Dentistry is a very unique profession as it can be considered half-clinical and half-business. This uniqueness has created a demand for this profession and there are many colleges waiting to welcome aspirants interested in this field. Tagore Dental College Chennai awaits you to join and study in their auspicious environment. To know more about this college, take a look further at this article.
Table of Contents
- Tagore Dental College Overview
- Admissions at Tagore Dental College
- Courses Offered
- Tagore Dental College Fees
- Placements and Career Options
- Rankings and Achievements
- Facilities Offered
- College Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
Tagore Dental College Overview
Tagore Dental College Chennai was established in the year 2007 by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. Initially, the Dental Council of India permitted the college to start with a BDS course and eventually, it included the MDS course in the curriculum from the year 2018.
|Name||Tagore Dental College|
|Address||Rathinamangalam, Melakkottaiyur Post, Near Vandalur, Chennai- 600127|
|Affiliated to||Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University Chennai|
|Approved by||Dental Council of India|
|Hostel||Boys and Girls|
The college is located near Rathinamangalam, Vandalur, Chennai which is an enormous area near the base of the Chennai IT. It is situated in an environment-friendly area for students to enjoy nature with their studies. The college can be reached easily via road links and metro facilities and students can easily find an economical solution for transportation. This is one of the most sought-after Dental Colleges in India
Their vision is to be recognized as a hub of excellence in Dental Education and spread their knowledge with a competitive attitude. They want to excel in their quality of education, encourage technical competencies and also promote personality development for their students to be well-versed socially.
Their mission of Tagore Dental College Chennai is to develop every aspect of their college such as infrastructure, college facilities, curriculum, and extracurricular activities for their students to excel in their profession as well as contribute to the country with their personality.
Goals and Objectives
- To provide their students a perfect environment to spend their course time.
- To nurture the student to go beyond their potential.
- To attend to the patients with a sense of responsibility, care, and soft approach.
- To provide an infrastructure that suits the students.
- To deliver health care services to all the patients.
- Acknowledge and share the work of research by students as well as the faculty.
- To contribute to the development of the nation in dentistry.
Admissions at Tagore Dental College
Tagore Dental College Chennai offers admission to 100 students every year. With the affiliation of Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, 65 students will get admission and will be listed on the Government Merit List including their centralized counseling. Other 35 students will also go through Government counseling and get admission in the management quota.
- Step 1: Apply online for admission on the college website.
- Step 2: The application will be processed according to the eligibility criteria of the course.
- Step 3: Once the eligibility criteria are passed, the student will be called for counseling.
Eligibility for BDS
- The candidate should have completed his 12th.
- They should have had Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in their curriculum.
- They should have obtained aggregate marks of 50% in Physics, Chemistry and Biology (Zoology or Botany) and English.
- Scheduled castes are eligible with aggregate marks of 40%.
- Candidates should have completed the age of 17 years.
- Candidates should have qualified for their NEET Examinations.
Documents Required for BDS
- 10th Marks Card.
- 12th Marks Card.
- NEET Admit Card.
- NEET Scorecard.
- Transfer Certificate.
- Migration Certificate (for out-of-state candidates).
- Birth Certificate.
- Identity Proof.
- Community Certificate, if applicable.
- Medical Certificate, if applicable.
Eligibility for MDS
- The candidate should have obtained a BDS Degree from a recognized university.
- The university should be registered with the State Dental Council.
- They should have undergone a one-year internship approved by a recognized dental college.
- The candidate should attend NEET Examinations for post-graduate dental courses conducted yearly.
- The candidate should have scored 50% percentile in NEET Examination.
- Based on the NEET Merit list, counseling will be held for admission to all postgraduate courses in dental institutions.
Important dates for NEET 2022
|Application Registration Date||April 6, 2022|
|Application Form Submission Last Date||May 20, 2022|
|Admit Card Release Date||July 12, 2022|
|Exam Date||July 17, 2022|
|Result Announcement||August 16, 2022|
Tagore Dental College Chennai is focused in providing its students with the best knowledge and experience to excel in their life and career. Sometimes, too many courses need divided attention from the management. To avoid such inconvenience Tagore Dental College is offering only one undergraduate and postgraduate course in the field of Dentistry.
Before getting into the details of the course, won’t you like to know if Dentistry is for you or not? Well, I will give a few reasons why you should go for a profession like this one.
People usually do not have comforting words for a dentist. There are many negative stereotypes about dentists like they are expensive, dissatisfied with their treatment, complaints about any side effects, and many more, so why would a student want to go for such a profession?
Reasons to choose Dentistry
- It is the ‘art and science’ of oral preventive measures.
- You can help people maintain their precious smiles.
- You can be financially independent in this profession.
- You can be self-employed and start a clinic of your own.
- Your status will be upgraded and you will be professionally recognized.
Now, you know why you should study in this field. Great! So now, let’s dive into the courses and details about them.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery
BDS is a four-year undergraduate course in addition to a one-year internship which is mandatory for all students to complete this degree and go forward in their studies. It is the only approved professional dental course.
It aims to train students in the practice of dental sciences and surgeries. The first two years are preclinical years and the other two years are clinical years wherein the students will work on patients under the guidance of the staff and faculty. During the internship period, the student comes across various complexities and learns to overcome them.
The subjects for each year are:
The above syllabus is subjected to examination, for any queries regarding the courses, you can visit the Tagore Dental College Chennai website or contact the college.
Master in Dental Surgery
It is a 3-year postgraduate course in the field of Dentistry. The main objective of the course is to train aspiring students in various domains of dentistry and register them as dental specialists. To get into this course, you are required to have completed your BDS with one year of internship and also qualify for the NEET examination.
Departments of MDS
- Prosthetics and Crown and Bridge and Implantology: It is the branch of dentistry that deals with replacements for teeth and gums. Crowns, bridges, and dental implants are some treatments that are performed under this specialization.
- Conservative Dentistry: This department is concerned with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of the tooth. It prioritizes the conservation of natural teeth.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons: The department specializes in the diagnosis and reconstructive face surgery in case of any facial disorders.
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics: It is the branch that deals with treating and reforming the shape of teeth and jaw. It treats patients who have crooked or who are not satisfied with the alignment of their teeth.
Tagore Dental College Fees
You got the information about courses you want to opt for, but the key element remains unanswered. What will be the fees to join this course in this college? I am going to answer your question right away.
The fee structure for the courses offered at Tagore Dental College:
|Course Name||Fees (First year)||Duration|
Payment Methods: There are multiple ways you can pay your fees. You can either make your payment with cash in the college or get a Demand Draft and pay your fees. If you want to pay from your home or your comfort zone, you can always choose to pay online via Net Banking or any other online option like NEFT Transfer or UPI payment.
Scholarships: There are few occasions where we find that young talent is not able to develop himself because of many unfortunate reasons. One of the reasons can be that he cannot afford his education fees. For such students, the government provides scholarships so such talents are not wasted. It helps in the development of the student as well as the country.
Educational Loans: It is comparatively difficult to get a government scholarship. There can be reasons for it such as many applications for scholarships or lack of information on the scholarship details. So, what is a student supposed to do if he requires a scholarship and doesn’t get one? In such a situation, many banks and other organizations come to the rescue. They provide educational loans to these students so that they don’t crush their dreams just because of financial instability.
Placements and Career Options
What is the main goal behind all the efforts while studying? The answer is pretty simple, we become self-independent, contribute to our family, become capable enough to settle ourselves, and most importantly, contribute to the development of our country.
How do you achieve this goal once you have completed your studies? When you get placed in a recognized company or start your own business and start earning for your development.
As we discussed earlier, dentistry is a very unique profession. Almost all doctors in the medical field start their career working in a hospital or a pharmacy and then some of them get to start their own clinic. But, when it comes to dentistry, you get to choose between working in a hospital or starting your own clinic as a fresher. The good part is that many dental students choose to start their own clinic. So the doors are always open for those aspiring students who are willing to start their careers in dentistry.
- Tagore Dental College Chennai gives its students guidance towards a proper career pathway when they are in their internship period.
- Career guidance courses are provided by the college for students who want to build a career after completing a BDS course.
- They also provide counseling on preparation for the NEET examinations to those students who want to go for post-graduation in dentistry.
- Guidance for financial management to start your own clinic is given to the students for the setup and maintenance.
- Special notice board regarding the information on the vacancies in various hospitals and organizations.
Higher Studies after BDS
After BDS, if you want to study more, you can always go for higher studies in various subjects. The benefit of pursuing higher studies is that you will gain deeper knowledge in the required field and improve your chances of getting a job in a recognized company.
Some of the master’s degrees after BDS
Masters in Dental Surgery: You can go for a general degree or you can get specialized in a subject.
Specialized Degree in MDS:
- Endodontics and Conservative Dentistry.
- Pediatric Dentistry.
- Community Dentistry.
- Radiology and Oral Medicine.
- Pedodontics and Preventative Dentistry.
- Preventive Community Dentistry.
- Oral Pathology.
- Microbiology and Oral Pathology.
- Oral Medicine.
- Public Health Dentistry.
- Maxillofacial and Oral Pathology.
- Master of Science in Prosthetics and Orthotics.
Doctoral Degree: Though MDS is the most common choice after BDS, you can also get a doctoral degree and gain proficiency in that field.
Doctorate courses after MDS:
- Doctor of Philosophy in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Public Health Dentistry.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Prosthodontic.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Oral Medicine and Radiology.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Orthodontics.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Periodontics.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry.
MBA: There are high chances of getting placed in hospital management if you opt for an MBA course after your BDS as there is a demand in Healthcare Management and it is also cheaper than an MDS course.
MBA courses after BDS:
- MBA in Hospital Management.
- MBA in Public Heath.
Cosmetology: Cosmetology courses after BDS
- Fellowship in Medical Cosmetology.
- PG Diploma in Cosmetology.
- PG Diploma in Medical Trichology.
- PG Diploma in Clinical Cosmetology.
Career Scope in Dentistry
Once you have completed either one or both the courses, you would like to know what career paths are available for you to work. Your hospital or package will vary according to the graduation degree. MDS carries higher chances of a better job role.
Job Roles in Dentistry:
- Clinical Practice: You can start your own clinic after the completion of the BDS course. Setting up a clinic requires a few points to be considered majorly as investment, an appropriate place, and all the tools and instruments you require. Once you get started with your patients, everything starts to get in place.
- Government Jobs: Rural areas require dentists so the government is giving many job opportunities to work in rural areas. You can apply for such job openings and contribute in developing the country.
- Research: You can become a dental researcher or a clinical researcher after your BDS. In clinical research, you can test healthcare devices and the efficiency of medicine. You can also contribute to forming of new medicines.
Roles in research as a BDS Graduate
- Medical advisor.
- Principal investigator.
- Drug developer.
- Clinical research physician.
Cosmetology: Nowadays, facial beauty is very important for some people and they require to have a proper set of aligned teeth. This increases the need for cosmetologists and the success rate in this career.
Forensic Dentistry: If you like watching crime movies, you can experience it in real life with this job role. You can pursue a master’s degree in forensic dentistry and work in research institutes, and forensic laboratories of criminal investigation departments.
Rankings and Achievements
How does one come across the brilliance of a college? When the college is trending with its achievements and cause engagement in many places, that is when one takes interest in knowing the college and further tries for admission to it. Let’s take a look at the achievements of Tagore Dental College Chennai so that you can get a hint of how good this college is.
Prof. M. Mala: She is the chairperson and trustee of the college and therefore she tops the list of inspiration for the students. She is a woman with vision and hard work and that has paid off very well with the awards she has achieved.
- “Wonder Woman Award” by Geo Foundation.
- “Doctor of Letters” (D. Litt).
- “Asia’s Greatest Leader and Asia’s Greatest Brand Award”.
- “Best Women Edupreneur 2015 Award” by ICT Academy of Tamilnadu”.
Prof. Dr. C. J. Venkatakrishnan: He is the principal of the college and also works as a clinician, a mentor, and a guide. With his 20 years of experience, he has gotten himself into some honorary positions which include:
- Vice President of Indian Society of Dental Research (ISDR).
- Vice President of Indian Prosthodontic Society (IPS).
- Secretary of Indian Prosthodontic Society Tamilnadu and Puducherry Regional branch.
We got to know how amazing the leading people of Tagore Dental College Chennai are, now let’s get to know about the achievements of the students of this college.
- Dr. P. Silambarasan secured 1st Rank in the AIIMS exam for MDS in the year 2020.
- 3 students of the college received a gold medal in the 32nd convocation ceremony by The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R Medical University in the year 2019.
- Many students of this college have achieved “The Pierre Fauchard Academy International Senior Student Award” and some of them are
- R. Amarnath (2020).
- Dr. Nivedha Subramaniam (2013).
- Dr. C Arun Kumar (2015).
- D.r V Saranya (2017).
- Dr. Silambarasan (2018).
- Dr. Subiksha (2019).
Located near the heart of the IT Corridor near Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR), the college embraces nature with forests nearby including Vandalur Zoo which is just 5km away from the college. You can easily locate and reach the college via different transportations.
- Infrastructure: It is a 5-floor building with classrooms, a hospital, library, labs, an auditorium, and the administration office within the building. All the types of equipment suitable for students in the respective departments are well stipulated by the DCI.
- Classrooms: The classrooms are huge enough for proper ventilation and seating arrangements for the students. The classrooms include a blackboard, LCD Projector, amplifier, and a speaker for modern methods of learning. The college provides 4 seminar rooms which are air-conditioned for regular seminars and a few other in-house occasions.
- Hostels: There are two separate hostels for boys and girls respectively. Both the hostels have a mess, a TV, indoor sports equipment, and other basic facilities.
- Girls Hostel: The hostel has 4 floors consisting of 96 rooms, dining, an Internet Room, and a Sports Room.
- Boys Hostel: The hostel has 3 floors consisting of 58 rooms, dining, and a gym.
- Transport: The college provides a bus service for students who stay far from the college. The buses are air-conditioned and well maintained. The timings and driver’s contact number are given to the student for any updates in routes or timings.
- Library: The library accommodates more than 6000 books in both issue and reference sections. Each department has its own department library. There are about 14 national and 26 international journals in the institution.
- Sports: The college believes in balancing the physical and mental health of its students. With excellent teaching aids, it also provides sports equipment like cricket and football grounds, volleyball, throwball, and badminton courts.
- Hospital: The hospital was built in 2006 at the present location. It performs all types of dental treatments which also includes advanced surgeries and treatments. In the time of emergency, the hospital also provides night service.
College Contact Details
- Address: V46Q+25V, Near Vandalur, Melakkottaiyur Post, Rathinamangalam, Tamil Nadu 600127.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is Tagore Dental College private or a government college?
The college is private.
2. When was it established?
It was established in the year 2007.
3. Where is the college located?
It is located in Rathinamangalam, Melakkottaiyur Post, Near Vandalur.
4. Is the college affiliated?
Yes, the college is affiliated with Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R Medical University Chennai.
5. Does the college have a hostel?
Yes, the college provides a separate hostel for both girls and boys.
6. How to contact the college for admissions?
For admission queries, Contact No: +91 44-30102222, Email ID: email@example.com, Website: http://www.tagoredentalcollege.com
7. What is the required NEET Percentile to get admission for MDS?
You require a 50% NEET Percentile for MDS admission.
8. Does the college provide internships?
Yes, the college provides internships for its students.
9. What is the duration to complete BDS?
It takes 5 years to complete including a 1-year internship.
If you wish to lookout for another dental college, you can follow the link below:
One Humble Ask:
Are you an alumnus or a current student of Tagore Dental College Chennai? If yes. Please do share your know-how and views about the education and campus life out there. This will just take a while but can significantly assist the dentistry aspiring students in their careers and education.