Is SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram the right choice of college for me to study dentistry? What are the salient features of this college?
Aspirants who are willing to take up dentistry after their higher education always have questions when they look for top colleges for dental education. To clear your questions, I can only say that you have landed on a proper page. In this blog, I am going to provide you with all the essential information about SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram. Kindly take your time and read the whole blog for an informative experience!
Table of Contents
- SRM Kattankulathur Dental College Overview
- Dentistry Courses Offered
- Dentistry Courses Fee Structure
- Career and Placements
- Rankings & recognitions
- On-Campus Facilities offered
- College Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
SRM Kattankulathur Dental College Overview
SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram was established in the year 2007 as an undergraduate institute. The college is currently affiliated with and working under the SRM Institute of Science & Technology with the approval of the Dental Council of India and the accreditation of NAAC.
|Name||SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram|
|Address||SRM KATTANKULATHUR DENTAL COLLEGE, Potheri, SRM Nagar, Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu 603203|
|Affiliated to||SRM Institute of Science & Technology|
|Recognized by||Dental Council of India|
|Hostel||Boys and Girls|
- Huge Campus.
- 1500 bedded College Hospital.
- Modern & Innovative Teaching Methods.
- Transparent E-governance with Individual Attention.
- Hostel with Outstanding Facilities.
- Extra-Curricular Activities.
- Highly Educated Faculty.
- The Largest Simulation Center for Acquiring Technical Finesse in South Asia-Medical & Dental Simulation.
- Well-Connected Transport Facilities.
- Truly Cosmopolitan Environment with Students from all over the Globe.
Why choose SRM Kattankulathur?
The curriculum is created to address the requirements of the ever-emerging new issues in the healthcare industry. The SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram achieves a good balance between the theoretical and practical elements that are compared to the norms of healthcare organizations and cover all areas of dentistry.
- To set a benchmark in the leadership of dental research and education.
- To be admired both domestically and abroad.
- To become every student’s and faculty’s best choice for a dental college.
- To treat oral & craniofacial needs of people in a moral and affordable manner.
- To impart knowledge to students that they can use to show their progress towards becoming proficient in meeting society’s needs for oral health.
- Advancing the practice of oral health care and related technology for the advantage of individuals, families, and communities via the discovery and translation of new scientific information.
- To prepare students to deal with the issues that impoverished groups have with access to orofacial treatment.
- Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics.
- Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology.
- Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics.
- Public Health Dentistry.
- Oral Diagnosis, Oral Medicine, and Radiology.
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry.
- Prosthodontics and Implantology.
Both undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the field of dentistry are available at SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram that have been approved by the Dental Council of India. The Dental Council of India’s rules and regulations are rigorously followed when it comes to the courses that are given and the eligibility requirements that must be met. Let’s talk in detail about SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram admissions.
SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram admission intake for BDS and MDS in different specializations are given below.
|Course Name||Intake Capacity|
|Prosthodontics & Crown and Bridge||3|
|Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery||3|
|Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics||3|
|Conservative & Endodontics||3|
|Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry||3|
Step 1: Access the online application form by visiting the college website.
Step 2: Fill in and submit the correct details in the application form.
Step 3: SRM Kattankulathur Dental College will check for the eligibility criteria.
Step 4: If you pass the eligibility criteria, you will be called for a counselling session.
- Common counselling by the DGHS shall determine your admission to the college.
- According to the schedule provided by MCC, those applicants who are chosen for admission are required to appear before the Dean between the hours of 10 am and 5 pm.
- During the counselling, you will have to submit the required documents to the venue.
Eligibility Criteria for BDS
- Candidates must be at least 17 years old at the end of the year they are admitted to the BDS program.
- Should have completed 10 + 2 or equivalent examinations according to the DCI norms.
- Should have appeared and qualified for NEET UG Examinations.
- 10th Marks Card.
- 12th Marks Card.
- NEET Scorecard, Rank Card & Admit Card.
- Allotment Letter by DGHS.
- Transfer Certificate.
- Birth Certificate.
- Aadhar Card.
- Conduct Certificate.
- Community Certificate.
- NRI Documents (For NRI Students).
- Fitness Certificate.
- 10 Passport Size Photos.
Important Dates – NEET BDS 2022
|Application Registration Date||April 6, 2022|
|Application Form Submission Last Date||May 20, 2022|
|Admit Card Release Date||July 12, 2022|
|Exam Date||July 17, 2022|
|Result Announcement||September 7, 2022|
Eligibility Criteria for MDS
- The candidate should have completed his BDS Degree or any equivalent examination approved by the Dental Council of India.
- The candidate should have successfully completed his one year of C.R.R.I.
- The candidate should have appeared and qualified for the NEET PG Examination.
- 10th & 12th Marks Card.
- NEET PG Admit Card & Scorecard.
- Allotment Letter by DGHS.
- All Semester Marks Sheet.
- Provisional Degree Certificate.
- Attempt Certificate.
- Community Certificate.
- Transfer Certificate.
- Attempt Certificate.
- State Dental Council Registration.
- Migration Certificate.
- Identity Proof.
- Recognition Letter by DCI.
- 10 Passport Size Photos.
Important dates for NEET MDS 2022
|Application Registration Date||March 2022|
|Application Form Submission Last Date||March 2022|
|Admit Card Release Date||April 2022|
|Exam Date||May 2022|
|Result Announcement||July 2022|
Dentistry Courses Offered
SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram offers an undergraduate course of BDS and a post-graduate course of MDS for 5 years and 3 years respectively. The MDS course is accompanied by 6 specializations. The college has a highly trained faculty and the departments of these specializations make it easier for the students of SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram to get a grip on both the courses.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery
The Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) program is a five-year program that consists of four years of study and one year of required rotational internship (CRI). DCI standards call for the admission of 100 students per year. The dental degree consists of the first two years of basic sciences, which cover all of the human body’s systems, and the next three years of clinical work experience, which encourages students to develop their abilities for practising dentistry.
Students are educated about dental issues and surgery in this course. Additionally, it is a solid degree program that emphasizes employment, and there are several prospects in the healthcare, pharmaceutical, and medical equipment major industries. A person who is instrumental in the management of dental issues is awarded a BDS degree.
Learning Prospectus for BDS
|Year of Study||Area of Study|
|First Year||Dental Materials & Clinical Applications.|
|Second Year||Preclinical Exercises in Plaster Models and Typohodont in Natural Teeth & Phantom Head Models.|
|Third Year||Simple Restorative Treatments on Patients.|
|Fourth Year||Complex Restorations & Anterior Root Canal Treatments.|
Master of Dental Surgery
The Dental Council of India’s MDS curriculum completely adheres to the SRM Kattankulathur Dental College. The institution provides MDS courses in a number of dental specialities within 3 years of the curriculum.
- Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics.
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics.
- Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Prosthodontics & Crown and Bridge.
MDS in Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics: The area of conservative dentistry is focused on maintaining existing teeth in the mouth. It encompasses the disciplines of endodontics and operational dentistry as well as various forms of immediate and indirect repairs of specific teeth in the mouth.
MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics: Correction of tooth malocclusions is the goal of the science of orthodontics.” The examination of how the teeth correlate to face development and the treatment of halted and distorted progression through adolescence to maturity” is the definition of orthodontics.
MDS in Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry: For newborns, children, adolescents, and individuals with particular medical needs, Pedodontics is an age-defined speciality that offers primary and comprehensive, preventive, and therapeutic oral health treatment.
MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: The field of oral and maxillofacial surgery is focused on treating a wide range of conditions, wounds, and deformities affecting the head, neck, facial, jaw, and soft and hard tissues of the mouth. Depending on the jurisdiction, maxillofacial surgeons may need training in dentistry, surgery, and general medicine. It is a globally renowned surgical speciality.
MDS in Periodontology: A periodontist as such deals not only with disorders that affect the teeth but also with conditions that cause a tooth to become loose from its socket. He or she primarily works with conditions affecting the gums, the bone that surrounds the tooth, and the joint that holds it in place.
MDS in Prosthodontics & Crown and Bridge: Prosthodontics is a specialization that deals with creating, fabricating, and assembling artificial teeth and other oral structures. It is a subspecialty of dentistry that focuses mostly on reconstructing missing orofacial components cosmetically.
Dentistry Courses Fee Structure
SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram is a renowned college and many candidates apply for admission to this college, and deserving candidates get selected. These deserving candidates are expected to pay a dedicated amount for the course fees, registration fees, and hostel fees.
Registration Fees: Candidates applying for any course will have to pay a non-refundable amount in their first year as the registration fee.
|Course Name||Registration Fee|
|MDS (any specialization)||INR 10,000/-|
SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital’s fee structure for both BDS and MDS courses are:
|Course Name||Annual Fees||Duration|
|BDS||INR 3,90,000/-||3 years|
|Prosthodontics & Crown and Bridge||INR 11,00,000/-||3 years|
|Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery||INR 14,00,000/-||3 years|
|Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics||INR 14,00,000/-||3 years|
|Periodontology||INR 10,00,000/-||3 years|
|Conservative & Endodontics||INR 14,00,000/-||3 years|
|Pediatric & Preventive Dentistry||INR 12,00,000/-||3 years|
The hostel and mess fees for both boys and girls are:
|Hostel Fees (A/C Single Room)||INR 2,20,000/-||INR 2,20,000/-|
|Hostel Fees (Non A/C Single Room)||INR 1,60,000/-||INR 1,60,000/-|
|Mess Fees||INR 75,000/-||INR 75,000/-|
SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram accepts payment through online transfer or Demand Draft. The Demand Draft should be in the favor of “SRMIST Dental College” and the online transfer should be through RTGS or NEFT Transfer.
Details to be mentioned during online transfer
- Student Name.
- NEET Roll No.
- Course Name.
- Account Holder Name.
Scholarships: There are many private and government scholarships for candidates who are unable to pursue their education because of their financial crisis. You can always check for those scholarships and acquire one of them.
Education Loans: After scholarships, the best option for financial help is always an educational loan. Almost all banks provide educational loans to students who can not pay huge fee amounts at once.
Career and Placements
The dental profession is probably the most trending profession nowadays. It is said to be right after MBBS in popularity and respect. But there are many people who think that as the profession is gradually increasing, the competition is also increasing and it is difficult to get a good income out of this profession. Let’s see if what people say is true or not!
Is dentistry a difficult career to pursue?
Dentistry is quite challenging, so you should be enthusiastic, have a diligent study attitude, and be focused when doing the course. During the course duration, students will receive practical instruction in the field of dentistry. The diseases will become more tangible to children. By itself, dentistry is a super speciality. A dentist will alter and fix the patient’s physical features since, as the proverb goes, “the face is the index of the mind.” Dentistry covers the entire body rather than just the teeth. The teeth (nasal cavity) are sculpted by a dentist to improve aesthetics.
Why choose dentistry?
- Independent Profession.
- Variety of Career Options.
- Flexible Lifestyle.
- Creative Work.
- Respected Profession.
- Transform your patient’s life.
A one-year mandatory internship is a requirement of the BDS program in order to give students a realistic perspective on how they might conduct their professional lives in the future. It starts after the fourth year of the BDS course is complete.
Why Internships are needed?
- Increases the dental knowledge of interns.
- Increase in clinical aptitude.
- Become more self-assured in your skills and abilities.
- Boost your capacity for communication.
- Fostering professionalism.
- Enhancing scientific research abilities.
- With the help of volunteers, improve community dental efforts.
MDS after BDS, a boon or bane?
This question arises in almost every BDS graduate who is confused about pursuing higher education or not. Well! There is no absolute answer as it differs from person to person. I can give you the advantages and disadvantages of MDS to get a better idea about your confusion.
|Higher Priority than BDS.||Time Spent.|
|Better option for the teaching profession.||Less salary in private jobs.|
|Better opportunity to open a clinic.||Struggle is the same to open a clinic.|
|Personal Satisfaction.||Qualify DDS Exam to go abroad.|
- Government Hospitals: Every hospital, whether it is public or private, is constantly looking to hire competent dentists. One of the main benefits of working for a government hospital is that, after retirement, employees are eligible for pension benefits.
- Clinical Practice: After being recognized as a dentist by the Dental Council of India, a BDS graduate can begin clinical practice. According to many alumni, this is a lucrative profession.
- Research Expert: Pharmaceutical corporations are among the most skilled global perpetrators of cutting-edge research initiatives. A qualified dental science student with an eye for knowledge gaps can be a valuable asset for a business located anywhere in the world.
- Lecturer: The individual must hold both a BDS and an MDS degree in order to be a lecturer both in India and overseas. The college administration will be proud to hire the candidate as a lecturer if their performance metrics and professional resume of their dentistry practices are strong.
- Opening Private Specialty Clinic: A student who earns a master’s degree becomes an expert in that discipline. Along with developing their expertise in the speciality, they have mastered, they have the opportunity to open their own private dental practice or speciality clinic. Opening a private clinic necessitates both the necessary technical know-how and financial resources.
- Dental Cosmetologist: Due to people’s growing beauty consciousness, there is a growing preference for dental cosmetologists, which puts dental graduates in high demand. This is a lucrative vocation that earns dental specialists enormous pay thanks to the use of cutting-edge technology to alter dental features as needed.
Rankings & recognitions
The National Assessment and Accreditation Council have awarded SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram with an accreditation grade of A++ (NAAC). The college is also categorized as “A” by the Ministry of Human Resource Development. The Dental Council of India has approved all UG/PG programs offered by the college. As a result, SRM Kattankulathur Dental College and Hospital is one of the nation’s most reputable centres for dental sciences.
On-Campus Facilities offered
- Infrastructure: Since its founding, SRM Institute of Science and Technology (formerly SRM University) has consistently upheld the highest academic standards. The knowledgeable professors, fascinating libraries, stimulating discussion rooms, spacious playgrounds, and cutting-edge labs make learning pleasurable here. SRM Institute of Science and Technology, formerly known as SRM University, operates on four campuses with the goal of providing high-quality education.
- Library: The library has 200 seats available. There are currently 4620 volumes of books in our college library’s collection, covering a wide range of topics. Some of those are uncommon and priceless. Resources are created with the utmost attention for each department. The Library has 8233 square feet of space in total. Our library contains good collections of recent CDs in a variety of subjects and subscribes to 88 periodicals, the EBSCO Dentistry Database, and other resources.
- Conference & Seminar Halls: the Dr. T. P. Ganesan Auditorium can accommodate 4000 people. The SRM campus, which spans a vast 7, 89,650 square meters, is also home to several skyscrapers, including the fifteen-story Tech Park and University Administrative Building. To provide the utmost comfort for the audience members seated, all of the conference halls on the college campus are spacious and Wi-Fi-enabled.
- Hostel: There are 14 hostel blocks designated for boys, with each block’s capacity ranging from 200 to 1000 students. About 7500 people can stay in the men’s hostel at once. For female students, there are 7 blocks with capacities ranging from 250 to 700 students each. The Women’s Hostel can accommodate roughly 4000 people in total. The hostel buildings are self-sufficient structures that provide the students with all of their basic needs.
- Other Facilities
- Simulation Centre.
- Mobile Clinic.
College Contact Details
Address: SRM KATTANKULATHUR DENTAL COLLEGE, Potheri, SRM Nagar, Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu 603203.
- Email Id: email@example.com
- Contact No: 04447432481.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram is affiliated with which University?
SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram is affiliated with Karnataka State Law University.
2. Where is the college located?
The college is located at Potheri, SRM Nagar, Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu 603203.
3. Are both BDS and MDS courses approved?
Yes, the courses are approved by the Dental Council of India.
4. What are the courses offered by SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram?
The institute offers BDS and MDS with specializations.
5. How much time does it take to complete MDS?
It takes 3 years to complete an MDS course in SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram.
6. Is hostel facilities available for the students?
Yes, hostel facilities are available for both boys and girls.
7. What are the facilities available to the students of SRM Kattankulathur Dental College & Hospital, Kanchipuram?
The facilities available to the students on campus are seminar halls, a library, a hostel, a laboratory, a mobile clinic, and sports.
If you want to gather relevant and important information on another dental college, you can follow the link below to check out my detailed post on:
We did our best to include all pertinent details about this college. If you are an alumnus or otherwise connected to this college, please share your experiences there with us. Don’t be shy about using your priceless experience to benefit others.