In 1993, the Ministry of Education (MoE) of Nepal and the International Society for Medical Education Private Limited (ISME) signed an agreement, and thus, the College of Medical Sciences in the quaint region of Bharatpur was established. The college strived to provide world-class healthcare affordably, and it made strides towards that goal. Today, we will learn about the best private medical college in Nepal, the College of Medical Sciences in Bharatpur.
Table of Contents
- College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur Overview
- College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur Admission
- College of Medical Sciences Courses Offered
- College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur Fee Structure
- Placements and Scope
- Rankings and Recognition
- On-Campus Facilities Offered
- Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur Overview
The College of Medical Sciences Nepal is managed by the International Society for Medical Education Private Limited. The college is affiliated with Kathmandu University and is a Nepal Medical Council-accredited medical college.
It has also achieved accreditation from the Sri Lankan and British Medical Councils. The college offers MBBS, BDS, various MD/MS, and super specialty courses, making it one of the top-rated private medical colleges in Nepal.
|Name||College of Medical Sciences|
|Address||P. O. Box 23, Bharatpur, Chitwan, Nepal.|
|Affiliated To||Kathmandu University|
|Approved By||Nepal Medical Council (NMC), Sri Lanka Medical Council, and General Medical Council of Great Britain (UK).|
|Hostel||Boys and Girls|
The college’s vision is to establish itself as a self-sufficient Center of Excellence dedicated to delivering exceptional healthcare services of the highest quality within the nation while conducting comprehensive research on pertinent local health issues and contributing to the advancement of medical services and education.
The College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur has the mission to advocate for the principles and ethics of education, to produce world-class medical and paramedical professionals.
Why Study at the College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur?
- Global Standards – The college is dedicated to producing medical and paramedical professionals of global standards, ensuring that students receive a high-quality education that meets international benchmarks.
- National and International Collaborations – The college has collaborations with various international organizations like the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh and the Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences (AFRIMS) Bangkok, Thailand, and on a national scale, it collaborates with various teaching institutions like BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences in Dharan, BP Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital, Bharatpur Government Hospital.
- Center of Excellence – With a focus on creating a center of excellence in medical education, the college provides modern facilities and state-of-the-art equipment, fostering an environment conducive to learning and specialized healthcare services.
- Ethical Values – The college actively promotes and preserves the highest values and ethics in education, instilling in students the importance of ethical conduct and professionalism in their medical careers.
- Holistic Development – Students at the College of Medical Sciences receive a comprehensive education focusing on academic excellence and their overall personal and professional growth.
College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur Admission
The college has a sanctioned number of students that it admits to various courses yearly. Here is an overview of it:
|Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)||100|
|Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)||50|
The application process at CMS Bharatpur is very straightforward. Let us now look at it:
- Step 1: Refer to the eligibility criteria specific to the course you are interested in.
- Step 2: Fill up the application form for the course on the college website.
- Step 3: Register for Nepal Medical Counseling and qualify through the counseling process.
- Step 4: Acceptance of Admission Offer Letter.
- Step 5: Congratulations! You are now a student of the College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur.
To be eligible for admission to the various courses here, a student must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must have passed Class 12th or +2 level from a recognized school board.
- Must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology at +2 level.
- Must have scored a minimum aggregate of 50% marks.
- Must score qualifying marks in Kathmandu University Medical Entrance Test (KUMET).
- Foreign nationals must score qualifying marks in the relevant medical entrance exam, like, NEET for Indian nationals.
Alternatively, students can also be eligible for admission if they have:
- Completed Bachelor of Science in Physics, Chemistry, or Biology from a recognized University.
- Must have scored a minimum aggregate of 50% marks.
- Must also meet the criteria for the +2 level eligibility.
The students must have the following documents ready at the time of their application process:
- Class 12th Marksheet.
- Passport-size photograph.
- Class 10th Marksheet.
- Government Issued Identity Cards like Aadhar cards, and PAN cards for Indian Nationals.
College of Medical Sciences Courses Offered
The College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur offers many undergraduate and postgraduate courses in medical, paramedical, and clinical sciences fields. It offers various courses covering a wide spectrum of the medical field. Let us now take a look at the course offerings in more detail.
|Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)||5.5 years|
|Bachelor in Dental Surgery (BDS)||5.5 years|
|Doctorate of Medicine (DM)||3 years|
|Master of Chirurgiae (M.Ch.)||3 years|
|Doctor of Medicine (MD)||3 years|
|Master of Surgery (MS)||3 years|
|Master of Science (M.Sc.)||1-2 years|
|Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Nursing||4 years|
|Bachelor of Medical Lab and Technology (B.M.L.T.)||4 years|
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
The College of Medical Sciences Nepal, offers the MBBS program, a professional undergraduate medical degree. The program spans five and a half years, including a one-year compulsory internship. It provides students with a comprehensive understanding of medical science and clinical practice.
The curriculum covers a wide range of essential medical subjects that provide a strong foundation for students. These subjects include anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, pathology, microbiology, forensic medicine, and community medicine. Classroom instruction and practical training in hospital settings are key components of the program.
Bachelor in Dental Surgery (BDS)
BDS is a 5-and-a-half-year-long undergraduate degree that equips students with the necessary knowledge and skills to diagnose and treat dental issues. Students learn about oral health, dental anatomy, preventive dentistry, restorative dentistry, oral surgery, orthodontics, and other dental specialties. The curriculum combines theoretical coursework with hands-on practical training, enabling students to develop dental procedures and patient care expertise.
Doctorate of Medicine (DM)
When we think of a Doctorate of Medicine, people often confuse it with a Doctor of Medicine. Although similar sounding, the Doctorate of Medicine, or DM for short, is a super-specialty course that students can do after their masters in a very specialized field. For non-medicos, it is like a Ph.D. equivalent for a doctor.
Similarly, the DM courses last for 3 years, and the curriculum here at the College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur covers every aspect of their specialties. The college offers this course in the following specialties only:
- Gastro Medicine.
Master of Chirurgiae (M.Ch.)
A Master of Chirurgiae (M.Ch.) degree is a postgraduate specialization program offered in the field of surgery. This advanced course provides in-depth knowledge and training in specific surgical specialties. M.Ch. programs are designed for medical graduates who wish to become surgical specialists and excel in their chosen fields. The M.Ch. courses typically span a duration of three years and focus on a specific surgical discipline.
Here at CMS, the college offers this course in the following disciplines:
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery.
- Gastro Surgery.
Doctor of Medicine (MD)
The MD course at CMS is a postgraduate medical degree program designed to provide aspiring physicians with advanced clinical knowledge and training. This comprehensive program prepares students for a career in various medical specialties. The program typically has a duration of three years and consists of both theoretical and clinical components.
The MD courses offered cover a wide range of specializations. Each specialization focuses on in-depth study and practical training in its respective field. The specializations offered by the college:
- Community Medicine.
- Forensic Medicine.
- General Medicine.
- Radio- Diagnosis.
- Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprosy.
- Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Master of Surgery (MS)
The College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur offers Master of Surgery (MS) courses in various specialties. The MS courses typically have three years, during which students receive theoretical and practical training. The curriculum includes a combination of classroom lectures, hands-on surgical training, clinical rotations, and research projects. The college offers MS programs in disciplines such as:
- General Surgery.
Master of Science (M.Sc.)
A Master of Science (MSc) is a postgraduate degree awarded to students who have completed advanced study in a specific field of science or technology. MSc courses are typically designed to provide students with in-depth knowledge, specialized skills, and research experience in their chosen discipline. The duration of an MSc program varies but is usually between one and two years.
At CMS, they offer MSc courses in various disciplines that, in particular, encompass the basic medical sciences, such as:
- Microbiology and Applied Molecular Biology.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Nursing
The Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Nursing program at the College of Medical Sciences in Bharatpur is an undergraduate degree program designed to prepare students for a fulfilling career as professional nurses. This four-year program focuses on equipping students with the knowledge, skills, and compassion required to provide high-quality healthcare and positively impact patients’ lives.
Students combine classroom lectures, laboratory practical sessions, and clinical rotations throughout the program. The curriculum also covers subjects such as anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, psychology, and community health nursing.
Bachelor of Medical Lab and Technology (B.M.L.T.)
The Bachelor of Medical Lab and Technology (B.M.L.T.) program at the College of Medical Sciences in Bharatpur is a comprehensive undergraduate degree that focuses on providing comprehensive training to students in various laboratory techniques and procedures essential in the medical field. This program is specifically designed to equip students with the necessary knowledge and skills to work as proficient medical laboratory technologists.
The curriculum integrates both theoretical knowledge and practical training to ensure a well-rounded education. Students participate in hands-on laboratory sessions where they learn to operate and maintain various laboratory equipment. They are trained to conduct tests, analyze samples, and interpret data accurately.
College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur Fee Structure
Now that you know how to apply and what courses it offers, the question remains: how much will it cost me? Do not worry; we will not discuss the College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur fee structure for its various courses.
|Courses||Nepal National Fees||International Candidate Fees|
|Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)||NPR 41,68,090/-||$ 75,000/-|
The college does not provide any scholarships by itself. However, the Ministry of Education (MoE) of Nepal, offers merit-based scholarships to students who have participated and achieved qualifying marks in the Kathmandu University Entrance Exam (KUET).
There are also several public and private foundations and schemes to which interested students can apply and get a scholarship for the course of their choice. For such students, it is recommended to check the official websites of such organizations and apply as per their instructions and rules.
If you’re looking for other private medical colleges in Nepal, you can also check my article on Nepal Medical College Jorpati.
Placements and Scope
The College of Medical Sciences Nepal has an attached hospital that serves as a platform for its students to train and intern at. As part of the curriculum, every student must intern at a medical facility for hands-on experience and practical training. For this purpose, the college has an edge over any other college in the country.
The attached hospital is a multi-specialty, global standard, and the first SAARC surgical hospital in the entire SAARC region. The college was the first to introduce 8 super-specialty courses and facilities. Needless to say, this makes the college an ideal place to intern and learn and one of the top destinations for professionals to work at.
Rankings and Recognition
The college has several accolades and recognitions under its name, either through its incredible medical excellence or through its highly trained and successful graduates. Some of them are:
- Recognized by the Sri Lanka Medical Council.
- Recognized by the General Medical Council of Great Britain (UK).
- WHO’s World Directory of Medical Schools has CMS enlisted in it.
- First in the world to develop the Cisternostomy technique.
- First medical college to start Carth-Lab services in 2011.
- First medical college to conduct angiography and angioplasty outside Kathmandu Valley.
- First to perform a kidney transplant at a private medical institution in 2015.
- First to offer super-specialty courses.
- First to conduct an open heart surgery outside the Kathmandu Valley.
On-Campus Facilities Offered
The College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur has become one of Nepal’s leading private medical colleges. As such, it is only to be expected that the best place to study offers the best for its students to ensure their growth and goal of being the best in the industry. Well, that’s a lot of best in one sentence.
Anyway, let us take a look at the various on-campus facilities offered by the college:
The college has a spacious library with a vast collection of medical textbooks, reference materials, journals, and online resources. Students can access these resources for research, and study, and stay updated with the latest advancements in medical science.
The college provides state-of-the-art classrooms, lecture halls, and auditoriums equipped with modern audiovisual technology to facilitate effective teaching and learning. These facilities create a conducive environment for students to engage in academic activities.
The College of Medical Sciences Bharatpur has an attached hospital serving as its teaching hospital. The hospital offers a diverse range of clinical departments and specialized units where students can gain practical experience under the guidance of experienced faculty members and healthcare professionals.
Hostel and Accommodation
The college provides separate hostel facilities for male and female students. The hostels are well-maintained, offering a comfortable and secure living environment. Additionally, there are staff quarters available for faculty members and other staff.
- Address – P. O. Box 23, Bharatpur, Chitwan, Nepal.
- Distance from Bharatpur Airport – About 1 km.
If you feel that the College of Medical Sciences is the place for you and wish to seek admission here, feel free to contact the Career Mudhra team. Our team of counselors is experts at simplifying the admission process, guiding you through the entire journey from receiving your first call to the day you are admitted to the college. So, don’t wait and call us now!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where is the college located?
The college is located at P. O. Box 23, Bharatpur, Chitwan, Nepal.
2. Is it a private or government college?
It is a private college.
3. Does the college provide placement services?
No. The college does not have a placement service, but it does provide on campus internship training and even jobs to talented and meritorious students.
4. Does the college provide hostel services?
Yes. The college provides separate accommodations for boys and girls on campus.
5. Which university is the college affiliated with?
The college is affiliated with Kathmandu University.
6. When was the college established?
The college was established in 1993.
7. Do I have to appear for any entrance exams?
Yes, the student must have achieved qualifying marks in the KUMET Test, and for non-national students, they must have qualified in the relevant medical entrance exam of their country, like NEET for Indian nationals.
8. Does the college provide transportation facilities?
The college does not provide transportation facilities; however, it is well connected to major roadways and destinations.
A Small Request
If you are reading this, then I must thank you for the time to read my blog. I know choosing a college is tough, and many questions keep popping into your mind about this or that. Well, I can feel that and understand that it’s tough to figure all this out by yourself, so don’t be shy and put forward any concerns or queries you may have regarding your career below in the comments. I assure you that I will reply in a jiffy.