Hello and welcome to the blog! After completing your 12th board examination, it might be difficult to decide what to do next. If it is evident that you want to study dentistry after high school, you are probably wondering which institution would be best for you. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Read this article about Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College Amritsar (SGR Institute of Dental Sciences) to learn more about what can be done next and which school is the best for your future study.
Table of Contents
- Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College Overview
- Why Choose SGR Institute of Dental Sciences?
- SGR Dental College Admissions
- Documents Required
- SGR Dental College Courses and Departments
- Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College Fees
- SGR Dental College Placements
- Ranking & Recognitions
- On-Campus Facilities Offered
- SGR Dental College Contact Details
- Frequently Asked Questions
Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College Overview
The Shiromani Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee based in Amritsar was the one organization that led to the establishment of the SGR Institute of Dental Sciences in 1992. They ensured this by forming a Trust called SGR Charitable Hospital Trust in the same year. The Punjab Government approved the launch of a BDS programme with a capacity of 60 students at this Institute, and Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar awarded its affiliation. The first batch of 60 students was admitted in 1992.
|Name||Sri Guru Ramdas Institute of Dental Sciences & Research, Amritsar|
|Address||SGR Institute of Dental Sciences & Research Grand Trunk Rd, Mall Mandi|
|Principal||Dr Kavipal Singh|
|Affiliated to||Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot|
|Approved by||Dental Council of India|
|Hostel||Boys and Girls|
- This institution is regarded as one of the greatest private colleges in northern India. Its greatest strength is its abundance of clinical material in terms of treating patients.
- The overall covered area of the college building, including the basement, is 1,05,692 square feet. The site on which this institute is located covers nearly 5 acres.
- Additionally, 6.5 acres of land are being used as staff quarters for doctors and paramedical workers as well as a playground with areas designated for sports including tennis, basketball, volleyball, football and hockey.
- To make learning more effective, the institute has included high-tech teaching tools. In student-friendly air-conditioned classrooms, learning is made fascinating and understanding is made simple. They offer fully air-conditioned departments for patient and employee comfort too.
- The high standard of this institute has been upheld for a very long time by diligent professors and students. Being a religious institution, this college’s efficient, punctual, and disciplined personnel also teach life ethics and values as taught by renowned gurus.
- Young graduates are given training, and continuous dental education programmes are frequently organised by inviting renowned experts who specialise in dentistry from all over India.
Vision: The institute’s vision is to build a centre of excellence for dental education and research with international acclaim. It is honed towards offering accessible and cost-effective dental healthcare services to rural residents and providing high-quality dental treatment that can be rendered to everyone.
Mission: The institute’s mission is to transform Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College Amritsar into a centre of academic excellence for teaching and research by implementing suitable, novel, and need-based programmes. It is to provide aspiring dentists with steady learning and to encourage learning with the necessary data and abilities.
- Patient Emergency Facility is available round the clock.
- College building with complete air conditioning.
- Separate boys’ and girls’ hostels with nice furnishings.
- Swimming pool, playground, and gym.
- Power backup available.
- Campus Wi-Fi and internet access.
- Huge parking spaces on the college campus.
- Straightforward hotline to college.
- Completely outfitted mobile dental vans.
- 500-person auditorium with central air conditioning.
- Fully functional central library with e-library service accessible.
- Elevators for patients and students.
- Modern computerized testing apparatus in the central pathology laboratory.
The institute is working towards making technology-mediated education available and changing the emphasis from teaching to learning. Their motto is to offer society’s underprivileged people the best oral health care services possible as well as to foster a spirit of research among the staff and students by encouraging, promoting, and instilling it.
Why Choose SGR Institute of Dental Sciences?
As they strive to promote high-tech dental education and services, the school is a fantastic option for anyone seeking to pursue great experience and training in the profession. The following are some of its outstanding characteristics:
The institution places a high focus on fostering in its students a set of desired values in addition to the development of their skills. Focus is placed on instilling respect and tolerance for diverse urban and rural situational crises by using appropriate ideas that are in line with social, economic, and cultural reality. To make a lasting impact, universal principles like honesty, righteousness, cooperation, and mutual understanding are emphasised and practised.
Information & Communication Technology (ICT) Based Curriculum
- The college curriculum places a strong emphasis on comprehending how medical science and technology may coexist.
- Technology advancements have produced astounding improvements in contemporary dentistry in the new global context and the SGR Institute of Dental Sciences is working toward introducing multidisciplinary features to the curriculum.
- The curriculum is structured to integrate teaching and learning using computers, information technology, and communication.
- ICT’s value-added component is provided to give students the tools they need to compete on a global scale.
- Every student who enrols in the institute participates in a two-day orientation session as part of their post-admission activities. By taking into consideration the student’s personal information and academic performance on the qualifying test, the knowledge and abilities of the students are evaluated throughout this procedure.
- Knowledge gaps are followed through and such pupils with an organic aptitude for research are given extra attention to help them succeed.
- Every year, several students from rural backgrounds are accepted, thus workshops help them to develop their interpersonal interactions, English-speaking, and communication abilities.
- The student’s grasp of the material, the technique for eliciting, and showing clinical symptoms, their investigations, differential diagnoses, and integrated patient treatment strategy are all frequently evaluated.
- The performance of the students is evaluated during the routine assessment, and corrective actions are taken, including numerous case presentations, in-depth discussions, and practice activities using models.
SGR Dental College Admissions
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
- Duration of the course: 4 years 6 months + 1-year internship.
- Intake: 150.
BDS Admission at Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College
- A special committee chosen by the government administers the candidates clearing the NEET Common Entrance Test to fill 50% of the authorized seats.
- 50% of admissions will be made under the Sikh minority quota.
- To maintain nearly complete openness in the admissions process, admission is made based on the entrance exam ranking through open counselling.
Eligibility Criteria for BDS
- Applicants should be 17 years old on or before 31st December of the year of admission to the BDS programme.
- The applicant must have completed the 10+2 exam or an equivalent test with physics, biology, and chemistry as their primary study areas.
- The candidate must have earned a minimum of 50% in the areas of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English when taken together and should have passed in these subjects individually as well.
- ST/SC/OBC candidates must have earned a minimum of 40% in the areas of physics, chemistry, biology, and English when taken together and should have passed in these subjects individually as well.
- The candidate must have obtained qualifying marks in NEET Punjab.
Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)
- Course Duration: 3 years.
- Intake: 18.
MDS Admission at Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College
- In this institute, MDS (Post Graduate Courses) are offered in six specialities, including Conservative Dentistry. Oral and maxillofacial surgery, prosthodontics and crown & bridge, orthodontics, periodontology, and paediatric dentistry, with 3 intakes in each.
- The government fills 50% of the seats through a quota system based on the NEET competitive test.
- Sikh minority quota of 50%, depending on NEET’s competitive test.
- Students are admitted to the college depending on their performance in the appropriate admission examinations.
- Open counselling is used for selecting apt candidates for the MDS programme.
Eligibility Criteria for MDS
- Candidates must possess a BDS degree from an accredited university/ university recognised by the Dental Council of India.
- Candidates who possess a 2-year diploma in a particular speciality recognised by DCI are also eligible for admission.
- Applicants belonging to the general category must have obtained a minimum of 50% marks in BDS and applicants belonging to ST/SC/OBC category must have obtained 40% marks in BDS.
- Candidates must have qualified NEET MDS.
- Admit Card for NEET exam.
- Grade Report or Rank Letter.
- Diploma and grade report for class 10 (for date of birth).
- Diploma and grade report for class 12.
- ID evidence (passport, driving licence, Aadhar, and PAN card).
- 8 passport-size photos.
- A letter of provisional allocation.
- Certified Caste (if applicable).
- PwD Certification (if applicable).
For Post Graduates
- Scorecard and Admit Card of NEET MDS..
- BDS 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-year examination mark sheets and BDS Degree Certificate.
- A permanent or provisional certificate from the DCI or Dental Council.
- A letter from the institution’s head attesting that the internship has been completed
- 10th-grade certificate as proof of age.
- Valid government identity documents (driver’s licence, PAN card, voter ID, passport, or Aadhar card).
- Certificate from a doctor attesting to physical impairment (if needed).
- SC/ST/OBC certificate (if needed).
SGR Dental College Courses and Departments
Most of the core courses offered by the college have been distributed into eight departments. The course curricula are decided upon by the Baba Farid Univerity of Health Sciences, Faridkot as well as the department faculty members. Following are the courses available at the SGR Institute of Dental Sciences:
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
BDS course is one of the technical courses that is recognised by the Dental Council of India. This course is a five-year course that requires students to emulate practical and theoretical discourses of dental surgery for four years. The last year is dedicated to a year-long rotatory internship programme that entails students broadening their knowledge base of dental conditions and their rehabilitative treatment and techniques.
- The learning process is curated to provide one-on-one attention since the BDS degree acts as the foundation of dental sciences.
- This also hints at the availability of proper infrastructure that facilitates the institute’s holistic approach toward crafting successful dental practitioners.
Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)
The MDS course requires the BDS graduates to select a specialisation course. Since their BDS degree entailed students being acquainted with the fundamentals of the dental sciences, MDS students are given a degree of professional freedom and are expected to be mildly experienced in handling experiments.
- The MDS degree is a three-year course that teaches the students to learn and practice in a dynamic and critical environment.
- Faculty members teach students the correct method of conducting ethical research and dental practices.
The following are the details for the several specialities offered by the departments of the BDS and MDS programmes of the Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College Amritsar:
Departments at SGR Dental College
|Department||Overview of the Curriculum|
|Oral Medicine and Radiology||
|Dentofacial Orthopaedics & Orthodontics||
|Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery||
|Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge||Postgraduate curriculum offer
|Conservative, Endodontics & Aesthetic Dentistry||The UG and PG students are required to perform the following clinical duties:
|Periodontology and Oral Implantology||
|Oral Pathology and Microbiology||
|Dentistry in Public Health||The Undergraduate curriculum includes
Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College Fees
The information about Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College Amritsar fee structure is shown in the table below:
|Tuition Fees Details||Amount (in INR) per year|
|Minority quota/ open quota||2,20,000|
Note: For NRI candidates, the additional fee will be charged at the rate of 44,000/- for the second, third, and fourth years of tuition, which will grow by 10% annually.
The following information relates to the new MDS entry fee structure:
|Course fees details||Amount (INR) per year|
|All Category Students||7,60,000|
Note: The mentioned fee is subject to change as per the college guidelines.
Technical colleges in India have a high fee requirement since they are constantly upgrading the equipment requirements of the labs as well as ensuring that there is no shortage of expensive chemicals in the departments.
To ease the high fee demand of the institute, the management provides scholarships to SC/ST and other underprivileged students to help them pay for their education. The majority of scholarships are government-funded. A variety of scholarships are offered to students who are members of a minority group. These are also aided by the government through minority scholarship programmes.
SGR Dental College Placements
For those who desire to build their career in dental sciences, the college offers the greatest alternatives. Several private medical hospitals hire students from the institute. The institute also provides guidance and information about government job opportunities in the field of dentistry.
Internships at Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College
- An internship of one year is required for the BDS program, it commences after the completion of 4 years and 6 months of the program.
- The student gains practical knowledge, excellent dental skills, professionalism, and research abilities during the internship.
- Students can complete their internship at any recognized dental institute.
- A BDS degree will be granted only after completion of a one-year, paid internship.
Career Opportunities for BDS graduates
- After successfully completing the B.D.S. degree, a student may start his or her own clinic. While starting your own clinic may need a significant initial investment, once it is up and running, revenues can be quite high.
- A student who has earned a B.D.S. degree can potentially find employment as a clinical researcher, where they can assess medical tools and treatments or investigate the efficacy of drugs.
- Becoming a professor might be a career path because many dental universities are looking for dental faculty with desired skills.
- In government hospitals and rural regions, there are many employment possibilities for dentists. Several government entrance tests are held every year. Interested students can apply for these jobs.
Career Opportunities for MDS graduates
- MDS graduates can seek employment at nursing homes, hospital dental departments, as faculty in dental schools, etc.
- Those who have completed MDS might engage in the Research and Advisory departments of pharmaceutical corporations and other companies that make oral care drugs and linked items.
- Dentists can also work as dental assistants or dental hygienists.
Institute’s Role in Student’s Placement
- Campus assignments are available in a variety of ways. A specialized training and placement unit at the institute selects the brightest youngster and assists him in finding a job.
- The college’s placement cell is effectively managed by a group of highly skilled individuals. It ensures comprehensive instruction and recurrently updates the students on the various job opportunities.
- The institute has a high placement rate.
- BDS students are required to do an internship, which allows them to develop a practical understanding of dentistry while also assisting them in obtaining positions in their various specialities.
Ranking & Recognitions
The NAAC gave the university an “A” rating. It is considered one of north India’s best dentistry schools. Apart from being one of the best private dentistry schools in Punjab, the NIRF ranking gives us an insight into the academic excellence of the college and is considered to be one of India’s finest dental institutions.
On-Campus Facilities Offered
The college prioritizes its curriculum, including both academics and athletics. Both the professors and the infrastructure are of the highest calibre. At this institute, campus life is very active.
The institute has established a well-equipped clinical laboratory facility with the most modern testing equipment, following the demands of the Dental Council of India. The institution’s grounds are where the institution’s centralized laboratory services are offered, and they are available 24/7. Internal and external quality control ensures the safety and quality of laboratories.
The first floor houses the primary library, which is 5000 square feet in size. There are 4286 books as well as 61 international journals with 5057 issues and 12 Indian journals with 1506 issues.
The library has a sufficient amount of space. Five contemporary computers are Internet-ready and have a broadband connection. The library has distinct areas for professors, graduate students, and undergraduates. 120 people can be accommodated in the library.
- Anti-Ragging Committee
Ragging is legally forbidden on college property, including the departments, dorms, and campus-bound public transportation. Ragging in any form is prohibited, and this rule applies to all individuals, including students, employees, and teachers.
They provide separate dormitories for males and females. There are several facilities available for use by students. CCTV cameras have been placed across the campus, dorms, and dining halls for the safety of college students.
- Grievance cell
The purpose of the grievance cell is to address all forms of complaints, to gather and assess the student’s complaints to determine if they are justified and implement the appropriate corrective measures and, if necessary, to bring them to management’s attention.
- Co-curricular Activities
Every department has a seminar room linked to it, and the campus also has a freshly constructed auditorium for organizing conferences, seminars, workshops, other college activities, and other gatherings. The arrangement of medical quizzes, debates, seminars, group discussions, guest lectures, and other extracurricular events takes place frequently.
- Extracurricular Activities
On the college campus, there is a play area where you may play basketball, badminton, volleyball, and lawn tennis. Cricket and football fields are accessible in the boy’s hostel. All hostels have indoor sports facilities, which include table tennis, chess, and carrom. The boy’s hostel has a dedicated gym and a swimming pool for physical conditioning.
The research management committee fosters research. They promote the original ideas of the students and guide them to achieve desired results. The research facilities they provide are highly advanced and it helps the students to carry out time-bound research effectively.
You must be going through an extremely anxious and distracted phase during your board and entrance exams. We are aware of this, which is why we offer services tailored especially for students trying to choose the ideal institution that fits their interests. We’ll make the admissions process painless and to transition smoothly into the next stage of your life, get in touch with us now.
SGR Dental College Contact Details
Address: GT Road Mall Mandi, Opposite, 100 Feet Rd, Golden Avenue, Amritsar, Punjab 143001.
- Phone: 0183 258 5656.
- Email: email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where is the SGR Institute of Dental Sciences located?
The institute is located at Grand Trunk Rd, Mall Mandi, Amritsar.
2. Are there hostel facilities available for students at the SGR Institute of Dental Sciences?
Yes, the institute has hostel accommodations. Boys and girls have separate hostels which are fully furnished.
3. Is the SGR Institute of Dental Sciences campus safe and secure?
Anti-ragging committee of the college creates a safe environment for students of both genders on campus and in the hostels. Ragging is explicitly prohibited everywhere on college property, including the offices, residence halls, and any public transportation that travels to or from campus.
4. How many MDS specialities does the college offer?
The college offers MDS in 6 specialities.
5. How many seats are available in each speciality of MDS?
There are 3 seats available in each speciality of MDS.
6. Do they offer scholarships at the SGR Institute of Dental Sciences?
Yes, they offer government-aided scholarships to ST/SC/OBC category students.
7. How many BDS students are admitted to the SGR Institute of Dental Sciences in any given year?
150 students are admitted to SGRDIDSR every year.
8. Do they have major facilities to carry out research?
Yes, they have every significant research facility needed to carry out various research projects. These include electronic apex locators, Pathology lab, Electrocautery units and Induction casting.
If you are looking for other dental colleges, you can go through my detailed post on:
One Small Ask:
You can show your love and support to us. If you are an alumnus or a student pursuing a degree from Sri Guru Ramdas Dental College Amritsar, please do share your views and experiences at the college campus. Your take on the college can help budding dental aspirants significantly in their future careers and educational endeavours.