Everyone has desired to become a doctor in their childhood, for some, they actually meant it and worked hard towards it and for others, it just remained a fantasy. Which category do you belong to? If you belong to the former category, and you are looking for a college that can help you turn your desire into reality, then I have got you one college that can help you with it. Let me tell you everything you need to know about Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore.
Table of Contents
- Kempegowda Medical College Overview
- Admissions at Kempegowda Medical College
- Medical Programs Offered
- Program Fees Structure
- Placements & Career Opportunities
- Ranking and Achievements
- On-Campus Facilities offered
- College Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
Kempegowda Medical College Overview
The Vokkaligara Sangha founded the Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) in 1980. The college is affiliated with the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, and recognized by the Medical Council of India, the General Medicine Council, United Kingdom, World Health Organization, and the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecologists, London.
|Name||Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore|
|Address||Banashankari 2nd Stage, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560070 · ~52.5 km|
|Affiliated to||Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences|
|Recognized by||Medical Council of India, General Medicine Council, United Kingdom, World Health Organization, and the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists, London.|
|Hostel||Boys and Girls|
A magnificent college structure has been constructed along with the Clinical Departments and KIMS Hospital, Krishna Rajendra Road, Visveswarapuram, 4 km from the College campus. The Pre-clinical and Para-clinical Departments are located at Banashankari 2nd Stage next to BDA Complex.
Background of College
On September 2, 1979, the Vokkaligara Sangha formally decided to establish a medical college beginning in 1980–1981 and requested permission from the Registrar of Bangalore University. The Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences and Hospital’s foundation stone was placed on November 30, 1980, by Shri R Gundu Rao, the Honorable Chief Minister of Karnataka.
He also announced the allocation of unoccupied land in Banashankari for the construction of a college building and dormitories. The Sangha then named Dr. M. Basavaraju, a professor of physiology, as the school’s principal on January 1st, 1981. By March of that same year, other staff members had been hired, and on March 16th, 1981, regular classes began. Since then, KIMS is celebrated on March 16th each year.
- Transmit knowledge of the national health programs and give medical students training that will enable them to manage both individual and the community’s health issues competently and in accordance with their place in society.
- Cultivate the personality traits and mindset needed for a career, such as honesty and integrity, a feeling of accountability, dependability, and the capacity to connect with or express concern for others.
- Give them the tools they need to function as a key member of healthcare teams and to prepare themselves to mobilize resources in the event of a natural disaster.
- Ensure that he or she is able to develop effective communication skills, a human attitude toward carrying out one’s professional responsibilities, and an understanding of the social, psychological, cultural, economic, and environmental elements that affect health.
- To deliver a thought-provoking learning environment that equips students for successful careers in medicine via quality teaching, patient care, and research, as well as to develop doctors who have a sense of civic obligation.
- Students will receive instruction from the institution in obtaining the information, skills, and attitude necessary to succeed as physicians with the capacity to meet the medical demands of society and be globally relevant.
- The institution must offer top-notch patient care at a fair price and top-notch healthcare services to all societal groups.
- In order to spark students’ interest in medical research and encourage them to take on research projects and assignments, the institution must offer a welcoming environment.
Admissions at Kempegowda Medical College
Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore provides admission to all those aspirants who are willing to and eligible to study for MBBS or MD/MS degree.
Course-Wise Seats Intake
Number of Seats for MBBS candidates every year
Number of Seats for MD/MS candidates with various specializations every year
|MD Comm Medicine||6|
|MD Forensic Medicine||4|
|MD General Medicine||10|
|MD Respiratory Medicine||2|
|MD Emergency Medicine||2|
|MD General Surgery||10|
Step 1: Visit the college and receive the application form after paying the application fee.
Step 2: Fill out the form and attach the required documents.
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS
- The candidate should have passed his 10 + 2 examination or any other examination considered equivalent to it by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore.
- Candidates with a BSc Examination Certificate from Bangalore University will also be considered eligible.
- The candidate should have scored an aggregate of 50% in any of the above examinations.
- The candidate should have appeared and qualified in CET or COMED-K Examination and NEET.
- The candidate should be at least age 17 or above.
Eligibility Criteria for MD/MS
- The candidate should have completed his MBBS degree from any medical college that is recognized by the Medical Council of India.
- The candidate should have completed a one-year internship.
- The State Medical Council should have registered your MBBS degree.
- The candidate should have appeared and qualified in the PG NEET Examination.
- SSLC Marks Card.
- 12th Marks Card,
- Identity Proof Document.
- KEA Registration Copy.
- Allotment and Paid Fee Copy.
- NEET Admit Card.
- NEET Rank Card.
- Original Certificates for SC/ST/OBC etc.
- Transfer Certificate.
- Migration Certificate (for Non-Karnataka Candidate).
- Eligibility Certificate by RGUHS (for Non-Karnataka Candidate).
- 3 Passport Size Color Photographs.
- For NRI Students:
- No Objection Certificate from Health and Family Welfare Department, New Delhi.
- Eligibility Certificate from RGUHS.
- Student Visa.
- Residential Certificate.
Medical Programs Offered
Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore provides an undergraduate course of MBBS and a post-graduate course of MD/MS with specializations. Let us talk about the synopsis, syllabus, and departments for both the courses.
MBBS Course & Syllabus
The course given by Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore is designed as per the rules of the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences. The duration to complete MBBS will be 4.5 years of academic education and one year of rotatory internship. For ease and comfort of the students, the first month of the MBBS course is kept as Foundation Month for students to get used to the professional course.
Syllabus for MBBS
|Year of Professional Course||Subjects|
|First Professional Year||
|Second Professional Year||
|Third Professional Year I||
|Third Professional Year II||
In between the Third Professional Year I examination and the commencement of Third Professional Year II, the students will be introduced to elective posting for 2 months where they will develop skills and gain individual experience in their area of interest.
MD/ MS Course & Specialties
The MD/MS course is intended for students who desire to advance their knowledge of medical research while pursuing a career in clinical practice.
It is ideal for students who want to have a deeper grasp of the emerging technology that doctors may use in their workplace. The entire curriculum is of a duration of 3 years which is designed to allow students to receive coaching from professionals.
MD/ MS Specializations:
Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore provides this course with various specializations such as:
- MD Anatomy.
- MD Physiology.
- MD Biochemistry.
- MD Pharmacology.
- MD Pathology.
- MD Microbiology.
- MD Comm Medicine.
- MD Forensic Medicine.
- MD Dermatology.
- MD Pediatrics.
- MD General Medicine.
- MD Radiodiagnosis.
- MD Psychiatry.
- MD Respiratory Medicine.
- MD Emergency Medicine.
- MS Ophthalmology.
- MS ENT.
- MS Orthopaedics.
- MD Anaesthesiology.
- MD General Surgery.
- MS OBG.
- Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) Hospital & Research Center, K.R Road.
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, Dr. M.H Marigowda (Hosur) Road.
- SDS Tuberculosis Sanatorium.
- Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, Dr.M.H Marigowda (Hosur) Road.
- Vokkaligara Sangha Dental College and Hospital, K.R Road.
- Central Leprosarium, Magadi Road.
- Government Epidemic Diseases Hospital, Old Madras Road
- Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology.
There are many departments available at Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science, Bangalore to help students in building a better career in their medical practice.
|Forensic Medicine & Toxicology||Respiratory Medicine|
|Comm Medicine||Emergency Medicine|
|General Medicine||Medical Education|
Program Fees Structure
As prestigious as the course of MBBS and MD/ MS is, the investment of money and hard work is also that difficult for one to manage. But if you are an enthusiast and a deserving candidate, nothing shall stop you from becoming a successful doctor. Let’s talk about the fee structure of Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore in detail.
In the first year of your academic year, along with your tuition fees, you will have to pay for other particulars too like the application fee, library fee, lab fee, transportation, and other cultural activities fees.
|Fee Particulars||CET General/SC/OBC/ST||Private Seat|
|Skill Lab Facilities as per MCI||25,000/-||25,000/-|
|KIMS Co-up Society||650/-||650/-|
MBBS Academic Fee
The fee structure is for the first year of the MBBS course.
|Course Name||CET General/SC/OBC/ST||Private Seat|
|MBBS (1st Year)||1,41,196/-||10,92,852/-|
MD/MS Academic Fee
The college provides post-graduate courses of MD/MS with various specializations in pre-clinical, para-clinical, and clinical departments. The fee structure varies according to the departments.
|Course Name||NEET (Govt.)||Private (OPN)|
|MD Comm Medicine||1,90,070/-||2,99,177/-|
|MD Forensic Medicine||1,90,070/-||2,99,177/-|
|MD General Medicine||7,13,780/-||11,50,205/-|
|MD Radio Diagnosis||7,13,780/-||11,50,205/-|
|MD Emergency Medicine||7,13,780/-||11,50,205/-|
|MD Respiratory Medicine||7,13,780/-||11,50,205/-|
|MS General Surgery||7,13,780/-||11,50,205/-|
NRI Student Quota Fee
For NRI students and other quota than government or management students will have a higher fee structure than the management quota students. The fee structure for NRI and other quota students is:
|Course Name||NRI||Other Quota|
|MBBS (1st Year)||35,12,700/-||35,12,700/-|
|MD Comm Medicine||5,15,500/-||5,15,500/-|
|MD Forensic Medicine||5,15,500/-||–|
|MD General Medicine||65,15,500/-||65,15,500/-|
|MD Radio Diagnosis||85,15,500/-||85,15,500/-|
|MD Emergency Medicine||–||–|
|MD Respiratory Medicine||–||–|
|MS General Surgery||55,15,500/-||55,15,500/-|
The student is charged 27,500/- at the time of admission, from which 15,000/- will be refunded when the student leaves the hostel. Thereafter, 2000/- is charged every month including food and accommodation.
Scholarships: There are a few occasions where we find that young talent is not able to develop himself because of many unfortunate reasons. One of the reasons can be that he cannot afford his education fees. For such students, the government provides scholarships so such talents are not wasted. It helps in the development of the student as well as the country.
Educational Loans: It is comparatively difficult to get a government scholarship. There can be reasons for it, such as many scholarship applications or lack of information on the details. So, what is a student supposed to do if he requires a scholarship and doesn’t get one? In such a situation, many banks and other organizations come to the rescue. They provide educational loans to these students so that they don’t crush their dreams just because of financial instability.
Placements & Career Opportunities
Earning a medical degree is no piece of cake, you would have invested so much money and hard work to get a medical degree certificate finally. Now, when you have received it, you would want to know what opportunities are waiting for you to grab and build a successful career.
Career Scope & Jobs After MBBS
Candidates frequently unknowingly perceive that their options after completing the MBBS course are confined to clinical practice or teaching. However, that couldn’t be further from the truth given that MBBS graduates have an almost endless array of job opportunities, This list should provide you a better understanding of the overall medical industry and assist you in determining where you fit in it, whether you already have your sights set on a certain career path or you’re still searching for promising prospects.
If you are from the crowd who are done with their academic education and willing to kickstart your career after graduation, that is also very acceptable. There are plenty of job opportunities available for you to explore.
- Assistant Doctors.
- General Physician.
- Medical Researchers.
- Healthcare Informatics.
- Medical Writers.
- Medical Professor.
- Medical Officer.
- Defense Services.
- Private and Government Hospital Employment.
Many MBBS graduates opt to study higher and gain knowledge in one field to get in-depth knowledge in any one specialization in the medical sector. Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore provides MD/MS degrees with many specializations, so you can check out those courses if you are willing to pursue higher studies.
Career & Jobs After MD/ MS
The global health sector is the biggest industry. It is anticipated that there will never be a shortage of jobs in this sector, which is increasing rapidly every day. Success is assured with correct knowledge of the subject and proper practice of it. Once the registration is done with the proper council, one can work in various positions in different sections of the health sector after completion of their MD course, or open their own firm.
Post-graduates who successfully complete their MS degree can find employment in a variety of settings, including hospitals, clinics, health centers, laboratories, medical universities, private sectors, and medical organizations. Professionals with MS qualifications can hold jobs as researchers, ophthalmologists, plastic surgeons, vascular surgeons, etc.
Job Profiles for MD/MS graduates:
- Hospital Administrator.
- General Surgeon.
- Chief Medical Officer.
Ranking and Achievements
Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore was established in 1980 by Vokkaligara Sangha. The college celebrated its Silver Jubilee in 2006. With 40+ years of experience in the academic field, the college has achieved excellence in its education and academic services. The college is affiliated with Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka.
Other than national recognition, the college has achieved recognition internationally too. It has been recognized by the General Medical Council of the United Kingdom, the World Health Organization, and the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecologists in London.
Karnataka Rajyotsava Award: Dr. MK. Sudarshan, Director of Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science, Bangalore was awarded Karnataka Rajyotsava Award in an award ceremony on 1st November 2021 for his services in the Covid-19 containment since March 2020.
On-Campus Facilities offered
The college has built 2 separate hostels for both boys and girls. Located in Banashankari, both hostels can accommodate about 200 students each. Students and interns can contact Student Welfare Officers and Wardens about any issues they may have about their academic work. Each hostel has 83 rooms with each room accommodating 2-3 students.
The hostel has dining areas where both veg and non-veg food is served. Visitors are checked by the security agency before they enter the hostel premises. The hostel is generally under control and under strict discipline, and the residents are not allowed to leave the premises on their own at night.
Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore has facilitated its students with transportation of 5 buses, one minibus, and two vans that commute between Banashankari Campus to the Hospital and other training centres.
The college’s health club is fully stocked with a Multi-functional gym, treadmills, steppers, and a trained gym instructor. There are also indoor game facilities such as chess, carrom, and table tennis. 2 synthetic tennis courts, basketball, volleyball courts, and an amphitheater.
KIMS Co-operative Society
The society is initiated to fulfill the requirements of the students and the staff for books, stationery, and other articles at affordable prices.
The hospital canteen situated in Sri Nidhi Sagar caters to the food requirements of the students as well as faculty members.
College Contact Details
Address: 30th Main Rd, near BDA Shopping Complex, Siddanna Layout, Banashankari Stage II, Banashankari, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560070.
- Email Id: email@example.com.
- Contact No: 09380249446.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When was Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Science Bangalore established?
The college was established in the year 1980.
2. Where is the college situated?
30th Main Rd, near BDA Shopping Complex, Siddanna Layout, Banashankari Stage II, Banashankari, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560070.
3. Is Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore private or government?
The college is running privately.
4. Which university is Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science affiliated with?
The college is affiliated with the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
5. What are the college recognitions?
Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore is proudly recognized by the Medical Council of India, the General Medical Council, the United Kingdom, the World Health Organization, and the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecologists, London.
6. What are courses available at Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore?
The college offers MBBS and MD/ MS courses with specializations.
7. Does the college provide internships for MBBS?
Yes, the college provides a one-year internship in the final year of MBBS.
8. What are the facilities offered at Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science Bangalore?
The college offers separate hostels for boys and girls respectively, transport facilities, a canteen, indoor sports, and a gym.
You can also follow and go through my detailed post on another medical college by simply clicking the link below:
It would be kind of you to write a review on this college and its courses below in the comment section if you have experienced studying in Kempegowda Institute Of Medical Science Bangalore. It will be a great help to our fellow medical aspirants.