Architecture is a field where the architects have to work from the abstracts to the real structure. It is a passion ,profession and a business. It has often been described as a social art and science. Each building such as home, school, office, hospital etc. have been designed for a particular purpose. It takes into account both the aesthetic and the practical factors. It is a profession which fetches good return. SJB School of Architecture and Planning Bangalore offers architecture courses.
Table of Contents
- SJB School of Architecture Overview
- Admissions at SJB Architecture School
- Architecture Programs Offered
- Program Fees Structure
- Placements & Career Opportunities
- Rankings & Recognitions
- On-Campus Facilities Offered
- College Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
SJB School of Architecture Overview
SJB School of Architecture and Planning Bangalore was established in the year 2013. Its main purpose is to provide professional education to the rural and poor people, which was perceived to be affordable only by the elite and rich. The vision of the college is to think globally and serve the people locally. The tradition was followed by His Holiness Balagangadhranatha Swamiji throughout his life.
|Name||SJB School of Architecture and Planning|
|Address||BGS Health & Education City, Kengeri, Bangalore 560060|
|Affiliated to||Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum|
|Approved by||Council of Architecture, New Delhi|
|Hostel||Both Boys and Girls|
SJB School of Architecture and Planning Bangalore is an all-inclusive place offering courses in various disciplines. In its initial years, it had two undergraduate programs mainly Bachelor of Architecture and Bachelor of Planning. The two courses complemented each other. Later on, the focus was on specialized courses like urban design, Landscape Architecture, Design and Construction Management. Its main purpose was to provide global standards for planning of cities and villages.
The college is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum and is approved by the Council of Architecture, New Delhi. It is located at BGS Health & Education City, Kengeri, Bangalore 560060.
The salient features of SJB School of Architecture and Planning are:
- Only the School of Architecture which has workshops and studios open round the clock for the benefit of the students.
- Students are given maximum number of guest lectures by famous architects.
- The faculty at the college have taken Appreciation and Cultural Tours to the most admired countries with other schools and also encouraging students to take part in it.
- The students have visited 5 countries with the faculties before completion of the first year.
- The new building which is under construction is designed by national award winning architects Gayathri and Namith and it is the most expensive structure in Karnataka.
- The college was the first to start hands-on construction workshops, in which the students build the components.
- Offers open house sessions, which allows students to attend lectures conducted for the B. Arch students.
Admissions at SJB Architecture School
The details about the courses offered at SJB School of Architecture and Planning are mentioned on the website of the college. To know more, please contact:
The Admission Cell
SJB School of Architecture and Planning,
BGS Health & Education City, Kengeri, Bangalore.
The steps to be followed for admissions to the courses is as follows:
Step 1: Go to the admissions page on the college website.
Step 2: You need to register yourself and verify your mail.
Step 3: Fill in the application form with the correct details.
Step 4: After filling the application form, you need to pay the application fees.
Step 5: Once you have paid the fees, you can submit the application form.
Step 6: Take a printout of the completed application form for future reference.
Eligibility Criteria for B Arch
Admissions to B. Arch can be made in 3 ways. The eligibility criteria for getting admissions is as follows:
- Admissions through the KCET merit list, which is notified by the KEA.
- Candidates must have passed 12th Standard/ 10+2/ Intermediate/ PUC or any other equivalent state examination with a minimum of 50% aggregate.
- Must have a valid NATA Score.
- Architecture Aptitude – NATA:. Candidate must have scored 50% marks.
- Candidates .must .score .50% marks in the qualifying examination. (10+2/ PUC).
- The candidates looking for admission under this quota must register using online forms on the COMED-K website.
- Candidate must have a valid score in NATA.
- Must have scored 50% or second class in Class 12th/. PUC or any other equivalent examination.
Documents Required for B Arch
The documents required during admissions to B. Arch are:
- 10th and 12th Mark sheets.
- COMED-K or CET .Allotment Letter.
- Mark sheet of PUC.
- NATA Scorecard.
- Migration or Study Certificate.
- SC/ ST/ Caste Certificate.
- Income certificate.
- Transfer Certificate.
- Anti-Ragging Affidavit (Available in college).
- Recent Photographs (stamp size and passport size).
Eligibility Criteria for M Arch
Admissions to the post graduate M. Arch takes place in 2 ways. The eligibility criteria for getting admissions to M. Arch are:
- Admissions take place through the PG-CET merit list which is notified by the KEA.
- Candidates must have passed B. Arch from recognized university with minimum aggregate of 50% .
- Valid GATE Score is required for getting direct admissions.
- Candidates must have passed B Arch from a recognized university or college with aggregate of 50%.
- Must have passed PG-CET/ Gate examination.
Documents Required for M Arch
- B. Arch Passing Certificate and Mark sheet.
- PGCET Scorecard.
- NATA Scorecard.
- Caste/ Community Certificate (if applicable).
- Transfer Certificate.
- Conduct Certificate.
- Medical Certificate.
Important Admission Dates
The accepted examinations for admissions to B. Arch are JEE Main, JEE Advanced and NATA. Some states conduct their examination for admissions to B. Arch. The important dates for the exams are given below:
|Examination||Date of Registration||Date of Examination|
|NATA||8 April 2022-28 May 2022||12 June 2022|
|JEE Main||1 June 2022-30 June 2022||21 July 2022-30 July 2022|
|JEE Advanced||8 June 2022-14 June 2022||3 July 2022|
|COMEDK UGET||4TH week of March 2022- 3rd week of July 2022||4th week of July 2022|
Architecture Programs Offered
SJB School of Architecture and Planning Bangalore offers an undergraduate course, Bachelor of Architecture or B. Arch and a postgraduate in Master of Architecture or M. Arch.
Bachelor of Architecture (B Arch)
Bachelor of Architecture or B. Arch is a bachelor level program in the field of architecture. It is a 5 year course, which is a combination of theory and practical for the students. It involves learning about planning, designing and constructing physical structures of various types. Starting from mapping to monitoring the construction, a good architect is involved at every stage in the construction of the project.
Master of Architecture (M Arch)
Master of Architecture or M. Arch is a post graduate level program for a duration of 2 years. The field of architecture requires planning, designing and building commercial and residential infrastructures. The specializations offered are Green Architecture, Landscape Architecture and Naval Architecture and so on.
The faculty members at SJB School of Architecture and Planning Bangalore are highly qualified, experienced and learned individuals. During the duration of the course, they mentor, guide and motivate the students to gain knowledge before entering the architectural field. .Few of the faculty members are:
- Dr. M. Chandrasekhar – Dean and Professor.
- Ar. Shilpa Madan Gopal – Dean (in charge) and Professor.
- Ar. Navnath Kanade – Professor.
- Dr. Sridhar Rajan – Professor.
- Ar. Jai Ganesh M.S – Professor.
- Ar. Thirvikram N.B – Professor.
- Sumana Chowdhury – Associate Professor.
- Mr. K. T. Satish Chandra – Associate Professor.
- Ar. Gisha Joy – Associate Professor.
- Ar. Venu Nataraj – Associate Professor.
- Ar. Nagaraj Y S – Associate Professor.
- Ar. Vinayak – Associate Professor.
- Ar. Shwetha Pai – Associate Professor.
- Ar. Sarita Mahadik – Associate Professor.
- Ar. Deepti Gupta – Associate Professor and many more.
Tours and Conferences
The institution organizes tours and conferences within the country and abroad. The students get exposure to the types of buildings, structure and designs. Some of the educational tours where they were taken are:
- Study Tour of Goa and Karnataka.
- Study Tour of North India.
- Study Tour of South India.
- Educational trip to Japan.
- US and Europe tour.
- Post Graduate students were taken to Amravati City, which is the capital of Andhra Pradesh. The education tour aimed to have a detailed understanding about the aspects of building and construction in the city.
Research and Development form an integral part of the course structure in the college. It has a journal named Sthala, which publishes research papers on topics on architecture, planning, designing and interior designing. The faculty members along with the students publish papers in various national and international journals.
Program Fees Structure
The fees structure for the courses offered at SJB School of Architecture and Planning is:
|B. Arch||Rs 58,800/-per year||5 years|
|M. Arch||Rs 64,000/- per year||2 years|
Payment Method Options: The payment of the college fees can be done in different ways like Demand Draft, .Cheques, NEFT Transfer, Net Banking and Online Payments through UPI.. You can opt for any of the fees payment methods as per your convenience.
Scholarships: Scholarships are given to those students who are meritorious in academics and to those who require financial assistance. It is given to boost their self-confidence and also encourage them to achieve academic excellence in life
Educational Loans: Educational loans facility can be availed from the banks which are having tie-up with the college. You can get loans at comparatively cheaper interest rates from such banks.
Placements & Career Opportunities
The placement cell provides placement assistance to the architectural students. They are in constant touch with the industry experts to know about the current job and industrial scenario. It organises conferences, workshops, guest lectures and grooming sessions for the students, so that they become industry ready. The students get placed in the top companies in the field of architecture.
In today’s world, the architecture field has become the most sought after and lucrative field. Lots of public and private companies are looking for architects. There are immense amounts of opportunities available for them within the country and abroad. Some of the jobs offered to architects are:
- Landscape Architect.
- Project Manager.
- Project Architect.
- Design Architect.
- Design Conservator.
The students got the opportunity to work with a company called Betweenlines in the year 2019. Betweenlines is an Architecture and Design Firm. The project was called test beds. These were placed on the roof top of Energy Resource Institute for further study. The main objective of the research is to use the green energy resources for the benefit of the environment.
Architects are professionals who are considered to be well paid and respected in the society. The salary package can differ from one company to another or government and private organization. The salary packages which are offered to architects are:
|Package||Amount ( Per annum)|
|Average salary package||INR 3 LPA|
|Minimum salary package||INR 2 LPA|
|Maximum salary package||INR 7 LPA|
Higher Studies after B Arch
After completing the course, lots of options become available to pursue further studies and become professionals in the field. These courses can help to gain more knowledge in the field and improve the chances of better job opportunities. Some of the courses which you can opt for are:
- MBA Urban Development.
- MBA Interior Design.
- MBA Industrial Management.
- MBA Real Estate.
- Master’s in Architecture.
- Master of Planning.
Rankings & Recognitions
SJB School of Architecture and Planning Bangalore is ranked among the top colleges for architecture courses in Karnataka. The institute is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University Belgaum. The courses are approved by the Council of Architecture, New Delhi. It has been ranked as one of the top colleges because of its course-curriculum, infrastructure and the faculty. The students have got placements in top architecture companies in India.
On-Campus Facilities Offered
SJB School of Architecture and Planning Bangalore has got a serene and beautiful campus located at Kengeri, which is the city of Bangalore. It is a cosmopolitan city which is an educational and industrial hub of India. Students from all over India come to study here. The facilities available to students on campus are:
The institution provides hostel accommodation to both boys and girls. There are separate hostels within the campus. The rooms are spacious, furnished and well ventilated. The warden is in charge of the safety and security of the hostelers. It is a place where they can feel home, even though they are away from home. The mess provides healthy food at reasonable prices for the students.
Architects play an important role in designing and producing the building environment. The students are made to resolve the problems in their designs with the help of their faculty. The studios have drafting chairs and tables. It can accommodate 40 students. It is open throughout the day and also operates as learning communities.
Each class can accommodate 40 students at a time. It is modernized and equipped with latest teaching aids to provide lectures and tutorials to the students.
The library at SJB School of Architecture and Planning Bangalore is the knowledge center for the students and faculty. It has over 600 books on Architecture. It ranges from subjects like Architecture, Art, History, Interior Design, Urban design, Sociology etc. There are around 15 National and international Journals for the respective field.
A complete floor is dedicated to the works of the students and models in the new building. There is a separate section for building materials displays. This helps in updating the knowledge of the students.
Model Making Spaces
There is a separate place for the model making in the new building. It is equipped with laser cutters, 3D Printers, electrical kilns and so on. Physical models help in better understanding of the concepts of architecture and the finished products.
The climatology lab is well equipped with advanced technological equipment. Here, the students gets hands on experience on the changes in climate and temperature. These factors play an important role while construction of a structure.
Open Air Theatre
Students at the college are encouraged to participate in performing arts and theatre. The open air theatre is located within the campus, where plays, stage shows, role plays as well as cultural programs happen every year.It has a seating capacity of around 200 people.
The institution believes in the overall development of the students. So, they are select their hobbies or activity and become members of the music club, fashion club and art club.
Music Club at SJB School of Architecture and Planning Bangalore promotes various types of music such as Classical and Hindustani music, Instrumental music, rock music, hip hop and so on. Students come together to participate in various inter college music competition. They also perform gigs in rock and also perform on classic music.
The main purpose of the fashion club is to bring together students who are interested in the field of fashion. It aims to provide knowledge on fashion as well as in architecture. It promotes events, fun activities and encourages participation in inter college events which are held outside college.
Art Club aims to promote creativity and encourages expressive ways of showcasing their art skills. Exposure is given on topics beyond the spectrum. It inculcate professionalism in the field. It awards fellowships to meritorious aspirants in visual arts.
College Contact Details
Address:VFXW+236, BGS Health & Education City, Kengeri, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560060.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where is SJB School of Architecture and Planning located?
The college is located at BGS Health & Education City, Kengeri, Bangalore.
2. Which university is the college affiliated to?
The college is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University Belgaum.
3. What are the courses offered by the institution?
The institution offers undergraduate B. Arch and post graduate M. Arch courses.
4. Are the courses approved?
Yes, the courses are approved by the Council of Architecture, New Delhi.
5. Is hostel facility provided within the campus?
Yes, hostel facilities are provided for both boys and girls.
6. Does the college provide placements to the students?
Yes, the college provides placements to the students.
7. Are there job opportunities available after completing architecture?
Yes, there are lots of job opportunities available after completing architecture.
8. What are the facilities offered in the college?
The facilities offered to the students are hostels, studios, classrooms, library, exhibition spaces, model making spaces etc.
Interested to checkout another Architecture college. Click and follow the link below to go through my detailed post on:
Take a Moment:
Thank you for going through our posts on a regular basis. If you are an alumni or a student currently studying in SJB School of Architecture and Planning Bangalore, please write a review for us. Your views about the institution will help the upcoming architects.