The role of medical colleges in shaping the future of medicine and nurturing the next generation of healthcare professionals is paramount. KS Hegde Medical College Mangalore is one such college.
Join us on this journey as we unveil the distinctive features that set KS Hegde Medical College apart as a world-class institution dedicated to the noble mission of healing and the pursuit of knowledge in the field of medicine.
Let’s explore more about this medical academy in detail. Know about Campus facilities, student support systems, and more in this article.
Table of Contents
KS Hegde Medical College Mangalore Overview
KS Hegde Medical College was established in 1999, and it has produced competent medical professionals since the very beginning of its onset. The medical academy became a constituent college of NITTE (Deemed to be University) in 2009. It has the recognition of the Government of India and the Malaysian Medical Council.
It received an “A+” grade from NAAC, which is an assessment and accreditation body. NMC also gave its approval to many of its courses.
|Name||K.S. Hegde Medical Academy|
|Address||K S Hegde Medical Academy, P.O Deralakatte, Mangaluru – 575018 Karnataka, India|
|Affiliated to||NITTE (Deemed to be University)|
|Hostel||Boys and Girls|
To build a healthy society by providing high-quality education to the students.
To develop the medical academy into a canter of excellence and produce competent medical professionals who will become an asset to society.
Why Choose KS Hegde Medical College Mangalore?
- Infrastructure:- The institution has a variety of infrastructure like classrooms, seminar halls, board rooms, and discussion rooms with modern furniture. These facilities ensure that the students receive the best possible learning experience from the institution.
- Research opportunities:- The students, under the guidance of their teachers, have started and completed numerous projects that were funded by the university and its international partners. “Establishment of Biodosimetry laboratory at K.S. Hegde Medical Academy, Nitte (Deemed to be University)” being one of them in the year 2018-2020.
- Student Support:- The medical academy has created several rules against ragging, substance abuse, and sexual harassment within its campus. There are some enforcers that make sure that everyone follows these rules.
- Medical Education Unit:- This unit acts as a body that trains the faculties with the latest developments in the field of medical education and equips the faculty with modern teaching methods and techniques.
KS Hegde Medical College Mangalore Admission
|MD Community Medicine||5|
|MD Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprosy||5|
|MD Forensic Medicine||4|
|MD General Medicine||17|
|MD Pulmonary Medicine||2|
|MS General Surgery||12|
|MS Obstetrics and Gynaecology||6|
- Qualify NEET:- Candidates must qualify for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test conducted by (NTA) to be eligible for admission.
- Register for MCC Counselling:- After qualifying, candidates must register for MCC Counselling through its official website.
- Payment for Participation:- The candidates have to pay INR 2,05,000, where INR 2,00,000 is a refundable security deposit, which, after the counseling, will be automatically transferred to the same bank account from which the candidate had transferred the initial payment.
- Enter Options in MCC Counselling:- During MCC counseling, candidates will have to enter their preferences for medical colleges and courses.
- Seat Allotment through MCC Counselling:- Based on the candidate’s NEET rank, preferences, and availability of seats, MCC will allot seats to candidates.
- Post Allotment Procedure:- Once a candidate is allotted a seat in the medical college through MCC counseling, they must download the allotment letter from the MCC portal, report to the college within the stipulated time along with the original documents, and pay the fee to complete the admission formalities.
- Step 1:- To seek admission to the MD/MS program, students must qualify for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test, NEET-PG.
- Step 2:- NEET-PG is conducted by the National Board of Examinations (NBE). The test is generally held in January each year.
- Step 3:- NBE does not play a role in the counseling process or the allotment of seats.
- Step 4:- Students interested in NEET-PG should submit their application form online. The application process is available on the official website of NBE when a notification is issued.
- Step 5:- After the announcement of the NEET-PG results, students are encouraged to visit the MCC website. This visit is to understand the procedure of counseling specifically for Deemed/Central Universities.
- Step 6: The MCC Counseling Procedure is almost the same as the MBBS Admission Procedure.
- Step 1:- Passed an MS from an MCI-recognized medical college and a permanent registration of any State Medical Council.
- Step 2:- Admission is based on merit in NEET-SS conducted by the NBE.
- Step 3:- Kindly visit the MCC website after the announcement of the NEET-SS results to know the procedure of counseling in Deemed Universities.
|Qualifying examination||NEET-UG and 10+2 examinations from any Indian school or institution with a recognized Board|
|With subjects||Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English.|
|Minimum marks required||50% is the passing percentage required in biology, chemistry, and physics individually and combined|
|Qualifying examination||NEET- PG|
|Internship||Should have completed the 1-year internship from a recognized teaching institution|
|Other Criteria||Should have passed the final year of the MBBS course from a recognized medical institute|
|Qualifying examination||NEET- SS|
|Other Criteria||Pass an MS or equivalent examination from a medical college recognized by the MCI|
Additional documents for NRI candidates
- Passport copy of the parent.
- Parent’s resident certificate issued by the Embassy of the country.
- Employment certificate of the parent.
- Income tax documents are required as per the Income Tax Act.
KS Hegde Medical College Courses Offered
|MBBS||4.5 + 1 year of internship|
|MD Anatomy||3 years|
|MD Anesthesiology||3 years|
|MD Biochemistry||3 years|
|MD Community Medicine||3 years|
|MD Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprosy||3 years|
|MD Forensic Medicine||3 years|
|MD General Medicine||3 years|
|MD Microbiology||3 years|
|MD Paediatrics||3 years|
|MD Pathology||3 years|
|MD Pharmacology||3 years|
|MD Physiology||3 years|
|MD Psychiatry||3 years|
|MD Pulmonary Medicine||3 years|
|MD Radiodiagnosis||3 years|
|MS General Surgery||3 years|
|MS Obstetrics and Gynaecology||3 years|
|MS Opthalmology||3 years|
|MS Orthopaedics||3 years|
|MS Otorhinolaryngology||3 years|
|M.Ch Urology||3 years|
|Fellowship in Interventional Pulmonology||1 year|
MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery)
It is a professional undergraduate degree program for students aspiring to become doctors. The program prepares the students for clinical practice in hospital settings at the end of their academic year. This allows students to learn from their teachers and understand the science of diagnosing and treating a medical condition.
MD (Doctor of Medicine) and MS (Master of Surgery)
MD and MS programs are advanced degrees in the field of medicine and healthcare. These programs are typically pursued by individuals who want to become medical doctors or specialists in a particular area of medicine.
In summary, MD programs are primarily for individuals who want to become medical doctors and provide a broad foundation in medicine, while MS programs are designed for those seeking specialized roles in healthcare or healthcare administration. The choice between MD and MS depends on an individual’s career goals and interests within the healthcare field.
Super Speciality Programs
Super-specialty programs in medicine refer to advanced medical training programs that healthcare professionals can pursue after completing their basic medical education and residency training. These programs allow physicians to gain specialized expertise in a particular field of medicine. These fields are often highly focused and require intensive training and education.
These super-specialty programs typically involve additional years of training, research, and clinical experience. After completing a super-specialty program, healthcare professionals are equipped with highly specialized skills and knowledge to provide advanced care within their chosen field of medicine.
Fellowship in Interventional Pulmonology
A fellowship in Interventional Pulmonology is a specialized medical training program designed for physicians who diagnose and treat diseases of the respiratory system using minimally invasive techniques. Interventional Pulmonology is a relatively new subspecialty within the field of Pulmonology and focuses on advanced procedures that help manage various pulmonary conditions, often avoiding the need for traditional surgery.
KS Hegde Medical College Mangalore Fee Structure
The KS Hegde Medical College Mangalore Fee structure for UG, PG, and Super Speciality programs is given in the following tables.
|INR 1,44,246||INR 17,62,500||INR 28,17,000|
MD/MS and Super Speciality
|MD Anatomy||INR 18,000|
|MD Anesthesiology||INR 19,88,000|
|MD Biochemistry||INR 18,000|
|MD Community Medicine||INR 1,98,000|
|MD Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprosy||INR 29,88,000|
|MD Forensic Medicine||INR 1,98,000|
|MD General Medicine||INR 25,88,000|
|MD Microbiology||INR 1,98,000|
|MD Paediatrics||INR 29,88,000|
|MD Pathology||INR 9,88,000|
|MD Pharmacology||INR 1,98,000|
|MD Physiology||INR 18,000|
|MD Psychiatry||INR 19,88,000|
|MD Pulmonary Medicine||INR 25,88,000|
|MD Radiodiagnosis||INR 29,88,000|
|MS General Surgery||INR 25,88,000|
|MS Obstetrics and Gynaecology||INR 25,88,000|
|MS Opthalmology||INR 25,88,000|
|MS Orthopaedics||INR 29,88,000|
|MS Otorhinolaryngology||INR 25,88,000|
|M.Ch Urology||INR 18,08,000|
- Note: The fee structure for MD/MS in the NRI Quota ranges from INR 56,91,000 to INR 71,91,000.
Fellowship in Interventional Pulmonology
Learn about KS Hegde Medical College Hostel Fees in the table given below
Placement and Scope
A career in medicine can offer a wide range of opportunities and a fulfilling professional life.
The scope of an MBBS career is extensive, and it provides job security and stability due to the constant demand for healthcare professionals. However, it’s important to note that the path can be demanding and competitive, requiring years of education, training, and dedication.
Additionally, the scope and opportunities may vary from one country to another, depending on the healthcare system, regulations, and healthcare infrastructure.
The internship is a crucial and mandatory phase in the medical education journey of aspiring doctors. It typically occurs after completing the theoretical and clinical portions of the MBBS program.
The MBBS internship is a vital phase in a medical student’s education, providing them with the practical skills and experience needed to become competent and compassionate physicians.
It connects the academic and professional aspects of a medical career, preparing graduates for the challenges and responsibilities of medical practice.
The alumni of KS Hegde Medical College Mangalore act as the ambassadors of the institution. They actively participate in academic and research initiatives of the medical academy and lead their juniors by providing them with employment assistance and enlightening them with their lectures on various beneficial topics.
Review and Recognition
The medical academy has held a praiseworthy reputation since its inception.
The academy has many recognitions from the regulatory bodies of the country associated with Medical Colleges. Some of them are mentioned below:
- ‘A+’ grade was awarded to the medical academy by NAAC.
- Its programs are NMC-approved.
- The medical academy has an affiliation with NITTE that has a “Deemed to be university” status.
Student Support Services
There are various arrangements like counseling and mentoring schemes within the college. Various committees against ragging, substance abuse, and sexual harassment are present on the campus. These student welfare services strive to improve the student’s life at the campus.
The library is well equipped with an informative and relevant collection of books, spreading across a floor area of 2512 sq. meters. It can accommodate around 350 people at a time.
The library has a computer center with internet access and various medical journals. Overall it has more than 18,000 books, excluding journals and other sources of information.
The sports facilities consist of an athletic track of 400m, an indoor basketball court, and a football field, along with other courts for lawn tennis, badminton, and volleyball.
The sports facilities are well maintained and offer floodlights for most sports grounds and courts.
Justice KS Hegde Charitable Hospital is a 1000-bed hospital used for teaching the students of the Medical Academy.
It is located at Deralakatte, which is a suitable place for treating patients and teaching medical students simultaneously with its calm and quiet surroundings. It receives around 3 Lakh outpatients and 30 thousand inpatients every year. The hospital tends to the patients within and around the areas of Karnataka and Kerela.
These facilities include Cafeteria, Hostels, Music club, Literary club, Gymnasium, Transportation, etc.
- Address: K S Hegde Medical Academy, P.O Deralakatte, Mangaluru – 575018 Karnataka, India.
- Distance from:
- Airport: Mangalore Airport is 16 km from KS Hegde Medical College.
- Railway Station: Ullal railway station is 6 km from the Academy.
- Bus Station: Deralakatte Bus Stop is around 1.7 km from the Academy.
Contact us if you have any inquiries regarding the college. We’ll do all we can to assist you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. KS Hegde Medical College is private or government-operated?
A. KS Hegde Medical College is a private medical college.
Q2. Where is the KS Hegde Medical College located?
A. It is located at Mangaluru in the state of Karnataka.
Q3. Which grade did KS Hegde Medical College receive from NAAC?
A. The college received an “A+” grade from NAAC.
Q4. What is the hostel fee for a double room with A/C at KS Hegde Medical College?
A. INR 1,85,000 is the total hostel fee for a double room with A/C at the campus.
Q5. What is the MBBS fee for the private quota at KS Hegde Medical College?
A. INR 17,62,500 is the fee for the MBBS private quota at the medical college.
Q6. What is the intake capacity at KS Hegde Medical College for MBBS program?
A. 250 seats are available at the college for MBBS program.
Q7. Which is the only fellowship Program provided at KS Hegde Medical College?
A. Fellowship in Interventional Pulmonology is the only fellowship program at the college and it has a duration of 1 year.
Q8. Does KS Hegde Medical College have student support or welfare services within the campus?
A. Yes, the college has rules that are against ragging and substance abuse and other programs like meu for the faculty that indirectly benefits the students.
Note to the reader
We hope that you found the information in this article helpful. We look forward to responding to your inquiries in the space provided below for comments. We also value the time you invested in reading this article till the end.