibility Criteria for MSc Nursing
- The candidate should have passed BSc/PB BSc Nursing examinations.
- The candidate should have scored an aggregate of 55% marks.
Documents Required: PG Courses
- 10th Marks Card.
- 12th Marks Card.
- Degree Certificate.
- Internship Certificate.
- 1-year Work Experience Certificate.
- Category Certificate.
- Transfer Certificate.
- Migration Certificate (For Non-Karnataka Candidates).
Nursing Courses Offered
Shekhar College of Nursing offers 1 undergraduate course, 1 diploma course and 2 post-graduate courses in the field of nursing. All the courses provided by the college are affiliated and approved. The courses are designed to make the students of this college the leaders of the healthcare industry. The courses of Shekhar College of Nursing are
- General Nursing & Midwifery.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Post BSc Nursing.
- Master of Science in Nursing.
General Nursing & Midwifery (GNM)
General Nursing & Midwifery is a diploma course with a duration of 3 years. The course is designed to transform students into skilled and proficient general nurses and manage the health requirements of the nation. The students of Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore are given theoretical as well as practical training.
Bachelor in Nursing (BSc Nursing)
Bachelor’s in Nursing is an undergraduate course of 4 years. This course aims to apply and utilize an understanding of alternative systems, nursing, and physical, biological, and behavioural sciences when providing nursing care to people, families, and communities. The graduates also practice research methodologies in order to advance in this field. The main agenda of this course is to prepare students to become professional nurses and solve healthcare problems with their creative views. This course is probably the first choice of any Nursing aspirant as it is one of the most accepted and popular courses in Nursing.
PB BSc Nursing
Post Basic BSc Nursing is a post-graduate degree with a duration of 2 years. This course is focused on developing skills and competencies pursued in the diploma course of General Nursing & Midwifery. The course is assisted with advanced knowledge via lectures and clinical training.
Which is Better: BSc Nursing or Post BSc Nursing?
|BSc Nursing||Post BSc Nursing|
|Undergraduate Course of 4 years.||Post-Graduate Course of 2 years.|
|Can be pursued right after your 12th.||Can be pursued after the completion of the GNM diploma in Nursing.|
|No prior knowledge of Nursing.||Some prior knowledge of Nursing.|
|Comparatively Fewer Job Opportunities.||Comparative More Job Opportunities.|
M Sc Nursing & Specialties
Master in Nursing is a post-graduate course with a duration of 2 years. The course is an advancement of the undergraduate course of BSc Nursing with specializations in different subjects. The specializations provided along with the course are as follows.
- Medical-Surgical Nursing.
- Child Health Nursing (Paediatric).
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology Nursing.
- Community Health Nursing.
- Psychiatric Nursing (Mental Health).
MSc Nursing in Medical-Surgical Nursing: The course is a specialization in MSc Nursing designed for the care of patients preferably adults who are either about to have surgery or recovering from one. It is one of the leading nursing specialities globally.
MSc Nursing in Child Health Nursing (Pediatric): The course is a specialization in MSc Nursing designed for the care of pregnant women and their babies. It is a critical course as the professionals of this course must exhibit social and emotional concern for both the baby and the family.
MSc Nursing in Obstetrics & Gynaecology Nursing: The course is a combined speciality in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. The concept of Obstetrics focuses on pregnancy, child delivery, post-delivery, and other similar areas and the concept of Gynaecology focuses on the precaution, diagnosis, care, and therapy of any reproductive issues faced during menopause and beyond.
MSc Nursing in Community Health Nursing: Nurses in community health provide an interpretative bridge between the acute sector and community services. They embrace a social model of health to advocate and give a voice to the community accessing care. In a system that is often complex and hard to navigate, nurses in community health are able to simplify the health systems, referral pathways, and access to care.
MSc Nursing in Psychiatric Nursing (Mental Health): The follow of mental state nursing, usually observed as medical speciality nursing, could be a specialist space of nursing that deals with providing care to those who have mental state disorders so as to assist in their recovery and enhance their quality of life. mental state nurses offer specialized care as a result of their superior data on the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of mental diseases. A medical team usually collaborates with alternative health care suppliers so as to convey to the patient the simplest attainable clinical results.
Program Fees Structure
The fee structure can be a boon or a bane in any education you pursue because you desire to gain the best possible education within your affordable budget. There are many courses available in Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore for you to pursue education in the field of nursing. Let’s see if the fee structure of the college lies within your budget or not or if you’re eligible to get financial aid to get admission to this college.
Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore charges you a minimal registration fee at the time of submitting the application. Being a minimal amount, this fee is non-refundable.
|Course Name||Registration Fee|
|PB BSc Nursing||250/-|
Course Fee Structure
The course fee structure for all the courses provided by Shekhar College of Nursing is as follows.
|Course Name||Fees/ year||Duration|
|GNM Nursing||3 years|
|BSc Nursing||4 years|
|PB BSc Nursing||2 years|
|MSc Nursing in Medical-Surgical Nursing||2 years|
|MSc Nursing in Child Health Nursing||2 years|
|MSc Nursing in Obstetrics & Gynaecology||2 years|
|MSc Nursing Community Health Nursing||2 years|
|MSc Nursing Psychiatric Nursing||2 years|
Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore does not provide direct scholarships to its students but as the college is affiliated with the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, the students of this college are eligible for the RGUHS scholarships.
Scholarship Amount: The scholarship amount and allocation assigned to nursing faculties are given below.
|Faculty||No. of Students allocated for scholarship||Scholarship Amount per Annum|
|Nursing||15||INR 20,000/- per annum|
Eligibility Criteria for Scholarship
- The candidate should have been a Karnataka student for a minimum of 10 years.
- The candidate should have scored an aggregate of 60% in the 12th or its equivalent examination.
- The candidate’s parent’s annual income should not be above 6 Lakhs per Annum.
Educational Loan: Due to the demand for professional nurses, many loans with low costs have been initiated to fulfil the education and career of aspirants. This has helped many students in the past and can help you also gain your education as education loans are the most helpful when it comes to financial aid for any aspirant.
Placements & Career Opportunities
Before, the scope of the nursing profession was very minimal as it was constrained to patient care and bedside nursing. But nowadays, nursing has a wide range of opportunities which has led to an increase in this profession. Let’s talk more about the reasons and opportunities available for this course.
Why Pursue Nursing?
- Intimate connection with the patients.
- Significant Role in a person’s life.
- Numerous Career Opportunities.
- Developing Profession.
- Respected Profession.
- Opportunity to work in different departments.
- Flexible Career.
- Competitive Salary.
- Physically Active Work.
Objectives of a Nursing Professional
- Exhibit skills in offering adequate nursing care in all factors.
- Prepare and carry out suitable measures to fulfil nursing necessities.
- Encourage self-care to the needful.
- Use problem-solving strategies in nursing training.
- Apply an understanding of alternative systems, nursing, and physical, biological, and behavioural sciences when providing nursing care to people, families, and communities
- .Using the nursing process, provide family members and the community with all the care they need.
- Apply research methodology knowledge to projects that require attention.
- Take initiatives for the health of society by identifying health problems, diagnosing, planning, and implementing nursing supervision.
- Exhibit proficiency in nursing-based methods on the concepts of physical, behavioural, and biological sciences.
- Partake as a health team member in encouraging, precaution, curing, and maintaining the health system of the nation.
- Exhibit communication skills in dealing with different patients and leadership qualities in difficult situations.
- Demonstrate moral values in professional as well as personal life.
- Work as a specialist in Clinical Nursing.
- Apply the skill and knowledge gained in the concepts of nursing science.
- Provide compelling education and management in nursing.
- Practice autonomous research in the development of nursing education.
- Encourage positivity in others for higher studies in the field of nursing.
The wide range of functions and tasks performed by registered nurses to address the whole spectrum of human experiences and reactions to health and illness can be referred to as a broad scope of nursing practice. This includes health protection, health promotion, maintenance, restoration, rehabilitation, and palliation.
Clinical instructors, tutors, senior tutors, lecturers, associate professors, readers in nursing, and professors in nursing are various positions in nursing education. Let’s talk about various job roles for every nursing course freshers.
General Nursing & Midwifery
- Certified Assistant Nurse.
- Home Care Nurse.
- Staff Nurse.
- Community Health Nurse.
- Nursing Lecturer.
- ICU Nurse.
- Senior Educator.
Bachelor in Nursing
- Service Administrator in Nursing.
- Nursing Superintendent Assistance.
- Industrial Nurse.
- Departmental Supervisor.
- Ward Sister.
- Deputy Superintendent in Nursing.
- Military Nurse.
Post BSc Nursing
- Nursing Superintendent.
- Nursing Director.
- Senior Staff Nurse.
- Nursing Professor.
- Industrial Nurse.
- Pediatric Nurse.
- Nursing Instructor.
Master in Nursing
- In-charge Nurse.
- Registered Nurse.
- Executive Nurse.
- Paramedic Nurse.
- Clinical Nurse Manager.
- Nursing Director.
- Health-Care Centre Nurse.
- Nursing Supervisor.
- Certified Professional Coder.
Rankings and Recognitions
Shekhar College of Nursing is one of the best colleges in Bangalore to study nursing. The college has achieved excellence in health and nursing education with its creative pedagogy, quality research, benevolent consideration, and assistance to society at national and international levels. The college is further proud to be affiliated with the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, approved by the Karnataka State Nursing Council, the Pharmacy Council of India, and the Indian Nursing Council, and recognized by the Government of Karnataka.
On-Campus Facilities Offered
- Classrooms: The classrooms in the college are huge, well-built, and filled with all the most delinquent teaching resources such as LCD projectors, OHP, etc. These teaching resources help in interactive teaching.
- Clinical Exposure: The best service provided by a professional nurse dominates the art of nursing. The college has taken advantage of a great opportunity to provide exceptional service at a number of upscale hospitals in Bangalore. For clinical training, students are sent to hospitals where they are closely supervised by staff. Below is the list of hospitals students are assigned to for clinical and practical exposure.
- KC General Hospital, Bangalore.
- KIDWAI Memorial Institute of Oncology, Bangalore.
- Corporation Hospitals, Bangalore.
- Mediscope Hospital, Bangalore.
- Sri Jayadeva Institution of Cardiology, Bangalore.
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health, Bangalore.
- NIMHANS, Bangalore.
- Student Life: Over 4000 students from its institutes call the Shekhar Institute of Nursing campus home. On 3 acres of land on the outskirts of Bangalore, it is a tiny township all by itself. It is only a short drive from eminent corporations and is situated atop a higher panoramic area surrounded by peaceful and sloping landforms.
- Faculty: The college’s fundamental principles of access, service, achievement, innovation, and excellence are all supported by the faculty members. The college’s mission encourages the development of diploma and graduate education programs to suit students’ learning needs in a changing society. Faculty members assist the institution and the nursing discipline through teaching, participating in personality development programs, providing professional services, and engaging in the community.
A highly effective and knowledgeable teaching staff, that includes visiting professors from prominent institutions. The students are given access to a splendid residential program run by committed executives that will round them out and prepare them to handle the dynamic emergencies of current times.
- Lab Facilities: Supplied with the latest equipment, the laboratories in the college are well-built. Fundamental Lab, Health Nursing, Nutrition Lab, AV Aids Lab, and MCH labs are a part of the campus facilities. The college also provides free training on the usage of computers and the internet.
- Library: The college has its own library with a large selection of current editions of relevant books. The library receives new books and periodicals every year. The library has textbooks, magazines, and newspapers that the students can use for research and general reference, enabling them to access a wide range of knowledge.
- Hostel: The college offers a separate hostel for both boys and girls within the campus area. The religious sisters run the hostel and a Holy Mass is conducted in the campus every Sunday. The hostel mess provides delicious South Indian and North Indian food.
- Miscellaneous Facilities
- Contact Facilities.
- 100% Security.
- Transport for Medical Emergency.
- Guest Room for Parents.
- Annual Spiritual Retreat.
- Seminar & Workshops.
- Sports and Cultures.
- Industrial Visits.
College Contact Details
Address: 28/29, Hesaraghatta main Road, Mallasandra, T.Dasarahali, Bangalore-560057, Campus: 1357, 15th Cross, R.K.Hegde Nagar, Dr S.R.K Nagar Post, Near Country Club, Bangalore-560083/77.
- Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Contact No: +91 9830161938, +91 9903037074.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How old is the Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore?
Established in 2002, the college has 20 years of experience to date.
2. Is the college managed by any Institution?
Yes, Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore is running under the St. Theresa Group of Institutions.
3. Does Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore provide courses other than BSc Nursing?
Yes, the college also offers Post BSc Nursing, GNM Nursing, and MSc Nursing.
4. Is the college affiliated and approved?
Yes, the college is affiliated with the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, and approved by the Karnataka State Nursing Council, the Pharmacy Council of India, and the Indian Nursing Council.
5. What is the duration and eligibility for GNM Nursing?
The duration for GNM Nursing is 2 years and the eligibility is 10 + 2 examinations with an aggregate of 40% marks.
6. Does Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore offer any scholarships?
No, the college does not provide direct scholarships, but the candidate can apply for RGUHS scholarships.
7. Are there any hospitals attached to the college?
Unfortunately, the college doesn’t have any hospitals on campus, but it has collaborated with many hospitals.
8. What facilities are provided by the Shekhar College of Nursing Bangalore?
The college facilitates its students with clinical exposure, lab facilities, a library, a hostel, and other miscellaneous facilities.
If you wish to check out another Nursing college, you can go through my detailed post on:
One Small Ask To Our Readers:
I have tried to give all the essential details about the college in this blog. But, if you have been a student or an alumnus of this college, then you can give a better idea about the college to all the nursing aspirants. So kindly share your experience in the comment section below.