Hello, everyone! Thank you for stopping by. I warmly welcome you to my blogs on dental colleges. With the admission process beginning in most colleges, I understand that you, as an applicant, are on the lookout for a college, where you can thrive academically. We have a team of professional guides to assist you in every step of the admission process and make your journey of college admission a smooth one. Now, let me brief you a little on Himachal Dental College, Sundernagar (HDC).
Table of Contents
- Himachal Dental College Overview
- Admissions Procedures
- Courses Offered
- Himachal Dental College Fees
- Placement & Career Opportunities
- Ranking & Rewards
- On-Campus Facilities Offered
- College Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
Himachal Dental College Overview
The year 1994 saw the emergence of one of the best dental institutes in India. While it took another six years to be recognised by the DCI, it only sheds light on how far they have come since its beginning. However, the power with which they have encompassed the past years until now only seems to increase. Himachal Dental College Sundernagar prides itself on its alumni who are settled in various parts of the world, serving in the armed forces, state dental health services, and civil services of the country.
|Name||Himachal Dental College|
|Address||Sundernagar, Distt. Mandi|
|Principal||Dr Baljeet Singh|
|Affiliated To||Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla|
|Approved By||Dental Council of India|
|Study Mode||Regular/ Full Time|
|Hostel||Both Boys and Girls|
Vision: The vision on which Himachal Dental College Sundernagar has embarked on its journey is
- to craft some of the best professionals in the field of dentistry who have a forward-thinking attitude. To enhance the oral health scenario as it currently exists today in the country, we need professionals that can adapt quickly when placed in any setting and Himachal Dental College is doing exactly that.
- The idea is to reach a top-notch level of infrastructure to aid the learning process in a technologically advanced manner.
- To transform its vision into a reality, the institute is trying every nook and corner. From trying to make a course curriculum that best complements the world of dentistry of the present–innovative and dynamic–to best execute through the help of able faculty members, the college is bringing a wholesome learning experience for the students. The idea is not just to have an upgraded system but to also have the equipment that can host futuristic innovations.
- To provide the latest real-time academic support services which help students to have easy and affordable access to the huge knowledge explosion and result-oriented research findings.
- To encourage and organize camps to reach out to rural masses, and educational institutes to create wider awareness and extend world-class treatment at affordable costs.
Why Choose Himachal Dental College?
The Himachal Dental College, Sundernagar has positioned itself to meet the demanding challenges of the future by imparting a comprehensive educational experience that involves an amalgamation of basic sciences, dental technology, and clinical practice to the students. The college boasts of unmatchable facilities among its counterparts in Himachal Pradesh. Let us look at some of its distinguishing features:
The institution is located far away from the chaos of city traffic which provides a suitable environment for academic activity. It is spread across an area of 5 acres in the lap of lush green and scenic hills of the mesmerizing Sunder Nagar valley, along the ambient riverside. The classes are held in large auditorium seminar halls.
- Hostel Facility
The institution provides a hostel facility for Indian and NRI residents with 24 hours of CCTV surveillance, in and around the campus. Separate accommodation is provided for boys and girls in hostels and equipped with basic facilities like a mess and water purifiers for quality, hygienic food, and water.
A library is the heart of any institution. HDC’s library provides reading material and services of the highest quality to undergraduate and postgraduate students and the staff is also provided with innumerable scientific and research materials.
- Anti-Ragging Cell
Not surprisingly enough, the college penalizes students or staff members if they are caught in the act of ragging someone. The sincerity shown by the administration to annihilate all possibilities of ragging led them to forge an anti-ragging cell. It has the sole duty to ensure that nothing of this sort ever lingers on the campus of Himachal Dental College. In addition to this, the college website has a separate page for students belonging to SC/ST or other minority communities to post their complaints.
|BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)||5 years (4 years of Academic Studies + 1 year of Rotating Internship)|
|MDS (Masters of Dental Surgery)||3 years|
Eligibility for BDS
- The candidate must have cleared their 12th board examinations with a subject combination of English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in their 10+2 final exams of HPBSE/CBSE.
- The candidate must have an ancestral background in India.
- The equivalence and eligibility of the candidate will be determined by the NEET Exam which will issue an eligibility certificate for the purpose.
Documents Required for BDS Admissions
As per university requirements, the original documents along with their photocopies duly attested by gazetted officers are required at the time of seeking of Eligibility Certificate. Only by getting these certificates, the candidate will be able to apply for admission. The documents required are given below:
- Application form.
- 10+2/equivalent examination detailed marks certificates. The certificate must show marks in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English.
- Explanation Sheet of grades (Transcript in a sealed cover).
- Pass Certificate/Diploma of 10+2 or equivalent examination.
- Detail of Grades of Qualifying examination.
- Date of Birth Certificate.
- Character Certificate from the Head of the Institution last attended.
- Proof of NRI status of candidate/parents.
- Two copies of Passport size photographs.
- Copy of Provisional student visa.
Eligibility for MDS
- Only candidates possessing a BDS degree are eligible to apply for MDS Program.
- The candidate should be NEET-MDS 2022 qualified.
- The candidate must have completed one year of compulsory rotatory internship.
Documents Required for MDS Admissions
- 10th and 12th Marksheet.
- Community/Caste Certificate.
- NEET MDS Admit Card.
- BDS Marksheet.
- Permanent/Provisional Registration Certificate issued by Dental Council of India/State Dental Council.
- Internship Completion Certificate.
- Copies of Passport and Stamp Size Photos.
- Transfer/Leaving Certificate.
- Attempt Certificate.
- Conduct Certificate.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
Himachal Dental College Sundernagar courses focus on the dental sciences while introducing students to include ethical practices in conducting operations on people. The BDS degree entails courses that require students to participate in a 5-year long program that includes a one-year mandatory internship program. Nevertheless, the curriculum and pedagogy are at par with the Top Dental Colleges in India.
Let’s see which departments inform the class’s coursework year-wise.
|Year||Departments Informing The Courses|
|First Year||General Anatomy Including Embryology and Histology
General Human Physiology & Biochemistry
Dental Anatomy, Embryology & Oral Histology
|Second Year||General Pathology and Microbiology
General and Dental Pharmacology and Therapeutics
|Third Year||General Medicine
Oral Pathology & Oral Microbiology
|Fourth Year||Oral Medicine & Radiology
Orthodontics and Dental Orthopaedics
Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge
Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics
Public Health Dentistry
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Prosthodontics and Crown & Endodontics
Masters of Dental Surgery (MDS)
MDS is a three-year course that requires students to be able to take fundamental decisions when it comes to treating serious dental conditions. Furthermore, the course curriculum is curated in a way that students are encouraged to develop the critical skills to identify knowledge gaps and prepare for ethical research schemes. MDS in Himachal Dental College has 5 specialities.
|Orthodontics and Dental Orthopaedics||
|Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics||
|Prosthodontics And Crown and Bridge||
|Pedodontics And Preventive Dentistry||
Himachal Dental College Fees
Here, we have listed a table for you to know about fee details for the BDS programme. For details about Himachal Dental College MDS fees, you may head over to the campus to talk to the administration or may reach out to us for your queries to be solved.
But let’s check what the university that the college is affiliated with has to inform us about the fees. The data collected here is from the academic year 2021-22.
BDS Quota-Wise Fee
|Category||1st Year Fee||Total Fee|
|BPL/IRDP (INR)||INR 53,240||INR 3,19,440|
|State Quota(INR)||INR 8,47,000||INR 50,82,000|
|Management Quota (INR)||INR 14,52,000||INR 87,12,000|
|NRI Quota (USD)||INR 38,326||INR 2,29,956|
|Category||Online Application Fee (One-time Payment, in INR)|
|General, NRI, and other categories||2000|
BDS Fee (For NRIs)
|Annual Hostel Fees (Individual Room)||3000|
|Annual Hostel Fees (Shared Room)||1800|
Placement & Career Opportunities
BDS is one of the sought-after courses in the line of healthcare. After the completion of a BDS degree of 5 years, one can go for MDS or Masters in Public Health. Doing masters in Public Health can help your dreams to settle abroad turn into reality. Many corporate companies and government sectors look for candidates with expertise in Public Health.
MBA in Hospital Management is a new trend among BDS graduates. The healthcare world and its dynamics’ in-depth knowledge of managerial roles bring huge opportunities to the students.
One can even pursue teaching while carrying on with their research after BDS and MDS. Furthermore, the professional can also be employed at coaching centres wherein dental aspirants can learn directly from a professional belonging to the same field.
- Dental Cosmetologist
In this era, people are very much conscious of their looks and do not shy away from spending huge amounts of money to perfect their smiles. This has led to an increase in demand for Dental Cosmetology. You can make a career in Dental Cosmetology.
Following the fourth year of the BDS program, the student must pursue a mandatory internship program for one year in any reputed hospital in India. This will help students work on the grassroots level to test their skills. Furthermore, this will help them make contacts with a professional network of dentists who will be better able to provide them with career assistance and training.
The institution has produced graduates in the field of dentistry who have carried the glory of the institution far and wide. If you want real-time placement details and in-campus opportunities that the students at HDC enjoy, you may reach out to us or the authorities to know the exact data.
Ranking & Rewards
Rankings are based on the kind of academic record and performance the college can put forward. Another parameter that is put up to the test is the infrastructure of the college and the equipment facilities provided by the college. In this regard, Himachal Dental College Sundernagar is an overachiever! Students from all over the country and the globe come and pursue their courses making way for a unique blend of positive culture, traditions, and learning environment.
On-Campus Facilities Offered
Himachal Dental College Sundernagar holds the distinction of being the first dental college in the state of Himachal Pradesh. With time, it has risen to prominence of being one of the best dental colleges in Himachal Pradesh. It offers a great learning environment for the students by providing them with top-notch teaching personnel, excellent facilities, and a commitment to help them thrive academically and personally.
The last couple of years have seen HDC grow tremendously in terms of infrastructure; faculty and volume of services provided and also significant academic achievements by the students and their substantive research accomplishments.
- Hostel Accommodation
HDC provides an excellent residential facility with a range of facilities within the campus. The accommodation is separate for girls and boys and the whole campus is under 24*7 CCTV surveillance. The rooms are provided with fans, beds, chairs, cupboards to store their essentials, and water purifiers. It also has a mess facility with veg and non-veg food options.
The campus is spread across an area of 5 acres of the lap of lush green & scenic hills of the mesmerising Sunder Nagar valley, along the ambient riverside making it an ideal place to learn & serve. It has large seminar halls where lectures are conducted regularly. The library at HDC provides students with reading material and services of the highest quality for undergraduates and postgraduates.
The faculty of any institution is an important aspect of deciding on the colleges. The faculty at HDC are highly qualified individuals capable of guiding and enlightening students. Their teaching methods are mingled with a theoretical and practical approach for the students to grasp better. Various seminars, webinars, and workshops are held on campus. The non-teaching faculty are equally helpful.
Before concluding, I just want to put this message out there for all my readers that I understand you must be going through a very stressful time of your life. Spending the entire day at school, coming back home only to run again to coaching centres and whatnot. So, let me help you with the admission process. we understand that every college has unique requirements and we don’t like to see you sweat! Contact us if you would like to avail of our expert services.
College Contact Details
Address: GVGQ+385, Sunder Nagar, Sundernagar, Mandi, Himachal Pradesh 175019.
- Email: email@example.com.
- Phone: +911907267183.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What programs does Himachal Dental College Sundernagar Offer?
Himachal Dental College offers BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) and MDS (Master of Dental Surgery) programmes.
2. What is the duration of the BDS programme?
The BDS programme is of 5 years which is inclusive of 1 year of compulsory internship.
3. What is the fee structure for the BDS programme for NRI students?
The fee structure for BDS Programme for NRI students is $60,000
4. Does the college provide hostel facilities?
Yes, the college has a hostel facility within the campus, separate for boys and girls.
5. How does the college manage ragging issues?
The college has a well-maintained anti-ragging cell and anti-ragging squad headed by the chairman and other eminent members to curb the issues of ragging.
6. Does the college accept NRI students?
Yes, the college accepts NRI students. You can refer to the eligibility requirements mentioned in this article.
7. How many specialities are there in the MDS course?
There are 5 specialities in the MDS course.
8. Do one necessarily need to take up the NEET examination to get enrolled in college?
Yes, to be admitted to the college one has to acquire a minimum passing percentile in the NEET examination.
Follow the link below to check out my detailed post on other dental colleges if you are looking for one.
One Small Ask:
You can write down your views in the comment section below about your experiences at Himachal Dental College Sundernagar if you are an alumnus or a student pursuing degree in dentistry from the college. It won’t take much of your time, but it can certainly help and guide budding dentistry aspirants in their educational careers.